The Student Room Group

Edexcel Religious Studies A-level - 2018/19

Edexcel A-level
Religious Studies
2018/19

I thought I'd make a thread for all of us who are studying A-level RS through the next academic year as I cannot find any other thread.
This is a (hopefully!) useful place for us all to share any helpful resources we may have, as well as to ask any questions, etc.
Good luck to all of you for the next academic year!

Breakdown of Exam

Altogether, there is a choice of 4 papers - we will only be doing 3 of these and they will already be chosen by our sixth form/college.
Paper 1: Philosophy of Religion
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
Philosophical issues. Nature and influence of religious experience. Problems of evil and suffering. Philosophical language. Works of scholars. Influences of developments.
Paper 2: Religion & Ethics
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
Significant concepts in issues and debates. Study of three ethical theories. Application of ethical theories. Ethical language. Deontology, Virtue Ethics and the works of scholars. Medical ethics.
Paper 3: New Testament Studies
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
Contexts of the New Testament. Texts and interpretation of the Person of Jesus. Interpreting the text and the purpose and authorship. Ways of interpreting the scripture. Texts and interpretation. Scientific and historical-critical challenges.
Paper 4: Study of Religion
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
4A:Buddhism 4B:Christianity 4C Hinduism 4D:Islam 4E:Judaism 4F Sikhism
Religious beliefs, values and teachings. Sources of wisdom and authority. Practices that shape and express religious identity. Social and historical developments. Works of scholars. Religion and society.

Assessment Overview

An externally-assessed written examination comprising three sections. Students answer all questions in Section A and Section B, and one question in Section C.
Section A: Two structured questions.
Section B: Two extended-response questions on an excerpt, sourced from the extracts list. These are published in the relevant pages of the A Level Religious Studies Anthology which can be downloaded from the Pearson qualifications website.
Section C: One extended essay question.

Exam Dates

Tuesday 4th June (Morning) - Religious Studies Paper 1: Philosophy of Religion
Tuesday 11th June (Morning) - Religious Studies Paper 2: Religion and Ethics
Monday 17th June (Afternoon) - Religious Studies Paper 3: New Testament Studies
Wednesday 19th June (Morning) - Religious Studies Paper 4: Study of Religion
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emmy_Girl

Edexcel A-level
Religious Studies
2018/19

I thought I'd make a thread for all of us who are studying A-level RS through the next academic year as I cannot find any other thread.
This is a (hopefully!) useful place for us all to share any helpful resources we may have, as well as to ask any questions, etc.

Breakdown of Exam

Altogether, there is a choice of 4 papers - we will only be doing 3 of these and they will already be chosen by our sixth form/college.
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
Philosophical issues. Nature and influence of religious experience. Problems of evil and suffering. Philosophical language. Works of scholars. Influences of developments.
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
Significant concepts in issues and debates. Study of three ethical theories. Application of ethical theories. Ethical language. Deontology, Virtue Ethics and the works of scholars. Medical ethics.
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
Contexts of the New Testament. Texts and interpretation of the Person of Jesus. Interpreting the text and the purpose and authorship. Ways of interpreting the scripture. Texts and interpretation. Scientific and historical-critical challenges.
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
Religious beliefs, values and teachings. Sources of wisdom and authority. Practices that shape and express religious identity. Social and historical developments. Works of scholars. Religion and society.

Assessment Overview

An externally-assessed written examination comprising three sections. Students answer all questions in Section A and Section B, and one question in Section C.
Section B: Two extended-response questions on an excerpt, sourced from the extracts list. These are published in the relevant pages of the A Level Religious Studies Anthology which can be downloaded from the Pearson qualifications website.

Exam Dates

Too early for this but be prepared!

This looks incredible!

I'm sure this thread will get populated once the school year starts. How are you feeling about the subject so far? What other subjects are you studying?
re u guys in year 12 or 13
Reply 3
Original post by harry brennan
re u guys in year 12 or 13

This is aimed at students in year 13 who have their exams in May/June 2019, but year 12 students are more than welcome to join in!
hey everyone

Edexcel A-level
Religious Studies
2018/19

Breakdown of Exam

33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs
33.33%, 80 marks, 2hrs

Assessment Overview

Exam Dates

Tuesday 4th June (Morning) - Religious Studies Paper 1: Philosophy of Religion
Tuesday 11th June (Morning) - Religious Studies Paper 2: Religion and Ethics
Monday 17th June (Afternoon) - Religious Studies Paper 3: New Testament Studies
Wednesday 19th June (Morning) - Religious Studies Paper 4: Study of Religion

i have done as religous studies and i am now studying A2
how r u all finding it?
Reply 5
Original post by hobashir
i have done as religous studies and i am now studying A2
how r u all finding it?

I'm on my second year of the A-level course and whilst I find it really interesting there is a lot of content. We've studied 4 topics so far this year and I've found it kind of hard to keep up with some of the things but my teacher is really supportive.
I'm currently on my half term break this week with a mock the second week we come back!

How are you finding it and what religion are you studying?
I'm on my second year of the A-level course and whilst I find it really interesting there is a lot of content. We've studied 4 topics so far this year and I've found it kind of hard to keep up with some of the things but my teacher is really supportive.
I'm currently on my half term break this week with a mock the second week we come back!

How are you finding it and what religion are you studying?

I'm finding it OK. i agree there is a lot of content this year , the anthology makes it harder and there is no resources. my teacher gave me a zig zag pack for philosophy and ethics which contain model exam answers and summary of anthology texts. I am studying Islam

what topics have you done so far in A2 ? AND did you sit an as exam?
Reply 7
I'm finding it OK. i agree there is a lot of content this year , the anthology makes it harder and there is no resources. my teacher gave me a zig zag pack for philosophy and ethics which contain model exam answers and summary of anthology texts. I am studying Islam

what topics have you done so far in A2 ? AND did you sit an as exam?

I am also studying Islam. My college has stopped doing the whole AS thing so instead we have all our exams at the end of the two years. The anthologies can be quite complicated, particularly the Problem of Evil one. I have used the zig zag resources for english they were helfpul, I didn't know they had them for RS as well.

So far this year, we have studied Sunni & Shia, Caliphs, Equality and Life after Death.
I am also studying Islam. My college has stopped doing the whole AS thing so instead we have all our exams at the end of the two years. The anthologies can be quite complicated, particularly the Problem of Evil one. I have used the zig zag resources for english they were helfpul, I didn't know they had them for RS as well.

So far this year, we have studied Sunni & Shia, Caliphs, Equality and Life after Death.

the zig zag resources are very helpful. Ask your teacher for it.
I have two teachers one for philosophy and one for ethics and Islam is shared between them
so far we have done religious language and the anthology and also Russell and copelston anthology which is the most complicated extract.
we are starting Islam after December

if you dont mind Maybe we can share notes with each other Via email
hey guys, im stdying A2 Religious stidies ...the anthology is so hardd to understand...
Reply 10
Original post by ikrshafiq
hey guys, im stdying A2 Religious stidies ...the anthology is so hardd to understand...

The anthologies are quite challenging. Which one are you currently doing?
Reply 11
i dont find the subject interesting at all i find it so hard to revise
Reply 12
Original post by 132kk4
i dont find the subject interesting at all i find it so hard to revise

Sorry to hear this. What do you not enjoy about the subject - any particular topics. Which religion are you studying alongside the ethics and philosophy? As for revising, how are you currently revising for it?
It's good to see that there's a thread for Edexcel RS as it's so hard to find resources for it! I think my notes are alright for Ethics and Philosophy but if anyone has some good Islam resources or notes that would be very helpful :smile:
Reply 14
We should make a WhatsApp group where we can share resources share essay plans talk about our problems and revision stategies etc.
I'm doing philosophy, ethics and new testament studies. Anyone else?
Original post by Julia:D
We should make a WhatsApp group where we can share resources share essay plans talk about our problems and revision stategies etc.
I'm doing philosophy, ethics and new testament studies. Anyone else?

No sorry i dont like the idea. I dont kniw whi you are . We cab share it on emaip but im not giving my numbber

Can you send me your islam notes ?
Reply 17
No sorry i dont like the idea. I dont kniw whi you are . We cab share it on emaip but im not giving my numbber

That's okay. Idm it was just a suggestion someone said on another group
does anyone happen to have the a-level edexcel paper 1 (philosophy) and paper 2 (ethics) questions from 2018?
Original post by quizical01
does anyone happen to have the a-level edexcel paper 1 (philosophy) and paper 2 (ethics) questions from 2018?

I don't have them but I know that the 30 marker for ethics was on sexual ethics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending