The Student Room Group

Grades needed for dentistry

Realistically what grades are needed for dentistry. I know many universities say you need 5 or more grade 6s (Bs) but I know that you most likely wouldn’t get an offer with those grades at GCSE.

Plus what grades would you need if you were to do a five year course? GCSE and Alevel?

Any help would be appreciated
Original post by Gurdeepthelegend
Realistically what grades are needed for dentistry. I know many universities say you need 5 or more grade 6s (Bs) but I know that you most likely wouldn’t get an offer with those grades at GCSE.

Plus what grades would you need if you were to do a five year course? GCSE and Alevel?

I thought it was 5 or more 7’s

Firstly each university has there own requirements for example cardiff and Birmingham both require A in English language, as well as Birmingham requiring A*A* in chemistry and biology or you would be rejected straight away.

For A-levels, when you apply universities require a minimum of AAA predicted depending on university, as kings and queens london is A*AA
Original post by bigmanjj
Firstly each university has there own requirements for example cardiff and Birmingham both require A in English language, as well as Birmingham requiring A*A* in chemistry and biology or you would be rejected straight away.

For A-levels, when you apply universities require a minimum of AAA predicted depending on university, as kings and queens london is A*AA

I got
Eng lit 8 (A*)
Eng Lang 6 (B)
Maths 7 (A)
Bio 6
Chem 6
Physics 6
Geography 6
History 7
RS 7
ICT A*
German 7

I think I’m gonna be predicted ABB (maths,bio,chem). Do you know any unis that may accept me?
I got
Eng lit 8 (A*)
Eng Lang 6 (B)
Maths 7 (A)
Bio 6
Chem 6
Physics 6
Geography 6
History 7
RS 7
ICT A*
German 7

I think I’m gonna be predicted ABB (maths,bio,chem). Do you know any unis that may accept me?

So I guess your in AS currently. I’m in year 13 and I have just applied. I’m predicted 4A*s which was based on my AS results. I’m sorry to say this but you’ll be rejected by all dental school unless your predicted 3As. So my main advice would be to do your best in AS to ensure you are predicted three A’s. Your GCSEs would be fine for Bristol, Liverpool, plymouth, Manchester, Sheffield but it will inevitably be determined by your ukcat score next year.
I got
Eng lit 8 (A*)
Eng Lang 6 (B)
Maths 7 (A)
Bio 6
Chem 6
Physics 6
Geography 6
History 7
RS 7
ICT A*
German 7

You may have to resit English language if you would want to apply to cardiff!
Original post by bigmanjj
You may have to resit English language if you would want to apply to cardiff!

Yeah I’m in year 12 but the system doesn’t do AS anymore, you just have an end of year internal exam which is also combined with all of the end of unit tests you do within the year. Judging by how my end of unit exams have gone so far I think I’ll be getting ABB. Do you reckon I’ll be considered if I apply to a 5 year course?
Yeah I’m in year 12 but the system doesn’t do AS anymore, you just have an end of year internal exam which is also combined with all of the end of unit tests you do within the year. Judging by how my end of unit exams have gone so far I think I’ll be getting ABB. Do you reckon I’ll be considered if I apply to a 5 year course?

No unfortunately you’ll be rejected straight away due to the sheer number of people applying with predictions of AAA-A*A*A* or even 4/5A*s

Quick Reply

Latest