The Student Room Group

Should I just give up trying to put on muscle mass?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jonnyboy799
I spent ages at the gym trying to put on size and muscle but some people are just hard gainers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardgainer

I had to accept that and go to the gym to keep fit and exercise.

No such thing. Myth. Wikipedia isn't a great source, either. There's a popular phrase, that goes "there's no such thing as a hardgainer - only an undereater". Anyone can gain muscle unless they have some sort of wasting disease, which you'd know about if you had one as it's physically disabling.

To the OP - try this routine https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194

Make sure you're progressively overloading with good form over time. Weigh yourself once a month. For the next year, if you've not gained a kilo compared to last month, increase calories by 500. Make sure you're sleeping enough. You don't need to eat clean, the difference between eating clean vs "dirty" when it comes to results in negligible when calories are equal and quality proteins are consumed in adequate amounts. Don't eat like a slob either, but just eat normal foods you enjoy that go toward a calorie total, and consume around 100-150g of protein per day. Be consistent with your diet and training and give your worksets an honest effort.

If you follow my advice here correctly, you cannot fail to gain muscle. It's a very simple process that, if you stick to and are smart about, you'll eventually wonder how you managed to f*** it up so badly as a beginner.
You're taller than me but weigh like the same as me. Eat up boiiiii but don't let it get to your head and have a body disordia
Original post by WaffleApple

You need to start thinking like a bodybuilder and not like a crossfit guy. You don't need to be eating steak, chicken and expensive food items.

you what
Original post by Bang Outta Order
you what

What? Lol
Original post by akash3141
My height is 180 centimetres and my weight is roughly 66kg. I have a very skinny physique.

I started going to the gym at the start of the summer and I was doing it ALL. I had a diet plan and was going to the gym 6 days a week with a chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/legs split and abs everyday. Fast forward to mid September and my weight was 67 kg (which probably was because weight varies throughout the day anyway).

Trust me when I say this, my diet plan was HARD to follow. All clean foods with high protein content and roughly 3,000 calories a day. I'm surprised why it made no difference? Also I thought the least that would happen considering i'm skinny anyway is that i'd get abs but even that didn't happen.

Are my genetics really that ****? I'm not manlet height but i'm not lanklet height either so I don't get why i'm not making any gains or putting on any weight? Any suggestions?

that's not very skinny. I'm sure you are on the lower end of the of the healthy range of the BMI scale
Original post by akash3141
My height is 180 centimetres and my weight is roughly 66kg. I have a very skinny physique.

I started going to the gym at the start of the summer and I was doing it ALL. I had a diet plan and was going to the gym 6 days a week with a chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/legs split and abs everyday. Fast forward to mid September and my weight was 67 kg (which probably was because weight varies throughout the day anyway).

Trust me when I say this, my diet plan was HARD to follow. All clean foods with high protein content and roughly 3,000 calories a day. I'm surprised why it made no difference? Also I thought the least that would happen considering i'm skinny anyway is that i'd get abs but even that didn't happen.

Are my genetics really that ****? I'm not manlet height but i'm not lanklet height either so I don't get why i'm not making any gains or putting on any weight? Any suggestions?

So have you seen a dietitian? How many carbs do you eat per day? What is your body type?
Original post by shortgirl96
So have you seen a dietitian? How many carbs do you eat per day? What is your body type?

First of all this a 1 year old thread, secondly you don't need to see a dietitian for someone to tell you to eat in a caloric surplus. Number of carbs a day don't inherently affect weight and if you are referring to somatotypes that theory has been debunked.

Quick Reply

Latest