The Student Room Group

Failed english

I failed English language as I never understand the effect in the reader and I am retaking paper 1 on the 5th November and paper 2 on the 7th, I’m with aqua and overall I just don’t get English, if you could give me some helpful tips on how to pass that would be brilliant thanks, :smile:))
Hey man,
I had the exact same problem as you really. I didn't understand English Language, although I was really good at analysing (especially in media studies), and I got a 3 around a week or 2 before my real exam.

I know you're only asking for effects on the reader but make sure you secure your other marks too. Search "AQA English Language Paper 1 Question 3 Further Insights" on Google and I promise you will get 8 marks along with some effort.

In terms of your real question I think you're asking for help in paper 1 question 2 and 4 and paper 2 question 3.

P1 Q2:
Make sure to write about sentence forms. PLEASE! it's easy to describe this. for example if the writer uses a short sentence whilst writing about a racing car, say like this sentence suggests the high speed of the car or if the writing is about a road trip you can say that about long sentences ( bad examples but I hope you get the idea). All texts has contrast and conflict so you can definitely write about those. Also in your last paragraph say "Overall, the writer creates an element of (for example) man-society conflict". I wrote this in last years exam and it suited really well with the text. search up all the types of novel conflicts and apply one of them depending on the theme of the text.

As for question 4 man, I cant really hell because I just waffled as I didn't understand what to write either. But I can say write about the tone and register of the reader.

For P2 Q3 it's kind of a combination of P1 Q2 and Q3 (I mean I did it like that).

If you're wondering about my grade, it's a 6. if you don't want to take my advice that's all you man but this is what I found to be effective.

I said man but you might be a girl :biggrin:
gl in your exams and I hope you'll pass with some hard work
Original post by RageQuitter
Hey man,
I had the exact same problem as you really. I didn't understand English Language, although I was really good at analysing (especially in media studies), and I got a 3 around a week or 2 before my real exam.

I know you're only asking for effects on the reader but make sure you secure your other marks too. Search "AQA English Language Paper 1 Question 3 Further Insights" on Google and I promise you will get 8 marks along with some effort.

In terms of your real question I think you're asking for help in paper 1 question 2 and 4 and paper 2 question 3.

P1 Q2:
Make sure to write about sentence forms. PLEASE! it's easy to describe this. for example if the writer uses a short sentence whilst writing about a racing car, say like this sentence suggests the high speed of the car or if the writing is about a road trip you can say that about long sentences ( bad examples but I hope you get the idea). All texts has contrast and conflict so you can definitely write about those. Also in your last paragraph say "Overall, the writer creates an element of (for example) man-society conflict". I wrote this in last years exam and it suited really well with the text. search up all the types of novel conflicts and apply one of them depending on the theme of the text.

As for question 4 man, I cant really hell because I just waffled as I didn't understand what to write either. But I can say write about the tone and register of the reader.

For P2 Q3 it's kind of a combination of P1 Q2 and Q3 (I mean I did it like that).

If you're wondering about my grade, it's a 6. if you don't want to take my advice that's all you man but this is what I found to be effective.

I said man but you might be a girl :biggrin:
gl in your exams and I hope you'll pass with some hard work

Your advice sounds really good thank you!!! I guess I’ll just have to keep revising and doing old papers until I’ve got it down to a t, (yay me). I am a girl by the way man 😂😂 anyways thanks again and I’ll try and keep u posted on how well my exam goes, hopefully with a tad of luck I’ll do well but I can only hope, thanks again!!!

Quick Reply

Latest