The Student Room Group

Changing Degree - STEM exception course funding

Hello, I'm 23, and used to study Civil engineering on/off for about 4 years (had to take a few years out due to surgeries) but realised that I didn't like it and decided to switch Sep 17', and was trying to decide between 3 courses: Finance, Biomed/Biochem/Biological sciences or Physiotherapy.

My true interests are in the STEM/Bio based subjects but I was thinking in terms of salary and went for Finance, and realised early on how little interest I had in the subject. I was told I'd have funding for the 1st & 3rd year of the degree due to previous extenuating circumstances, and managed to get a first in that 1st year, but will have to self fund this (second) year of my course. Now this is frustrating because A) I'll have to self fund a year of a course I don't love (very very expensive and will be tough to do), and B) I just found out within the past few days that the courses that I originally wanted to do can actually get full funding because they are STEM exceptions for those who want to study for a second degree.

As I understand it you can get full time tuition & maintenance funding for healthcare based courses (Nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, radiography etc) regardless of previous study, or Part-time tuition & maintenance funding for STEM subjects like Biology, maths, engineering, computer science etc, regardless of previous study. Is this correct? Does this previous study include people who studied at degree level but never actually graduated?

Can someone please clear this up for me, as it is something I'm seriously considering: If I were to withdraw from my current course now and apply to study Physiotherapy Full time next September, or Biochem/Biomed Part time, would I get full funding for the duration of the course? Even though I never finished a degree, and technically have only 1 year of tuition fee funding left out of my 4 years? I'm not sure if the exception rule applies to those who never graduated as well as those who are going for a second degree after graduating with a first one.

Many thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by S-Persepolis
Hello, I'm 23, and used to study Civil engineering on/off for about 4 years (had to take a few years out due to surgeries) but realised that I didn't like it and decided to switch Sep 17', and was trying to decide between 3 courses: Finance, Biomed/Biochem/Biological sciences or Physiotherapy.

My true interests are in the STEM/Bio based subjects but I was thinking in terms of salary and went for Finance, and realised early on how little interest I had in the subject. I was told I'd have funding for the 1st & 3rd year of the degree due to previous extenuating circumstances, and managed to get a first in that 1st year, but will have to self fund this (second) year of my course. Now this is frustrating because A) I'll have to self fund a year of a course I don't love (very very expensive and will be tough to do), and B) I just found out within the past few days that the courses that I originally wanted to do can actually get full funding because they are STEM exceptions for those who want to study for a second degree.

As I understand it you can get full time tuition & maintenance funding for healthcare based courses (Nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, radiography etc) regardless of previous study, or Part-time tuition & maintenance funding for STEM subjects like Biology, maths, engineering, computer science etc, regardless of previous study. Is this correct? Does this previous study include people who studied at degree level but never actually graduated?

Can someone please clear this up for me, as it is something I'm seriously considering: If I were to withdraw from my current course now and apply to study Physiotherapy Full time next September, or Biochem/Biomed Part time, would I get full funding for the duration of the course? Even though I never finished a degree, and technically have only 1 year of tuition fee funding left out of my 4 years? I'm not sure if the exception rule applies to those who never graduated as well as those who are going for a second degree after graduating with a first one.

Many thanks.

Hi there,

Physiotherapy is an exception course, so you'll be fully funded regardless of your previous study. As for Biochemistry, that depends: can you confirm the name of the course and the university and we'll check this?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Original post by SFE Graeme
Hi there,

Physiotherapy is an exception course, so you'll be fully funded regardless of your previous study. As for Biochemistry, that depends: can you confirm the name of the course and the university and we'll check this?

Warm regards,
Graeme

Hi thank you!

I've had a look at a few, but the ones offered by birkbeck appeal to me since they have the option for 4 years - Biomedicine/Biochemistry BSc, 4 Year part-time was one of the main ones I looked into
Original post by S-Persepolis
Hi thank you!

I've had a look at a few, but the ones offered by birkbeck appeal to me since they have the option for 4 years - Biomedicine/Biochemistry BSc, 4 Year part-time was one of the main ones I looked into

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not an exception course. Here is a list of our exception courses:

- Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy