The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2019 Interviews discussion

Discussion for generic interview tips and questions. For specific medical schools, go to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=537

Do not discuss specific questions, tests, or any other details regarding interviews or MMIs. (1) It is against TSR rules and most likely the med schools' rules, and (2) it is in your advantage not to share, because you will be giving your "competitors" an advantage.

I have just been asked to interview again this year. Please quote me if you wanted any advice. I will periodically pop in to give helpful tips and general feedback as the interview cycle goes on.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How much background reading should we do when preparing for interviews? So, for example, should we have a good general idea of all the current events happening in the healthcare field or would you expect people to know specific events in a lot of detail? Thanks :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tomhoney380
How much background reading should we do when preparing for interviews? So, for example, should we have a good general idea of all the current events happening in the healthcare field or would you expect people to know specific events in a lot of detail? Thanks :smile:

As a basic we expect all candidates to be aware of what is going on recently and also in the background. It's nothing specific that we expect, just read the health section of reputation news agencies like the BBC and you should be up to date.

Anyone had any interview info. for Medicine courses yet?
Reply 4
No one will have as UKCAT results are received by the uni around first 1-2 weeks of November and BMAT is yet to be sat. Bmat results are passed onto unis around 23rd November I believe.
I failed to get in after getting 3 interviews last year. I asked for feedback and got none. This year my ukcat is 3020 and a band 1. i have an achieved 2.1 in Genetics from Glasgow, and a predicted distinction in masters in Biotech and Management also from Glasgow. I have applied for KCL, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Newcastle, in order of preference.

What do I need to do in order to get through interviews?!? sorry to be coc.ky, but with my ukcat i will be more surprised if i dont get at least 3 interviews this year too. so, what i need to do, is to make sure i can sell myself at the interviews.
Does anyone have any books they would recommend to best prepare myself for medicine interviews, most my unis run traditional interviews.
Original post by theMSAG
Hi @1234554321k,

We have contacted all the medical schools in the UK and compiled a list of all the interview offer dates here: https://themsag.com/blogs/get-into-medical-school-blog/when-do-medical-schools-send-interview-invites.

Hope you'll find this useful and good luck with your application!

Hello

I am sorry to contradict you, but I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions at Sheffield and the information you have presented for us is incorrect. We have not pre-contacted people to see when they would like to be interviewed. We do not do this. We can see from the UCAS application where applicants have indicated periods where they are not available. The timeline of our admissions process is on our admissions webpages and we are on schedule. Accordingly we are still working through the applications to see who meets our academic requirements. We have not yet received data from UKCAT (and would not expect to have).

We have emailed applicants to acknowledge receipt of the applications and that email sets out when they can expect to hear from us. I am expecting that our interview invites will go out 12-16th November.

I hope this information helps clarify.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions
Reply 8
Original post by retttiarius
Does anyone have any books they would recommend to best prepare myself for medicine interviews, most my unis run traditional interviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Interviews-Questions-Analysed-Multiple-Mini-Interviews/dp/1905812051/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540843989&sr=8-2&keywords=medical+interviews

This is generally considered the Gold Standard
Has anyone heard back from their unis that they applied to medicine??
is it too early?
when should we start hearing back?
Reply 10
Original post by mynameisno123
Has anyone heard back from their unis that they applied to medicine??
is it too early?
when should we start hearing back?

The unis do not even receive your UKCAT scores until next week, it is still too early.
Earliest interview offers usually come out mid-November
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi,
I have applied to medicine and my 5th option is clinical skills at Bradford. This is a safety option; I'd hope to transfer onto medicine. What will the interview be like, should I prepare for it like a medicine interview? And when they ask me why I chose the course do I say because I want to transfer to medicine?
Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by ShefMedAdmission
Hello

I am sorry to contradict you, but I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions at Sheffield and the information you have presented for us is incorrect. We have not pre-contacted people to see when they would like to be interviewed. We do not do this. We can see from the UCAS application where applicants have indicated periods where they are not available. The timeline of our admissions process is on our admissions webpages and we are on schedule. Accordingly we are still working through the applications to see who meets our academic requirements. We have not yet received data from UKCAT (and would not expect to have).

We have emailed applicants to acknowledge receipt of the applications and that email sets out when they can expect to hear from us. I am expecting that our interview invites will go out 12-16th November.

I hope this information helps clarify.

Best wishes

Julian

@ShefMedAdmission - Dear Director of Undergraduate Medical Education at Sheffield,

Many thanks for your clarification. All dates written in the blog post https://themsag.com/blogs/get-into-medical-school-blog/when-do-medical-schools-send-interview-invites were obtained by calling the admissions office of each medical school directly. One of my colleague had spoken with a member of Sheffied admissions team and from that conversion, there must have been a misunderstanding. When the call was made was also documented in the blog post.

I am very appreciative of the clarification and apologize for any misinformation that was present. The blog post has on the right column the clear source of each information in order to help be as precise as possible in the research. I have updated the information on sheffield right away, using the information you just provided of course.

Best wishes and good luck in this year's admissions process.
Dr Dibah Jiva
Founder and CEO of theMSAG
Original post by theMSAG
@ShefMedAdmission - Dear Director of Undergraduate Medical Education at Sheffield,

Many thanks for your clarification. All dates written in the blog post https://themsag.com/blogs/get-into-medical-school-blog/when-do-medical-schools-send-interview-invites were obtained by calling the admissions office of each medical school directly. One of my colleague had spoken with a member of Sheffied admissions team and from that conversion, there must have been a misunderstanding. When the call was made was also documented in the blog post.

I am very appreciative of the clarification and apologize for any misinformation that was present. The blog post has on the right column the clear source of each information in order to help be as precise as possible in the research. I have updated the information on sheffield right away, using the information you just provided of course.

Best wishes and good luck in this year's admissions process.
Dr Dibah Jiva
Founder and CEO of theMSAG

Thank you, Dibah

We emailed all of our applicants on receipt of their applications, and that email told them when we would be contacting people about interviews. We are still on schedule (expect to remain so!). We also have a timeline for our admissions selection process on our webpages. Transparency is our watch-word.

Best wishes

Julian
Hello all

When we come to invite people to our interviews we will direct them back to the relevant pages on our website, which has advice on what we are looking for.

But posts above raise an interesting question re how do you prepare. My tuppence-worth (bearing in mind that other medical schools might be looking for something else) is: Be yourself. I think this is really important! BE YOURSELF. Tell your interviewers WHAT YOU THINK. We interview because we want a better understanding of who you are as a person. We are not looking for clones of ourselves, you are allowed to have your own opinions and your opinion does not have to match ours - but be able to justify your opinion. Rehearsed answers are obvious to interviewers, boring and make you look wooden and they are not what we are looking for. Be prepared but not rehearsed. Try to remember that an interview is a conversation. It is not an exam. Know something about where you have applied to. We ask (this is no secret). I have lost count of the number of applicants who have come to Sheffield and told me about another city. Make sure you know where you are! (Telling me about another city does not impress, and just makes me wonder about how you will get home!)

We do not recommend courses. We don't object to them, but have no evidence they are of benefit. If they make you feel more confident, fair enough. (Not everyone gets support from school)

BE YOURSELF! (I think it is really important)

Best wishes

Julian
Sheffield
Original post by ShefMedAdmission
Hello all

When we come to invite people to our interviews we will direct them back to the relevant pages on our website, which has advice on what we are looking for.

But posts above raise an interesting question re how do you prepare. My tuppence-worth (bearing in mind that other medical schools might be looking for something else) is: Be yourself. I think this is really important! BE YOURSELF. Tell your interviewers WHAT YOU THINK. We interview because we want a better understanding of who you are as a person. We are not looking for clones of ourselves, you are allowed to have your own opinions and your opinion does not have to match ours - but be able to justify your opinion. Rehearsed answers are obvious to interviewers, boring and make you look wooden and they are not what we are looking for. Be prepared but not rehearsed. Try to remember that an interview is a conversation. It is not an exam. Know something about where you have applied to. We ask (this is no secret). I have lost count of the number of applicants who have come to Sheffield and told me about another city. Make sure you know where you are! (Telling me about another city does not impress, and just makes me wonder about how you will get home!)

We do not recommend courses. We don't object to them, but have no evidence they are of benefit. If they make you feel more confident, fair enough. (Not everyone gets support from school)

BE YOURSELF! (I think it is really important)

Best wishes

Julian
Sheffield

Hi Sir thank you for the advice, I was wondering if some of the questions you plan to ask at the interview would be made available? or if there was somewhere where I would be able to find some practice questions?
Thank you very much
ShefMedAdmission
(Original post by ShefMedAdmission)

As someone who sits on the panel for Imperial, I completely agree with this. It is very obvious when someone comes in rehearsed or is unenthusiasic, and it really does bore me to the point that I sometimes (unintentinally) just stop listening and start daydreaming!

Just to add to it (I'm talking about Imperial here, I don't know how much emphasis other Med Schools place on it) - make sure you know your Personal Statements, we will ask about it. Again, it's rather obvious if something written there isn't true. I'd also strongly recommend having a look through the GMC scenarios online: https://www.gmc-uk.org/gmpinaction/
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
As someone who sits on the panel for Imperial, I completely agree with this. It is very obvious when someone comes in rehearsed or is unenthusiasic, and it really does bore me to the point that I sometimes (unintentinally) just stop listening and start daydreaming!

Just to add to it (I'm talking about Imperial here, I don't know how much emphasis other Med Schools place on it) - make sure you know your Personal Statements, we will ask about it. Again, it's rather obvious if something written there isn't true. I'd also strongly recommend having a look through the GMC scenarios online: https://www.gmc-uk.org/gmpinaction/

:yes: Make sure you know which med school makes the PS available to the interviews, and which ones don't.

I interviewed at several places - where I studied, and a few places where I worked. All of the Unis I interviewed in do not make the PS available to us, so we didn't quiz the applicants on it. But if you are invited to somewhere which it is (like ICL as usycool said) then you must know it inside out!

And yes, don't rehearse.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing well 😊

If you have any queries, we are more than happy to hold a free skype sessions to discuss any concerns that you may have.

We are three medical students who have a passion for medical education. We have been in your shoes in the past and we realise how much a service like this can value a student.

Kind Regards
The earliest we can hear is this month right?

Latest

Trending

Trending