The Student Room Group

The Dissertation Thread 2018-2019

Scroll to see replies

Hi all :smile: I'm an undergrad media student feeling quite behind. I have a topic but not a title/thesis yet. So far, I've taken out a bunch of books from the library and I'm just reading through them, making notes and a backlog of references. Does anyone have any tips or methods, how are you all conducting secondary research?
is anyone here doing accountancy, because i’m really struggling
Original post by thefish1
is anyone here doing accountancy, because i’m really struggling

I may ban you from this thread, because if you see the post above - this is exactly what you should be doing. Going to the library and doing research. I am getting sick of seeing your name asking for ideas because you're too lazy to do your own research. You pay 9K a year and can't even be bothered to use any resources at your disposal? Go to the library, talk to other course mates, go and speak to lecturers. But apparently that's too much for you so instead, you're waiting on here for someone to provide you with an easy answer. This isn't the GCSE forum anymore. RESEARCH!

Original post by casmi
Hi all :smile: I'm an undergrad media student feeling quite behind. I have a topic but not a title/thesis yet. So far, I've taken out a bunch of books from the library and I'm just reading through them, making notes and a backlog of references. Does anyone have any tips or methods, how are you all conducting secondary research?

Don't feel like you have to rush. Research and mapping out what you want to do is the first and arguably the essential part of your dissertation. It takes times and thoughtful consideration. I'm assuming, you're doing a traditional essay, rather than a practical project? Does your uni not offer any sort of research methods module?

Although I never studied Media at UG, I am doing a joint at PG level so I might be able to help you out if you could specify what your topic is or what sort of research you're thinking of doing? :smile:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Don't feel like you have to rush. Research and mapping out what you want to do is the first and arguably the essential part of your dissertation. It takes times and thoughtful consideration. I'm assuming, you're doing a traditional essay, rather than a practical project? Does your uni not offer any sort of research methods module?

Although I never studied Media at UG, I am doing a joint at PG level so I might be able to help you out if you could specify what your topic is or what sort of research you're thinking of doing? :smile:

wtf you don’t need to be so rude i’m asking genuine advice, if you can’t answer then don’t bloody reply back to me. I don’t know who you think you are about banning me
wtf you don’t need to be so rude i’m asking genuine advice, if you can’t answer then don’t bloody reply back to me. I don’t know who you think you are about banning me

You're not asking for help. You're asking for someone to do what you are capable of doing and that is research. I think I've replied back to your "asking for help" once or twice now and still it seems you haven't taken the initiative yourself.

You haven't said what you're interested in researching, you haven't said what you need help with. So how do you expect someone to help you, if you can't be bothered to help yourself?
You're not asking for help. You're asking for someone to do what you are capable of doing and that is research. I think I've replied back to your "asking for help" once or twice now and still it seems you haven't taken the initiative yourself.

You haven't said what you're interested in researching, you haven't said what you need help with. So how do you expect someone to help you, if you can't be bothered to help yourself?

well seeing as you want to know what i’m doing research on, it’s called management accounting. ANY HELP IS WELCOME! i’m sorry not everyone is a genius like you, someone of us have struggled to come this far

We have had a few lectures on 'independent study' but they haven't been about conducting research, more about formatting and hand-in etc... I think I just need to work up the courage to be more open with my supervisor and admit that I am struggling a bit. My social circle of coursemates is honestly quite small so I wish I had more opportunity to discuss dissertation progress and methods with other students, which is what brought me here really :smile:

The topic I'm reading up on is the genre of social realism in cinema. My initial idea was to question why the level of realism in British drama (for example, the work of Ken Loach or Andrea Arnold) is rarely paralleled in their American counterparts. So, I suppose it's leaning towards a comparative filmic analysis piece between a prime example of each? Thank you for replying, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
(edited 5 years ago)
well seeing as you want to know what i’m doing research on, it’s called management accounting. ANY HELP IS WELCOME! i’m sorry not everyone is a genius like you, someone of us have struggled to come this far

I'm not a genius and you should use that struggle for motivation!

Is your dissertation theory based or can you do it based on practical (company research) or is it a case study? Need a little bit more info if you want some help. Have you also asked in the Business Subject forum?

What elements are you struggling with? What I would perhaps suggest you do is read some accounting management academic journals, find out any current topics or issues associated with it and perhaps start mapping out ideas or questions to investigate. I can't help you more than that. But please make use of your library and lecturers! Lecturers are there to help remember, don't be afraid to ask for help.
Any advice for how to do the literature review section? I'm struggling with organizing the actually reading then writing elements and what I'm getting as a result feels messy.

My original plan was to keep a book and every time I read a journal or book I would write its title, a summary of it and some key quotes with the idea that I would do all my research, then move onto the writing. I was also hoping that by physically writing the info down I would remember it better. Quickly found this was taking a lot of time and maybe wasn't the best approach, also I was drawing links from one part to another and realized this will be awkward to do when I will have to flick through the book searching for the page I need in order to draw links between different sources.

New plan was to layout the main headings in my lit review, try to plan out the "story" I want to tell and when I found information to sort it under the heading. Ended up just copying and pasting loads then taking each heading on its own, selecting the relevant parts and making my key points/arguments and writing it up from this summary. So far its working better, but I still just feel like its a bit disjointed or the process could be better. I'm also worried about plagiarizing with this method due to the copying and pasting going on in the early stages. I'm worried that by skipping the physical writing stage that I may be using other peoples words far too much. I am taking care to reference everything and its probably just a touch of paranoia as I've never had issues brought up with previous essays but its still a minor concern I'm having with this method.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to organise and write the lit review? Do people tend to break research and writing into 2 separate processes? Any advice for balancing the two and getting the most out of your research? Is my concern about using other peoples words too exactly justified or as long as everything is referenced is it ok?

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Can anyone recommend someone who can do my dissertation for me?someone realiable ,im struggling a lot
I’m doing my research in criminology but there arent any academic books about the question i wanna do except for one and that costs £20 and its still not specifically what i wanna do which is link b/ween gang violence and drill music theres only new articles, how do i approach this? Jusr use news articles as bibliography or?
Original post by Lala2000100000
Can anyone recommend someone who can do my dissertation for me?someone realiable ,im struggling a lot

I would not advise this. Universities can detect this and you could end up failing your whole degree. Do you have a supervisor that you could go to if you are stuck?
Master student here, trying to write a coherent thesis on the Japanese translation and reception of Henrik Ibsen's play A Doll's House/Nora. I'm focusing on the translator, Shimamura Hogetsu, who thought Nora was awesome and a good example of what he considered to be a New Woman, while a (supposedly) feminist, Hiratsuka Raicho, found her absolutely repulsive and a horribel New Woman. It all came down do their respective ideology, considering a woman an individual human who should have equal rights and treatment as men, or a woman whose significance mostly depended on her ability to bear children and sustain the nation. Raicho actually kind of pisses me off, lol.

I'm really struggling with finding a focus and theoretical framework. I'm just so lost in the whole process and on what I should end up with :frown:
I'm getting really nervous now. My dissertation is due in next week. It's written and I'm just re-reading it again, making proofreading adjustments. :eek:
Original post by Vennccc
I’m doing my research in criminology but there arent any academic books about the question i wanna do except for one and that costs £20 and its still not specifically what i wanna do which is link b/ween gang violence and drill music theres only new articles, how do i approach this? Jusr use news articles as bibliography or?

Can you not do a different topic? If there's not enough research and your're doing an UG diss, then you're going to struggle.

I would recommend expanding your scope; i.e doing different genres of music or doing a different topic.

You can use news articles as sources, but how credible are there? And how would the articles impact your results/findings/analysis?
Original post by pipestream
Master student here, trying to write a coherent thesis on the Japanese translation and reception of Henrik Ibsen's play A Doll's House/Nora. I'm focusing on the translator, Shimamura Hogetsu, who thought Nora was awesome and a good example of what he considered to be a New Woman, while a (supposedly) feminist, Hiratsuka Raicho, found her absolutely repulsive and a horribel New Woman. It all came down do their respective ideology, considering a woman an individual human who should have equal rights and treatment as men, or a woman whose significance mostly depended on her ability to bear children and sustain the nation. Raicho actually kind of pisses me off, lol.

I'm really struggling with finding a focus and theoretical framework. I'm just so lost in the whole process and on what I should end up with :frown:

I read that during my very first year at uni. Such a great play!

How are you getting on now? Sounds like a very interesting approach to the play!

Original post by Muserock
I'm getting really nervous now. My dissertation is due in next week. It's written and I'm just re-reading it again, making proofreading adjustments. :eek:

Well done for almost finishing! Take your time and keep rereading it until you know it off by heart! :wink:
Original post by ATinyRevolt
Found out who my supervisor is today and had a brief email conversation - turns out my idea has potential, which is a good start! It's all beginning to feel very real, though the impression I get is that the department isn't rushing us; this term is mainly about the literature review, with the research itself not being a focus until spring term.

How's everyone else progressing?

hey, well my proposal is due this week thankfully I have the best supervisor but thinking starting the actually disso this week
Reply 57
So my Dissertation is due in around May / Early June, I have a topic and a question and I have a list of sources and I know what I want to write about, but I'm just wondering how long people would suggest I take to research then write? The issue is I have like 3 other essays due in January so my time at the minute is really consumed with those so I am lucky if I have time to do any dissertation reading until then.
Original post by Riley95
So my Dissertation is due in around May / Early June, I have a topic and a question and I have a list of sources and I know what I want to write about, but I'm just wondering how long people would suggest I take to research then write? The issue is I have like 3 other essays due in January so my time at the minute is really consumed with those so I am lucky if I have time to do any dissertation reading until then.

Ideally, you should still try and do a little bit of research here and there.

I think only you will know when you think you've got enough for your diss. I was still researching right up until the very last week. But that was because, like you, when I had other assignments due, I just threw my diss research to the back of the line. I wouldn't recommend this.

If your dissertation is worth the same % of your other modules, then you should split your time equally. If your diss is worth more, then you should try and plan your time accordingly. Get some of your research done now so that way, you can leave it until January and focus on your other assignments. After those assignments are done, you can pick up where you last left your diss research, without the "I'm so behind" panic attack that would ensue.

Depending on your subject; mine was Literature. So I'd spend 1/2 weeks reading one novel, then around 2-3 weeks researching that novel. I did three. So I spent about 3 months reading and researching and then about 3 months writing.

Manage your time well!
Submitted my dissertation. I can finally get my life back :biggrin:

Just have to wait until January for my results but in the mean time, I am going to relax.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending