The Student Room Group

Challenge yourself with a new hobby?

At uni the best way to try something new is to join a society, and if you can’t find one that interests you - you can normally start your own. And this isn’t as scary as you may think. :banana:

Starting a new hobby is a great way to meet new friends with common interests, explore your own talents and take a well-earned break from study. Here’s a list of benefits of having a hobby.

What new hobby would you get stuck into?

What society would you start?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm really into procrastination these days, but I'll probably join the society another day.
Original post by UWS
I'm really into procrastination these days, but I'll probably join the society another day.

that's a shame about the karate society! And I love the recreational crying society idea. Being openly vulnerable should be celebrated and acknowledged more.

@UWS haha...

Bridget
I literally can't live without a hobby, I just feel like there's a huge hole in my life if I've not got something enjoyable that I can focus my mind on and immerse myself into. It has to either be something where I can see marked improvements or something creative where I'm always learning something new that widens the possibilities for what I can create. When people are asked about their hobbies and they're like "erm... browsing social media and going out?" I just don't understand how you can live your life like that :lol:
(edited 5 years ago)
My uni has like 5 societies, not a lot for me to choose/join
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I literally can't live without a hobby, I just feel like there's a huge hole in my life if I've not got something enjoyable that I can focus my mind on and immerse myself into. It has to either be something where I can see marked improvements or something creative where I'm always learning something new that widens the possibilities for what I can create. When people are asked about their hobbies and they're like "erm... browsing social media and going out?" I just don't understand how you can live your life like that :lol:

Hey @It's****ingWOODY

Yeah it is great to have a hobby isn't it. I find I get bored quite easily so having something creative and fun to do always fills that gap. What is your main hobby would you say?

Bridget
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
My uni has like 5 societies, not a lot for me to choose/join

Ah that's annoying. Can you start one of your own?
Reply 7
Probably gonna have a bash at Gaeilge once my workload settles down.
Hobbies are great as you get older. Keeps your mind active and can be therapeutic.
Original post by gjd800
Probably gonna have a bash at Gaeilge once my workload settles down.

That sounds interesting - do you speak any other languages? (besides English!)

Original post by Seamus123
Hobbies are great as you get older. Keeps your mind active and can be therapeutic.

Yeah definitely therapeutic to indulge yourself in a project/hobby.
Reply 10
Original post by hallamstudents
That sounds interesting - do you speak any other languages? (besides English!)

Yeah definitely therapeutic to indulge yourself in a project/hobby.

Speak marginal amounts of French and Portuguese.

Read Sanskrit, Pāli, some Tibetan.
Hey @It's****ingWOODY

Yeah it is great to have a hobby isn't it. I find I get bored quite easily so having something creative and fun to do always fills that gap. What is your main hobby would you say?

Bridget

Is indeed :biggrin:

I seem to have a few main hobbies and sort of hop from one to another as my main focus - one could be my main focus for a few months to a few years, then I might put that on the back-burner for a while and shift most of my focus to another.

My main three are gym, cue sports and producing music. Been doing both of the latter for over 10 years. Funnily enough I'm giving both an equal amount of attention right now which contradicts what I said above aha, but I guess as I get older I'm finding that if I balance things a bit better then I get less burned out on things.

I had a long break from cue sports but I've gotten back into them again this year, and want to start getting back into the local pool leagues again after not playing in them for like 7-8 years.

As for the music, I've worked with various music genres, was producing quite a bit of house music last year just for fun, haven't made much this year but then a local artist who I worked with several years ago reached out to me as he's gotten into making Drill music and asked if I could help him put together an EP. So I'm making him a bunch of beats for that and then we're gonna split his profits, same deal we've done in the past. Think I'm gonna continue producing Drill after we're done with this project though, it's predominantly a social media driven genre and producers who get their names known make good money selling their beats online for exclusive rights, so it could turn out to be a hobby that makes me some nice cash!

The gym is a mainstay, something I'll hopefully always do until I'm old and frail and even then still do some light resistance training to keep healthy.

Anyhoo, what are your hobbies?
Original post by gjd800
Speak marginal amounts of French and Portuguese.

Read Sanskrit, Pāli, some Tibetan.

Impressive!
Reply 13
Impressive!

Ah I dunno, it's work related so a necessity to have some ability. Very nice of you to say, though!
My biggest hobby is baking, but I can't do it at uni. Not enough space, resources or money. I haven't baked since early September and I miss it.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Is indeed :biggrin:

I seem to have a few main hobbies and sort of hop from one to another as my main focus - one could be my main focus for a few months to a few years, then I might put that on the back-burner for a while and shift most of my focus to another.

My main three are gym, cue sports and producing music. Been doing both of the latter for over 10 years. Funnily enough I'm giving both an equal amount of attention right now which contradicts what I said above aha, but I guess as I get older I'm finding that if I balance things a bit better then I get less burned out on things.

I had a long break from cue sports but I've gotten back into them again this year, and want to start getting back into the local pool leagues again after not playing in them for like 7-8 years.

As for the music, I've worked with various music genres, was producing quite a bit of house music last year just for fun, haven't made much this year but then a local artist who I worked with several years ago reached out to me as he's gotten into making Drill music and asked if I could help him put together an EP. So I'm making him a bunch of beats for that and then we're gonna split his profits, same deal we've done in the past. Think I'm gonna continue producing Drill after we're done with this project though, it's predominantly a social media driven genre and producers who get their names known make good money selling their beats online for exclusive rights, so it could turn out to be a hobby that makes me some nice cash!

The gym is a mainstay, something I'll hopefully always do until I'm old and frail and even then still do some light resistance training to keep healthy.

Anyhoo, what are your hobbies?

All sounds good and great about writing your own music and collaborating with others on it. I've never got into the gym to be honest, I prefer exercising at home.

Most recently my hobbies are playing Saxophone in the university band, playing mandolin and following youtube tutorials, colouring in, headspace meditation, playing cornet in a local brass band. Playing music has been a passion of mine since I was younger.

Original post by gjd800
Ah I dunno, it's work related so a necessity to have some ability. Very nice of you to say, though!

haha no problem

Bridget
Original post by DrawTheLine
My biggest hobby is baking, but I can't do it at uni. Not enough space, resources or money. I haven't baked since early September and I miss it.

A few of my colleagues made mug cakes the other day - you should try that! https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2405644/microwave-mug-cake
A few of my colleagues made mug cakes the other day - you should try that! https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2405644/microwave-mug-cake

I love a good mug cake, but unfortunately the kind of things I like to bake are decorative cakes and cupcakes.
Original post by DrawTheLine
I love a good mug cake, but unfortunately the kind of things I like to bake are decorative cakes and cupcakes.

Ah ok well I hope you get the opportunity soon to get back into it.
Ah ok well I hope you get the opportunity soon to get back into it.

I will over the Christmas and summer breaks. I'm so excited to make gingerbread men and Christmas cupcakes soon!

Quick Reply

Latest