The Student Room Group

What A-levels are necessary to do CyberSecurity/Computer Forensics at University?

I'm in Year 11 right now and I'm really interested in doing CyberSecurity/Computer Forensics at Uni. I haven't done my GCSE's yet, but I have my mocks coming up in less than a month, and I'm in the middle of applying for the Sixth Form at my school. I just wanted to know what to do for A-levels. Right now, I was thinking of doing Computer Science for my first subject, Maths 2nd, Business Studies 3rd and Digital Media 4th. Are these good subjects for getting into CyberSecurity/Computer Forensics? If not Digital Media I was thinking of maybe taking Electronics for my 4th Subject. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Your choices sound like a good mix for CyberSec/Computer Forensics. A level Maths and Computing would be a big plus, but by no means necessary as they'll teach you most of the necessary content in your first year. I would say replace media studies with Electronics if you feel you must do a fourth A level. Most universities typically require applicants to have 3 A levels unless you're applying to Oxbridge/Imperial. So don't put unnecessary stress on yourself by taking a fourth A level.

Doing A levels you know you'll do well in would be much more beneficial than forcing yourself to take subjects which you may not like. Therefore make choices based on the subjects you enjoy.
Thank you so much.
I was really starting to stress about what A-levels I should take, but this really helped. Thank you again.
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Your choices sound like a good mix for CyberSec/Computer Forensics. A level Maths and Computing would be a big plus, but by no means necessary as they'll teach you most of the necessary content in your first year. I would say replace media studies with Electronics if you feel you must do a fourth A level. Most universities typically require applicants to have 3 A levels unless you're applying to Oxbridge/Imperial. So don't put unnecessary stress on yourself by taking a fourth A level.

Doing A levels you know you'll do well in would be much more beneficial than forcing yourself to take subjects which you may not like. Therefore make choices based on the subjects you enjoy.
Reply 3
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Most universities typically require applicants to have 3 A levels unless you're applying to Oxbridge/Imperial. .

They also only require 3 A-levels :wink:

The only time anyone should *consider* doing 4 is if two of them are Maths & Further Maths, and even then Maths & FM plus one other is almost always absolutely fine.
Thank you very much, I'm not the best at Maths so I think I'll avoid Further Maths
Original post by Doonesbury

The only time anyone should *consider* doing 4 is if two of them are Maths & Further Maths, and even then Maths & FM plus one other is almost always absolutely fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Beast_of_Wakanda
Thank you very much, I'm not the best at Maths so I think I'll avoid Further Maths

CompSci and Maths are excellent for your intended course and career. If you enjoy electronics I think that would be an good 3rd subject - although it's not commonly taught - so if it's available at your school go for it.
(edited 5 years ago)
So I should drop business for electronics?

CompSci and Maths are excellent for your intended course and career. If you enjoy electronics I think that would be an good 3rd subject - although it's not commonly taught - so if it's available at your school go for it.
Reply 7
So I should drop business for electronics?

Do whichever you think you will enjoy the most and get the best grade in.
OK, I think I'll take business over Electronics, but I've put Electronics as a 4th 'spare' subject anyway.
Thank you very much for your time and your help.

Do whichever you think you will enjoy the most and get the best grade in.
Reply 9
OK, I think I'll take business over Electronics, but I've put Electronics as a 4th 'spare' subject anyway.
Thank you very much for your time and your help.

I'd suggest doing an EPQ in preference to a "spare" 4th AS.

Thought as such.

I'd suggest doing an EPQ in preference to a "spare" 4th AS.

This. I done an EPQ in year 12 and not only did it help massively with university applications, it sets students up really well for the kinds of work assigned to you at university also.
How do I do an EPQ? What courses count as one?
Thank you
Reply 12
How do I do an EPQ? What courses count as one?
Thank you

It's not a course it's an extended project. Eg you could write an essay (also known as a dissertation) about a topic related to cyber security.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Project_Qualification
Ah, I see. I was planning on doing one anyway; I thought it was mandatory. Thank you very much.
Reply 14
Ah, I see. I was planning on doing one anyway; I thought it was mandatory. Thank you very much.

Definitely don't do 4 subjects PLUS an EPQ. :nope:

Posted from TSR Mobile
An EPQ can just be a dissertation, right? I wasn't really planning of doing 4 subjects, but does that mean I would have to do one for each 4 subjects?
Id check the unis websites to make see if theres any specific subjects they require.
I've checked pretty much all the Uni's in my area and none of them say what specific A-levels to do. They all say something like "ABB/BBC"
Reply 18
I've checked pretty much all the Uni's in my area and none of them say what specific A-levels to do. They all say something like "ABB/BBC"

Check out the 2 Cyber Security degrees that have been certified by GCHQ/NCSC (National Cyber Security Centre a part of GCHQ)

Royal Holloway, University of London - BSc Computer Science (Information Security) - AAB-ABB with (one of) Computer Science, Maths or Physics A level required
University of Warwick - BSc Cyber Security - AAB with STEM subjects preferred
Reply 19
Original post by yt7777
Check out the 2 Cyber Security degrees that have been certified by GCHQ/NCSC (National Cyber Security Centre a part of GCHQ)

Royal Holloway, University of London - BSc Computer Science (Information Security) - AAB-ABB with (one of) Computer Science, Maths or Physics A level required
University of Warwick - BSc Cyber Security - AAB with STEM subjects preferred

Maths and Computing plus one other meets both of those. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending