The Student Room Group

No motivation, please help!

Hi! Recently, I've been feeling such little motivation to do any work whatsoever.
Background: I'm in Y13 and two weeks ago, I applied to uni.
Here's the thing, I've been lacking in motivation since the beginning of the year, but I feel like I've hit an all time low.
Last week was a kick up the bum bc I sat three tests (two biology, one chem) and I'm pretty sure that I failed them all. Badly. Like barely scraping 10% badly. This is so, so out of character for a girl who usually gets at least 80%. I actually do not know what to do. At all.
Over the weekend, I revised a heck of a lot for the respiration test tomorrow, but lo and behold, I'm back to having no motivation.
Can anyone recommend anything to get me out of this funk that's not 'relax!'? I've done too much relaxing, that's the problem.
Also, any revision tips? I'm running out of new things to try :frown:

Reply 1
Original post by dienvious
Hi! Recently, I've been feeling such little motivation to do any work whatsoever.
Here's the thing, I've been lacking in motivation since the beginning of the year, but I feel like I've hit an all time low.
Last week was a kick up the bum bc I sat three tests (two biology, one chem) and I'm pretty sure that I failed them all. Badly. Like barely scraping 10% badly. This is so, so out of character for a girl who usually gets at least 80%. I actually do not know what to do. At all.
Over the weekend, I revised a heck of a lot for the respiration test tomorrow, but lo and behold, I'm back to having no motivation.
Can anyone recommend anything to get me out of this funk that's not 'relax!'? I've done too much relaxing, that's the problem.

Hi dienvious,

it seems that we are in a similar position to say the least. What I did to bring my motivation back up was laze around and do everything I enjoy - lasted for the past three days doing nothing productive Other than basically looking after myself. its alright to reach this point. all it means is that you have vurnt out and you need to try make meets end. Back to normal revision tomorrow most notably for Biology and doing history coursework. I would love to help but at this point it is dependent on you and how much you want the A* don't forget that you have started this journey and this is merely an obstacle in the way. You can do it woman! Look after yourself take a rest for and make an awesome comeback.
Reply 2

If you are relaxing way too much we need a plan B:
Set yourselves some goals in a form of a to-do-list for. For each goal set a time of completion. Be specific dont say It has be finished by tomorrow - it is better to set a time for example 20:00. When each goal is set prepare your enviroment - I personally do all my work on my bed but when I have little to no motivation I go to a library. Your surrounding is vital whilst working. If you think that is not an issue you may need to change it up to feel motivated. Also, the time of work may impact your learning so experiment with that. When you are sure of the surrounding and suitable time of work, tackle each goal within a deignated time frame, for example, this history essay will be completed within the next 45 minutes, this is 15 minutes biology exam or for the next 20 minutes I will be blurting out my notes.
Reply 3
Original post by 6085
If you are relaxing way too much we need a plan B:
Set yourselves some goals in a form of a to-do-list for. For each goal set a time of completion. Be specific dont say It has be finished by tomorrow - it is better to set a time for example 20:00. When each goal is set prepare your enviroment - I personally do all my work on my bed but when I have little to no motivation I go to a library. Your surrounding is vital whilst working. If you think that is not an issue you may need to change it up to feel motivated. Also, the time of work may impact your learning so experiment with that. When you are sure of the surrounding and suitable time of work, tackle each goal within a deignated time frame, for example, this history essay will be completed within the next 45 minutes, this is 15 minutes biology exam or for the next 20 minutes I will be blurting out my notes.

Thank you so much for the tips! How would you suggest I dicipline myself in order to get this done? I'll have a to-do list, I'll have my time frame, but how can I hold myself accountable? I feel like I'm really nice and easy on myself and that I shouldn't be.
This feels like a burnout, but at the same time, it's been going for a while. I know what I have to do, I just can't seem to execute it and as a result, procrastinate. It's like I need someone checking that I'm doing the work, but when I've asked my teachers, they've said yes but haven't followed through. It's frustrating.
I feel like I'm constantly frustrated at the moment. My moods can tip so fast and I feel so stressed. I know that I'm stressed because I'm not putting enough work in, but I just can't get the motivation to do it, so I'm sat there with my textbooks and booklets on my desk, watching Netflix or Youtube or something right next to them. (I might be oversharing, but I'm quite desperate and need to pull myself together.)
Reply 4

I did chem AS so Ik a bit but my revsion for that was ineffective.

For biology, I stick to my notes which are 70% pictures since I am visual learner as well as mark scheme condensed notes that are colour coded. For example red is a key word, green is an example, brown is a definition and blue is for titles.

My friend uses the blurting so she basically reads her notes then hides them to see how much she recalls by blurting them out.

A similar technique is to scribble everything you remember if you are in a place where you cannot blurt.

Mind maps help at th end of topic - our teacher mind us link all the relevant spec points across 4 topics (for AS) which helped us understand how examiners link topics and come up with questions.

Needless to say exam practise is vital but you can always try to make your own questions as an alternative and if possible switch questions with friends.

Flash cards are also ideal and posters. Both which if utlised can be very effective. Hang/Place them around the house and places where youu tend to hang out, for example on the fridge, the bottom of the stairs or even the door of the toilet. On each card/poster summarise a topic say The Independent reaction you have two choices either to always see these cards/posters around and slowly memorise but the more effective way is to test yourself with them... "I am not allowed to climb the stairs until I blurt out the calvin cycle" or "I am not allowed to open the fridge until" or "I am not allowed to sit on the couch until..." or then test yourself if you get it wrong its fine look at the answer and try again.

Being creative is the key... you can even place it on the toilet door so when nature calls and you are doing your bussiness you are revising!

I hope that has helped :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you so much for the tips! How would you suggest I dicipline myself in order to get this done? I'll have a to-do list, I'll have my time frame, but how can I hold myself accountable? I feel like I'm really nice and easy on myself and that I shouldn't be.
This feels like a burnout, but at the same time, it's been going for a while. I know what I have to do, I just can't seem to execute it and as a result, procrastinate. It's like I need someone checking that I'm doing the work, but when I've asked my teachers, they've said yes but haven't followed through. It's frustrating.
I feel like I'm constantly frustrated at the moment. My moods can tip so fast and I feel so stressed. I know that I'm stressed because I'm not putting enough work in, but I just can't get the motivation to do it, so I'm sat there with my textbooks and booklets on my desk, watching Netflix or Youtube or something right next to them. (I might be oversharing, but I'm quite desperate and need to pull myself together.)

If you don't mind I will reply tomorrow...

hey, this is crazy!! i just put up such a similar post to this! im in exactly the same position as you right now- im in year 13 too and, although we do different subjects, my motivation has similarly hit an all time low. have you managed to motivate yourself at all since you made this thread bc I would highly appreciate some tips? if not, it might help to talk to someone going through the same thing? feel free to message me x

Quick Reply

Latest