The Student Room Group

Funding for second healthcare degree

Hello

I am a 36 year old graduate of a BA (Hons) who has been seriously thinking about retraining to do a career that means something after years of office and admin roles. I am drawn to either Physiotherapy or Nutrition for differing reasons but before I really get into the idea (including arranging some shadowing) I'd like to make sure that i could get a second student loan from SFE and whether there are any restrictions or means testing to this?

I would also like to see if the maintenance loans I see that are sometimes available are paid back in the same way as the student loan itself or whether this is paid back more immediately?

I understand that as I already have a degree I wouldn't get a loan for a second degree in anything but that healthcare degrees such as the two i mention would do.

I realise this is a topic that has been covered fairly extensively but until you find out for your own particular circumstances it never quite feels sure.

Thanks for your time and hopefully responses too.
Hi,

Can you please provide the exact course names and in what university/universities will they each take place? We can check for eligibility and give you your options.

Thanks,
Nihad
Reply 2
Hello Nihad

I live in Exeter so was looking at the BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy at Plymouth University. I could also think about the UWE Physiotherapy course or the Oxford Brookes one (I have family living in Oxford) but Plymouth is my prefered choice.

Thanks for your time.
Original post by Klang180
Hello Nihad

I live in Exeter so was looking at the BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy at Plymouth University. I could also think about the UWE Physiotherapy course or the Oxford Brookes one (I have family living in Oxford) but Plymouth is my prefered choice.

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

Would you be looking to study part time or full time?

Thanks, Duncan.
Reply 4
Full time would be preferred.

Thanks
Reply 5
Sorry to chase you but is there any news on this?
Full time would be preferred.

Thanks

Hi,

You would only be eligible for funding if the course was part time. I've had a look at the three universities you mentioned and none of them offer this course full time unfortunately.

Thanks, Duncan.
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan SFE
Hi,

You would only be eligible for funding if the course was part time. I've had a look at the three universities you mentioned and none of them offer this course full time unfortunately.

Thanks, Duncan.

Hello Duncan

Thanks for getting back to me. I am suprised as the government's own site says allied health professions on their second degree qualify https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform
It seems strange that only a PT would be eligible as surely they would be less likely to need the loan as they can work at the same time?

What am I missing?
Reply 8
Original post by Duncan SFE
Hi,

Thanks, Duncan.

Hello Duncan, given what the government's own website says is there a chance we have different conceptions of what funding means? I was talking about obtaining a second student loan and NOT a bursery or any kind of grant. I had begun to get very interested in Physiotherapy so am a bit disheartened by this news as it would mean I could not pursue this career so I hope you understand me checking this for sure.
Hello Duncan, given what the government's own website says is there a chance we have different conceptions of what funding means? I was talking about obtaining a second student loan and NOT a bursery or any kind of grant. I had begun to get very interested in Physiotherapy so am a bit disheartened by this news as it would mean I could not pursue this career so I hope you understand me checking this for sure.

Hi there,

Apologies for the confusion. Physiotherapy is an exception course, so you'll be fully funded regardless of your previous study.

Also, the courses you mentioned are full time, so this sounds fine. When you decide on a specific course, please let us know and we'll check this again.

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 10
Original post by SFE Graeme
Hi there,

Apologies for the confusion. Physiotherapy is an exception course, so you'll be fully funded regardless of your previous study.

Also, the courses you mentioned are full time, so this sounds fine. When you decide on a specific course, please let us know and we'll check this again.

Warm regards,
Graeme

Hello Graeme

Thanks for clarifying. I would be applying for the B.Sc. at Plymouth as a first choice on a FT basis but according to the helpful SFE advisor on the phone I believe this would be eligible for funding (tuition fees and maintenance loan) though of course it would depend on the individual circumstances of the application. Would you be able to confirm that this course would be covered and if there are any specific circumstances that might affect my eligibility other than the course i.e. total savings, income etc.

Thanks for your time.

Gareth
Hello Graeme

Thanks for clarifying. I would be applying for the B.Sc. at Plymouth as a first choice on a FT basis but according to the helpful SFE advisor on the phone I believe this would be eligible for funding (tuition fees and maintenance loan) though of course it would depend on the individual circumstances of the application. Would you be able to confirm that this course would be covered and if there are any specific circumstances that might affect my eligibility other than the course i.e. total savings, income etc.

Thanks for your time.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

The Plymouth course shows as an exception course on our database, so you should be good to go. Also, we don't take a student's earned income into account, so this won't effect your application.

Warm regards,
Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending