The Student Room Group

Are you for or against same sex marriage and same sex adoption

I'm pro both but I would like to hear and challenge the views of others

Scroll to see replies

Not against it but I think a child should grow up with a father and mother.
Original post by Shumi2001
Not against it but I think a child should grow up with a father and mother.

Does that mean you don’t like single mothers/fathers either
Neither, I couldn’t care less.
I'm pro both as well. I think as human beings we should realize that we have certain preferences despite our biological sex and get over the prejudices. We're all human and our sexuality does not matter. To people who say "it is not natural", that is true in the sense that people in question cannot reproduce, however there are plenty of species other than humans and, in fact, some human ancestors who were homosexual implying it is natural.
Reply 5
Isn't saying that I have no issues with gay marriage - Islamophobic? :biggrin:
Against
Original post by Kirarater
Against

May I ask why?
Original post by Lackluster5678
May I ask why?

No, you may not.
Reply 9
Against

a child should grow up knowing that his/her parents are Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve
Original post by shellop
Against

a child should grow up knowing that his/her parents are Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve

Say if their biological parents are unable to look after their kids but then 2 Gay women who have the money and love want to give it to the children, would you say that the 2 women should still not be allowed to adopt?
(edited 5 years ago)
Say if their biological parents are unable to look after but then 2 Gay women who have the money and love want to give it to the child, would you say that the 2 women should still not be allowed to adopt?

yes. theres still plenty of heterosexual couples out there who have the love and money to be able to give a child a normal upbringing so theres no reason why they shouldn't go to them.
As a bi woman I don't know if I'll end up with a same-sex or opposite sex partner. But adoption is something that's been on my mind for over 10yrs.

I don't think who I end up with should make a difference to the fact I want to raise a child someday.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by shellop
yes. theres still plenty of heterosexual couples out there who have the love and money to be able to give a child a normal upbringing so theres no reason why they shouldn't go to them.

How would deal with the isssue of there being so many children in foster care despite there being as you put it 'plenty' hetro couples who want to adopt.
A child will be better off with a family, living in a proper home, than living in care or an orphanage. So yes, I'm for same-sex couples being allowed to adopt.
Against.
Original post by random_matt
Against.

May I ask why?
How would deal with the isssue of there being so many children in foster care despite there being as you put it 'plenty' hetro couples who want to adopt.

because the adoption process is never an easy one. just like anything in life, you have to jump through a million hoops just to get your name on the adoption register and then get through all the paperwork etc in order to be an eligible candidate. one wrong move and you could lose all chances. even things like losing your job, getting into trouble, getting divorced can always work against you. thats kinda the reason why social services are so flawed, they like to overcomplicate everything and as a result children are going to crappy families whilst decent people who have the potential to make amazing parents are still left waiting.
its a lot more complicated than you think. then theres the kid to take into account, sometimes they don't sit well with the family they are given to. and many families prefer to adopt babies or young kids, so once many of them reach a certain age it becomes harder for them to find a family
Original post by shellop
Against

What about eve and Niamh?
Why give a s•h•i•t•e when men and women literally beat their own kids to death?
Original post by shellop
because the adoption process is never an easy one. just like anything in life, you have to jump through a million hoops just to get your name on the adoption register and then get through all the paperwork etc in order to be an eligible candidate. one wrong move and you could lose all chances. even things like losing your job, getting into trouble, getting divorced can always work against you. thats kinda the reason why social services are so flawed, they like to overcomplicate everything and as a result children are going to crappy families whilst decent people who have the potential to make amazing parents are still left waiting.
its a lot more complicated than you think. then theres the kid to take into account, sometimes they don't sit well with the family they are given to. and many families prefer to adopt babies or young kids, so once many of them reach a certain age it becomes harder for them to find a family

I understand it is hars and long but hard vetting is needed to make sure the kid ends up in a better environment than the foster care system. I'm not going to pretend it is perfect but how would you change it?
May i also ask what your thoughts are on sperm donation, surogacy and IVF are?

Quick Reply