The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Don't meet entry requirements, worth applying?

Hi!

I really love lboro and was planning to apply to do CompSci. My predicted grades are ABC (and I did achieve ABC in my internal exams last year, but none of my teachers are moving my predicted grades up). The entry requirement is ABB, do I have any chance of getting an offer?

Would it help that I'm also doing Certificate in Financial Studies (LIBF qualification)? I don't have a predicted grade for it since I'm not sure if Loughborough actually accepts this qualification, however if they do, I can ask my teacher for a predicted grade (which is most likely going to be an A/A* based off my recent tests). Would this help my chances of getting an offer?

Thank you very much.
Reply 1
Original post by monostable
Hi!

I really love lboro and was planning to apply to do CompSci. My predicted grades are ABC (and I did achieve ABC in my internal exams last year, but none of my teachers are moving my predicted grades up). The entry requirement is ABB, do I have any chance of getting an offer?

Would it help that I'm also doing Certificate in Financial Studies (LIBF qualification)? I don't have a predicted grade for it since I'm not sure if Loughborough actually accepts this qualification, however if they do, I can ask my teacher for a predicted grade (which is most likely going to be an A/A* based off my recent tests). Would this help my chances of getting an offer?

Thank you very much.

Hey, how you doing? I would recommend choosing 1 ambitious choice, 3 realistic choice and 1 safe choice but obviously, don't take my words to heart - what my HoY recommended. I would email/phone the admissions team at Loughborough to ask if they accept the Certificate in Financial Studies and get answers as to whether they'll accept the qualification and potentially reduce the entry requirement. Personally, I think you should still apply because it's a small grade difference and given that you really like the university, I don't think there's a harm in trying - it's only 1/5 choices. :smile:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
@Loughborough University Could you possibly help with the OP's question? :smile:
Hi!

Thank you very much.

It's one grade below. I'd say go for it, especially when Loughborough is often in Clearing anyway, so you'll probably have a decent chance with a good PS.
Reply 4
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hey, how you doing? I would recommend choosing 1 ambitious choice, 3 realistic choice and 1 safe choice but obviously, don't take my words to heart - what my HoY recommended. I would email/phone the admissions team at Loughborough to ask if they accept the Certificate in Financial Studies and get answers as to whether they'll accept the qualification and potentially reduce the entry requirement. Personally, I think you should still apply because it's a small grade difference and given that you really like the university, I don't think there's a harm in trying - it's only 1/5 choices. :smile:

Original post by Blue_Cow
It's one grade below. I'd say go for it, especially when Loughborough is often in Clearing anyway, so you'll probably have a decent chance with a good PS.

Thank you for your responses!

My tutor made me feel much worse and told me not to bother applying since I don't do CompSci A level and I have a very low predicted grade in maths (a C is apparently "very low").

If it's of any use, I do the following subjects:
Mathematics- Predicted C (achieved C last year)
Chemistry- Predicted B (achieved B last year)
Electronics- Predicted A (achieved A- nearly full marks!)
Certificate of Financial Studies Level 3

I have excellent references from all my teachers.

I'm quite disappointed my Electronics teacher won't predict me an A* since that would certainly help my application, he's just not budging and there's not much else I can do, even though I've proved to him I'm capable of getting an A*. It's much worse that he's the head of department so nobody else would listen, not even my tutor!
(edited 5 years ago)

My tutor made me feel much worse and told me not to bother applying since I don't do CompSci A level and I have a very low predicted grade in maths (a C is apparently "very low":wink:.

I'm quite disappointed my Electronics teacher won't predict me an A* since that would certainly help my application, he's just not budging and there's not much else I can do, even though I've proved to him I'm capable of getting an A*. It's much worse that he's the head of department so nobody else would listen, not even my tutor!

Not having CS at A-Level isn't a barrier for any university.

I can see why your tutor might be somewhat concerned about a C in maths seeing CompSci at *certain* universities is extremely mathematics heavy, but it's not that bad and I can't see it being a huge problem.

Yeah, your electronics teacher sounds incredibly annoying... Have you told them you need the prediction to maximise your chances of going to your university of choice? :frown: Can you go higher up in the school? :eek3:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6

My tutor made me feel much worse and told me not to bother applying since I don't do CompSci A level and I have a very low predicted grade in maths (a C is apparently "very low":wink:.

You're absolutely welcome.

I'm not in the best position to answer what CompSci is like if you don't do it at A-Level but @Blue_Cow would be more than happy to answer that for you. Don't be too downbeat about your predictions and I would take what your tutor is saying with a pinch of salt. Just set yourself realistic goals and push yourself to achieve it - perseverance and determination is key to success!

Good luck in your studies. :smile:
Hi!

Thank you very much.

Hi monostable

If it would put your mind at rest it might be worth contacting the department directly and asking them. You have nothing to lose and you'll know for definite. You can also ask about your LIBF qualification.

Get in touch with Dr Gerald Schaefer he's the admissions tutor and a really nice guy to speak to you. You can e-mail him at [email protected]

Just to be aware a previous poster said we are always in clearing so go for it, but we don't tend to drop our grades. They also go up as Clearing and Adjustment is as much about people who have achieved better than predicted and might want to change universities as it is about those who didn't quite get their grades.

Hope that helps :smile:
Vicky
Reply 8
I know a lot of people who got 1 or 2 grades lower than the requirements incl comp sci still got in. I was predicted ABC for a ABB course myself and still got the offer. Definitely apply cause your most likely going to get the offer
Reply 9
Original post by dddd1
I know a lot of people who got 1 or 2 grades lower than the requirements incl comp sci still got in. I was predicted ABC for a ABB course myself and still got the offer. Definitely apply cause your most likely going to get the offer

Thanks for your message :smile:. I think I have a good chance, I've worked hard on my personal statement and I'm very proud of it, plus I have a good GCSE profile (1 A*, 8 A's and a B in English Lang).

Did you apply to Loughborough?

Original post by Blue_Cow
Not having CS at A-Level isn't a barrier for any university.

I can see why your tutor might be somewhat concerned about a C in maths seeing CompSci at *certain* universities is extremely mathematics heavy, but it's not that bad and I can't see it being a huge problem.

Yeah, your electronics teacher sounds incredibly annoying... Have you told them you need the prediction to maximise your chances of going to your university of choice? :frown: Can you go higher up in the school? :eek3:

Unfortunately nobody is doing anything about it. However, I have got a predicted grade for Finance which should help me (A grade prediction). The admissions tutor said I had a good chance of getting a standard offer but I need to focus on getting a B at the end of the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending