The Student Room Group

CGP revision guides for A levels

I'm taking A level biology (edexcel) and Chemistry (OCR) and was wondering if anybody else who takes/has taken these subjects thinks they're worth it? I can get them at a really discounted price at my school so the cost isn't really a problem, but I've heard really mixed reviews about them and am not sure if it will be helpful if I get them or not.
Original post by Jess_ter
I'm taking A level biology (edexcel) and Chemistry (OCR) and was wondering if anybody else who takes/has taken these subjects thinks they're worth it? I can get them at a really discounted price at my school so the cost isn't really a problem, but I've heard really mixed reviews about them and am not sure if it will be helpful if I get them or not.

I'm doing AQA Biology and Chemistry for A-Level and have bought the CGP guides. They're a waste of money as they lack the detail that's needed in A-Level to get top grades.
If you want to do well in biology, do a lot of practice questions, and for chemistry you can learn from the notes on https://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/ :smile:

If they are that discounted then I would buy one or two. If you have access to the range then things like workbooks I think are useful.
For Chemistry then Dr Boes revision notes are always recommended.
Reply 3
Original post by Infinite Series
I'm doing AQA Biology and Chemistry for A-Level and have bought the CGP guides. They're a waste of money as they lack the detail that's needed in A-Level to get top grades.
If you want to do well in biology, do a lot of practice questions, and for chemistry you can learn from the notes on https://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/ :smile:

Thank you for the advice, that's what a few of the reviews were saying & I've bookmarked the link as it looks really helpful (:
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
If they are that discounted then I would buy one or two. If you have access to the range then things like workbooks I think are useful.
For Chemistry then Dr Boes revision notes are always recommended.

Thank you, I will definitely look into those books. Also I do intend on buying workbooks at some point - I did forgot to disclaim that I do have the specification's textbooks for both subjects, so if the CGP revision guides aren't really worth it without the discount then I may just stick to the textbooks and workbooks.
Thank you, I will definitely look into those books. Also I do intend on buying workbooks at some point - I did forgot to disclaim that I do have the specification's textbooks for both subjects, so if the CGP revision guides aren't really worth it without the discount then I may just stick to the textbooks and workbooks.

Whats a really discounted price? can you get sight of someones and then you can make your mind up.
Dr Boes though for Chemistry/

http://www.alevelchemistryrevision.co.uk/revisionnotes-store/
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Whats a really discounted price? can you get sight of someones and then you can make your mind up.
Dr Boes though for Chemistry/

http://www.alevelchemistryrevision.co.uk/revisionnotes

A little more than half price & unfortunately not at the moment because the school's ordering them in bulk :frown: hopefully I can find one in a book shop somewhere to have a look.
A little more than half price & unfortunately not at the moment because the school's ordering them in bulk :frown: hopefully I can find one in a book shop somewhere to have a look.

Surely the staff or other students must have some from last year or ask if they will do second order.
I don’t know why people think CGP are trash for A level.

I do OCR A level Chemistry and I have the CGP revision guide and their workbook for practice. And I guarantee you if a person memorises only the CGP book, do some practice question. There is no way he is getting below an A/A*. In fact I believe the only book you need for OCR a level Chemistry is the CGP guide. Then Practice, Practice!

The downside of OCR CGP book is calculation topics. The book fails to show you the complicated calculations and they just throw the forumla so you don’t understand the calculations. If you really want a book to understand calculations in chemistry. I recommended buying “Calculations in AS/A Level Chemistry” by Jim Clark. Then ask your school teacher for Chemsheets for calculation topics.

Even for a level Biology I would say that if a person memorises the whole cgp book. Then Practice Question! He has a good chance for an A. A* I don’t know because most of OCR Biology is application. This again back so up my idea there is no point wasting time on the books provided by the exam board because they contain so much information while the exam is mainly going to be application. In fact our Biology teacher strongly suggest to revise from CGP book.
Reply 9
Original post by Samosa and Vada
I don’t know why people think CGP are trash for A level.

I do OCR A level Chemistry and I have the CGP revision guide and their workbook for practice. And I guarantee you if a person memorises only the CGP book, do some practice question. There is no way he is getting below an A/A*. In fact I believe the only book you need for OCR a level Chemistry is the CGP guide. Then Practice, Practice!

The downside of OCR CGP book is calculation topics. The book fails to show you the complicated calculations and they just throw the forumla so you don’t understand the calculations. If you really want a book to understand calculations in chemistry. I recommended buying “Calculations in AS/A Level Chemistry” by Jim Clark. Then ask your school teacher for Chemsheets for calculation topics.

Even for a level Biology I would say that if a person memorises the whole cgp book. Then Practice Question! He has a good chance for an A. A* I don’t know because most of OCR Biology is application. This again back so up my idea there is no point wasting time on the books provided by the exam board because they contain so much information while the exam is mainly going to be application. In fact our Biology teacher strongly suggest to revise from CGP book.

Really? Do you ever find that what you're taught in class/what's on the specification is more extensive than what you can find in the revision guides? (aside from the calculations) & thank you for the recommendations
Reply 10
Surely the staff or other students must have some from last year or ask if they will do second order.

that's true, I'll try that (:
Reply 11
I have 2 CGP books for my biology A-level (OCR A): one for year 1, one for year 2. However, it is different to the usual vague CGP books; it is a lot more in depth and covers pretty much the entire course.
Reply 12
Original post by Fhutton17
I have 2 CGP books for my biology A-level (OCR A): one for year 1, one for year 2. However, it is different to the usual vague CGP books; it is a lot more in depth and covers pretty much the entire course.

"pretty much"? :s-smilie: (but thank you for your response)
Reply 13
"pretty much"? :s-smilie: (but thank you for your response)

Haha looking back at it, I don't know why I said: "pretty much". It covers the entire spec; I highly recommend purchasing them or asking your school to complete an order. I have put their Amazon links below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biology-OCR-Student-Online/dp/178294320X/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1540729547&sr=8-2&keywords=cgp+ocr+a+biology+a+level+year+1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biology-OCR-Student-Online/dp/1782943250/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1540729627&sr=8-2&keywords=cgp+ocr+a+biology+a+level+year+2
Reply 14

They're literally all I used apart from past papers in all my a levels (including chem) except maths. got a*aa. 10/10 recommend. Also make loads of notes.

Quick Reply

Latest