The Student Room Group

Failed half my LPC modules for a second time, is there any hope?

I have secured a 2.1 in law at uni and do not have a training contract. However I have failed 5 of the LPC modules for the second time and have 4 other retakes for the second time. I have always struggled at exams since I was a young person and though I may understand content thoroughly, I don't do too well.
I have so much enthusiasm to become a solicitor. However I do not know whether there is any point now because these failures will be on my record for life and I do not think I can fulfil my goal anymore.
I do not know whether I should go out get some work experience for a year or two at a firm and then come back refreshed to re-study and doing the course again (as I certainly do not think I was actually ready for it) or should I just stick this out and attempt not to fail knowing that this time it is likely. Or should I just give up on the legal industry and look at other industries to go into as this is the most 'basic' part of becoming a solicitor and I am failing?

Thanks
Reply 1
What exactly have you failed and how badly?
Reply 2
Original post by BFG9000
What exactly have you failed and how badly?

Litigation and Professional Conduct narrowly by 1-2%.
I have failed Business Law and Practice, Property Law, Advanced Commercial Lit, Private Acquisitions, Advanced Property Law and Solicitors Accounts each by between 8-20% so real bad.
Reply 3
Original post by MKADR575
Litigation and Professional Conduct narrowly by 1-2%.
I have failed Business Law and Practice, Property Law, Advanced Commercial Lit, Private Acquisitions, Advanced Property Law and Solicitors Accounts each by between 8-20% so real bad.

Not good, how did you get 2.1? Are you just slacking or do you think that law might be too much?
Reply 4
Original post by BFG9000
Not good, how did you get 2.1? Are you just slacking or do you think that law might be too much?

It wasn't about slacking or the law being too much for me at all. I understood all the material, I went to all my classes and my tutors were really surprised by my results as they stated I applied myself very well in classes. I know it is my fault that I haven't done well in my exams but I really can't point to the reason why and that is probably why I am struggling in deciding what I need to do going forward.
Reply 5
It wasn't about slacking or the law being too much for me at all. I understood all the material, I went to all my classes and my tutors were really surprised by my results as they stated I applied myself very well in classes. I know it is my fault that I haven't done well in my exams but I really can't point to the reason why and that is probably why I am struggling in deciding what I need to do going forward.

How about feedback? Sometimes you just have to boost up the volume. I was told several times that my replies, papers, etc tend to be accurate, on topic but too brief.
I have secured a 2.1 in law at uni and do not have a training contract. However I have failed 5 of the LPC modules for the second time and have 4 other retakes for the second time. I have always struggled at exams since I was a young person and though I may understand content thoroughly, I don't do too well.
I have so much enthusiasm to become a solicitor. However I do not know whether there is any point now because these failures will be on my record for life and I do not think I can fulfil my goal anymore.
I do not know whether I should go out get some work experience for a year or two at a firm and then come back refreshed to re-study and doing the course again (as I certainly do not think I was actually ready for it) or should I just stick this out and attempt not to fail knowing that this time it is likely. Or should I just give up on the legal industry and look at other industries to go into as this is the most 'basic' part of becoming a solicitor and I am failing?

Thanks

Are you on some sort of combined degree LPC course or funding yourself for the LPC?
Was a significant part of your degree coursework?

Its a big mystery as by the time you have graduated you should have sufficient knowledge about your learning potential and performance in exams or otherwise. You should have sat enough of them by then. Nine double fails is not going to inspire confidence with most employers and the legal market is pretty competitive.

Have you asked how many times you are allowed to fail?
Have you checked what happens if you pull put and whether you can retry? You are really in a scenario that shouldnt exist.
Do you believe you can get a job in a legal firm with just your degree?

Wait to see what JSP says about your prospects. If I were in that situation I would check how many times I can resit and any funding issues.
I would find out what went wrong and be honest if I could fix it in time. You sound a bit punch drunk.
If there was an opportunity to resit and you dont think you stand a chance, then a break would be in order. Speak to your lecturers.
I would never say never, but without some positives [ experience and contacts] to your CV then youve fallen a long way behind other applicants.
If its really what you want to do then I wouldnt give up the long term aim, but know its going to be a long hard journey. Choice is yours and sorry to sound so grim, but its a difficult position to be in. I'm a but mystified how you can fall so shorty and not realise it.
Reply 7

It's definitely time to re-examine your options. I think a break sounds like a good idea at the moment. There's no point in continuing to sit and fail these exams until you have identified the reasons why you keep failing, especially if you claim to understand the material. Is it an anxiety thing? Why didn't it affect you during uni exams?

There used to be a time-limit on completing the LPC within 5 years, so its worth bearing that in mind when considering a break. I don't know if this still exists, but perhaps someone who has been through the LPC more recently, or the SRA, would know better.

Regarding training contracts, a recruiter might be the best person to provide advice on this. I don't think it looks promising, but to be honest, i don't really know of any cases concerning people who passed on their third try. Someone who deals with a lot of different firms might provide a better perspective.
(edited 5 years ago)
I wouldn't worry about failing. I completed the LPC and got a good mark and I am depressed maybe the universe is trying to tell you to do something more with your life than the boring LPC
Everyday is an opportunity to try again. get some rest for a few months or a year and get into it again. You can only stop trying when you breathe your last. Don't quit if you really want it, just go get!! Meanwhile find some legal positions like tribunal assistant, investigation assistant, etc or apply at the bank. Get into some good job with your 2:1 you might even like the non-legal posts. The only think NOT TO DO is sit home and cry. Cry once, dry the tears and grab opportunities worth your 2:1.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending