The Student Room Group

What is the role of water in the reaction with calcium?

Hi, I don't really understand this question, it's a question on group 2 alkaline earth metals and I've done the first part of writing an ionic equation for calcium in an excess of water.
It now asks what is the role of water and I don't understand. Is it to provide hydroxide ions?
Original post by deathnote123
Hi, I don't really understand this question, it's a question on group 2 alkaline earth metals and I've done the first part of writing an ionic equation for calcium in an excess of water.
It now asks what is the role of water and I don't understand. Is it to provide hydroxide ions?

"This question?" What question?
Original post by Reality Check
"This question?" What question?

This question is about the elements in Group 2 and their compounds.

(a) Use the Periodic Table to deduce the full electron configuration of calcium. ........................................................................................................................ (1)

(b) Write an ionic equation, with state symbols, to show the reaction of calcium with an excess of water. ........................................................................................................................ (1)

c) State the role of water in the reaction with calcium. ........................................................................................................................ (1)

I need help with c please...
This question is about the elements in Group 2 and their compounds.

(a) Use the Periodic Table to deduce the full electron configuration of calcium. ........................................................................................................................ (1)

(b) Write an ionic equation, with state symbols, to show the reaction of calcium with an excess of water. ........................................................................................................................ (1)

c) State the role of water in the reaction with calcium. ........................................................................................................................ (1)

I need help with c please...

Calcium provides electrons, so the water accepts the electrons ...
Original post by charco
Calcium provides electrons, so the water accepts the electrons ...

Ok, so does this have something to do with redox? Like oxidising agents and reducing agents?
Ok, so does this have something to do with redox? Like oxidising agents and reducing agents?

This has everything to do with redox :smile:
Original post by charco
This has everything to do with redox :smile:

So, the water reduces itself by gaining electrons and the calcium oxidises. Hence, it's the oxidising agent for calcium?
Thank you so much charco you help me soooo much no matter what, thanks again!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest