The Student Room Group

School

Hey guys I'm in year 10 do I need geography to be a doctor????thank you!!
No you don't. You just need really good gcse's (at least 8 gcse's) including Maths, English Language and preferably triple Science.
Reply 2
Original post by Zalvager
No you don't. You just need really good gcse's (at least 8 gcse's) including Maths, English Language and preferably triple Science.

Thank u so much for the advice but I am new in the uk and I don't which GCSES should I pick to be a doctor and my teachers told me to pick 3 subjects can u tell me what should I pick to become a doctor plz?? Thank u
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Varia.soofi
Thank u so much for the advice but I am new in the uk and I don't which GCSES should I pick to be a doctor and my teachers told me to pick 3 subjects can u tell me what should I pick to become a doctor plz?? Thank u

Triple science is good (but you don't NEED it) and then english and maths. For your other subjects pick anything you are good at / will get a good grade in / that you enjoy
Reply 4
Original post by Bill Nye
Triple science is good (but you don't NEED it) and then english and maths. For your other subjects pick anything you are good at / will get a good grade in / that you enjoy

I wanna pick triple science n French but about the other subject I don't know wa to pick I'm soo confused anyways thank u so much
I wanna pick triple science n French but about the other subject I don't know wa to pick I'm soo confused anyways thank u so much

What other subjects do you enjoy? The way I picked my options was literally just by looking at what subjects I enjoy.

But if you don't like any of the other options, I would say pick the one you hate the least? :tongue:

Pickinf french and triple science is fine though :smile:

Those two choices are good. Pick things you enjoy as GCSE choices don't matter that much when applying to university so just pick something you will enjoy and you can get a good grade in.
Like the others said, Triple Science is a good one to have but isn't required. :smile:

Preferably pick subjects you enjoy, that way you'll (hopefully) do well. You'll also find you have more interest and focus more if you enjoy the subject. It's much more beneficial.

If you chose a subject and find yourself not enjoying it/you find it too difficult etc you can always ask your head of year or whoever organises it in your school if you can switch subject. Just don't leave it too late whilst also giving it a chance to see if the subject improves.

Best of luck!
Reply 8
What other subjects do you enjoy? The way I picked my options was literally just by looking at what subjects I enjoy.

But if you don't like any of the other options, I would say pick the one you hate the least? :tongue:

Pickinf french and triple science is fine though :smile:

Maybe I will pick geography but I'm not sure bcz I don't really like geography n history n I don't know which other subject is good to pick
Reply 9
Those two choices are good. Pick things you enjoy as GCSE choices don't matter that much when applying to university so just pick something you will enjoy and you can get a good grade in.

Thank you but I wanna pick a good subject bcz I wanna be a doctor ☹️😩
Original post by xVB
Like the others said, Triple Science is a good one to have but isn't required. :smile:

Preferably pick subjects you enjoy, that way you'll (hopefully) do well. You'll also find you have more interest and focus more if you enjoy the subject. It's much more beneficial.

If you chose a subject and find yourself not enjoying it/you find it too difficult etc you can always ask your head of year or whoever organises it in your school if you can switch subject. Just don't leave it too late whilst also giving it a chance to see if the subject improves.

Best of luck!

Thank u so much for the advice appreciate so much I will do exactly what u said ❤️🙏

Your subjects mean NOTHING for medicine. Take whatever you enjoy - it doesn't need to be a facilitating subjects like history or geography.
The only reason triple science is useful (not needed, but it helps) is because you have to take biology and chemistry at A-Level, and taking triple science will help with the transition to A-Level. It's not because unis like too see that you have taken it.

Picking geography will be worse than picking a subject you enjoy. If you don't enjoy a subject, you will be bored in lessons and won't want to work hard for it. That means that you will get a lower grade in it.

Pick any subject you enjoy. It doesn't need to be a 'facilitating' subject or a humanities subject.

there is no such thing as a "good subject" at gcse. GCSE choices don't even get looked at, literally just the grades. If you pick something you won't enjoy just because you think it looks better this could do a lot more harm than good on your application. But it's your choice.
No.
Your subjects mean NOTHING for medicine. Take whatever you enjoy - it doesn't need to be a facilitating subjects like history or geography.
The only reason triple science is useful (not needed, but it helps) is because you have to take biology and chemistry at A-Level, and taking triple science will help with the transition to A-Level. It's not because unis like too see that you have taken it.

Picking geography will be worse than picking a subject you enjoy. If you don't enjoy a subject, you will be bored in lessons and won't want to work hard for it. That means that you will get a lower grade in it.

Pick any subject you enjoy. It doesn't need to be a 'facilitating' subject or a humanities subject.

Thank uu soo much for the advice I almost pick a geography even I hate it I will do what u said thanks again❤️🙏
there is no such thing as a "good subject" at gcse. GCSE choices don't even get looked at, literally just the grades. If you pick something you won't enjoy just because you think it looks better this could do a lot more harm than good on your application. But it's your choice.

Thanks for the advice I will do what u said❤️🙏

Quick Reply

Latest