The Student Room Group

Anyone else taking the Oxford MLAT?

Anyone else taking the MLATthis year? I'll be doing the linguistics portion!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yup, what are you applying for?
Original post by cxralreef
Yup, what are you applying for?

Linguistics and Psychology, you?
French and Portuguese (ab initio)
How's the prep going?
How's the prep going?

Nice pick. I actually originally thought about Spanish and Linguistics, but I decided psychology would make a better combo.

As for the prep, it's going decently well. It's kind of a pain that there are only two answer keys provided, which makes it difficult for the data analysis portion, but the translation isn't so bad. I also have to take the TSA, which I'm having to put more time into (can't get over 63 as of yet).

What about you?
It's going well but timing is a huge issue for me on the language aptitude portion of the paper. I'm not sure how many people are actually able to finish the LAT or what the average mark is so I honestly don't know how to feel about it
Reply 7
i'm going in for linguistics and spanish! i'm quite nervous for it as well
I'm doing the Spanish one (for history and Spanish). I'm revising a lot of the grammar but it's hard to say how I'll do on it. For example I find it difficult to mark my own translations as the Mark schemes just give one answer and its not clear how flexible they are
Reply 9
Original post by liverninthered
I'm doing the Spanish one (for history and Spanish). I'm revising a lot of the grammar but it's hard to say how I'll do on it. For example I find it difficult to mark my own translations as the Mark schemes just give one answer and its not clear how flexible they are

i feel this way too. idk if they're looking for more of an interpretation than a translation sometimes
It's going well but timing is a huge issue for me on the language aptitude portion of the paper. I'm not sure how many people are actually able to finish the LAT or what the average mark is so I honestly don't know how to feel about it

With practice, you can def. do well on the LAT. Try working through some linguistics puzzles. Here are the ones I've been doing:

https://www.uklo.org/problems-2017

https://lingclub.mycpanel.princeton.edu/challenge/index.php

There are answer keys and youtube tutorials if you need help, it's all about strategy. Since working on these I've actually found the translation portion of the Linguistcs portion to be decently easy, and I usually finish in 10-15 which leaves me plenty of time for the rest of the paper.

You still have plenty of time to do really improve. I think the average mark is something like 60-70.
Original post by jmrami
i'm going in for linguistics and spanish! i'm quite nervous for it as well

Awesome choice! I originally considered that choice too! Yeah, it definitely doesn't help that they don't provide many past papers either :/ Gotta work it out as I go.

Yeah 😐

Do you have a language partner or Facebook group you can ask?
Original post by RainbowParrot
Yeah 😐

Do you have a language partner or Facebook group you can ask?

Not sure what you mean by a language partner?? But I've asked my teacher to mark some which has been useful
Not sure what you mean by a language partner?? But I've asked my teacher to mark some which has been useful

Well, I use a site called italki where I find partners from Spain to do practice exchanges with (they want to learn English and I want to learn Spanish so we speak through Skype for 15 mins in each language), and through there I've made some friends who have been happy to help me with translations and all that. It's been helpful for when my tutor is not around.

Anyways, if your teacher is happy to help, I think that's a much better option! :smile:
With practice, you can def. do well on the LAT. Try working through some linguistics puzzles. Here are the ones I've been doing:

https://www.uklo.org/problems-2017

https://lingclub.mycpanel.princeton.edu/challenge/index.php

There are answer keys and youtube tutorials if you need help, it's all about strategy. Since working on these I've actually found the translation portion of the Linguistcs portion to be decently easy, and I usually finish in 10-15 which leaves me plenty of time for the rest of the paper.

You still have plenty of time to do really improve. I think the average mark is something like 60-70.

THANK YOUUUU, I'd basically run out of papers to do
Reply 16
Linguistics and Psychology, you?

also applied for this! so rare to find others applying
(edited 5 years ago)
THANK YOUUUU, I'd basically run out of papers to do

No problem, just happy to pass on some good vibes :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by golden1
also applied for this! so rare to find others applying

I know, you're the first person I've found who has applied for the same course as me! It's hard to find others to talk about answers with 😆

Hey, if I made a group based on the Linguistics test where we could talk about our answers to the past papers with no answers, would you be interested? I saw some people do this last year
Reply 19
I know, you're the first person I've found who has applied for the same course as me! It's hard to find others to talk about answers with 😆

Hey, if I made a group based on the Linguistics test where we could talk about our answers to the past papers with no answers, would you be interested? I saw some people do this last year

exactly! the course is not overly competitive

I think that’s a great idea and it may encourage others to join. it’s really annoying that the answers for only 2 years are available I tried looking for the answers for the others online but can’t find anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending