The Student Room Group

Nutrition & Dietetics University Applications 2019

Course:
Universities:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with. And keep us updated on how quickly the unis reply!

@Puddles the Monkey

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Applied 17/10/2018
Course: Nutrition and Dietetics
Unis: King's + Surrey

Course: Nutrition (and Medical sciences)
Unis: King's + Surrey + UCL

IB Grades: 35 Points
GCSE Grades: 7A*s 6As

Extracurriculars: Mature Student - Work as a chef. Some hospital experience volunteering/shadowing
Currently on ACCESS To HE course (Science)

No responses from unis yet!
(edited 5 years ago)
@L-M-T Thanks for the tag - have added this to the list! :yay:
Hi guys, I’m currently studying Nutrition and Dietetics at Surrey and would be happy to answer any questions you have 😊
Reply 4
Original post by AlevelBiologist
Hi guys, I’m currently studying Nutrition and Dietetics at Surrey and would be happy to answer any questions you have 😊

How do you like Surrey? I think it's my first choice 😄 any tips for interviews? Also, do many people commute to surrey? I live in London and want to start by trying to commute (would take an hour).
Original post by L-M-T
How do you like Surrey? I think it's my first choice 😄 any tips for interviews? Also, do many people commute to surrey? I live in London and want to start by trying to commute (would take an hour).

Overall it’s great. It is a really good environment. Be aware though there is basically no nutrition in the first year, just biosciences and food science.

For interviews, just make sure you understand current topics in Dietetics. They will ask difficult scenarios of what might happen as a dietitian and you would say what you do. They will also informally assess you current knowledge of nutrition (very basic, don’t worry)

Some people do commute but it makes their social life a nightmare and they end up missing lots of lectures as they aren’t prepared to do a 2 hour + round trip for a 50 minute lecture that’s barely in English and recorded on Panopto anyway (our lecture capture system - a lifesaver and brilliant software)
Reply 6
awesome! Is the science level a large step up from A Level? Chemistry was never my favourite subject...… Do they mind if you miss lectures if they're on lecture capture anyway?
Reply 7
Original post by L-M-T
Applied 17/10/2018
Course: Nutrition and Dietetics
Unis: King's + Surrey

Course: Nutrition (and Medical sciences)
Unis: King's + Surrey + UCL

IB Grades: 35 Points
GCSE Grades: 7A*s 6As

Extracurriculars: Mature Student - Work as a chef. Some hospital experience volunteering/shadowing
Currently on ACCESS To HE course (Science)

No responses from unis yet!

Hey! I am planning on applying for Nutrition and Dietetics as well at Kings and Surrey. I am actually apart of the American System so I don't know if my information will be helpful? I haven't applied yet because I am waiting on my SAT Subject test scores. I might have misinterpreted what you wrote but I was wondering how are you applying for the Nutrition and Dietetics course and Nutrition ( and medical sciences) course. I thought you could only apply for one? Thanks so much :smile:

Hi I’ve got an offer for Surrey but have heard lots of bad reviews on how expensive it is to live there and that Surrey is a very boring place, just wandering if you could give your honest opinion?x
Hey,
How many people are on the nutrition and dietetics course? Thanks x
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by rocket411
Hey,
How many people are on the nutrition and dietetics course? Thanks x

at Surrey, we have a cap of 40.
Original post by AmeliaSyds
Hi I’ve got an offer for Surrey but have heard lots of bad reviews on how expensive it is to live there and that Surrey is a very boring place, just wandering if you could give your honest opinion?x

It is pricier than most places, but this is due to it being in the commuter county of Surrey. The University makes a loss on accommodation, offering large budget rooms from £76//week (2018 prices) which is cheaper than the vast majority of universities, even in much lower cost areas. I don't find it boring at all, but it is a small town, so if you ant the London life then Surrey probably won't offer that, but there are lots of good clubs and activities, as well as parks and hills to explore.
Course: Nutrition and Dietetics (mixture of both)
Universities: KCL, Leeds, Leeds Beckett, Newcastle, Northumbria
Grades: I do an Access to HE so 45 Distinctions predicted
Extracurricular: I enjoy volunteering and cooking
GCSE Grades: 1 D*, 1 A*, 5 A's, 3 B's
Original post by L-M-T
awesome! Is the science level a large step up from A Level? Chemistry was never my favourite subject...… Do they mind if you miss lectures if they're on lecture capture anyway?

The biology is, but you’re supported. The chemistry so far is more or less A-level standard, but this may change as I progress through the programme.

Hi, I'm applying to Surrey this month. How did your interview go? What did they ask you about?
Has anyone had any offers/ interviews yet? :smile:
Reply 16
Hi everyone! Does anyone know if Student Finance cover the fees for the two years? Cannot get very far on www.student-finance.service.gov.uk, as they say I am not eligible online and phone is currently out of use to call.Thanks in advance!Good luck in your applications :smile:!
I've applied for University of Chester and University of Ulster. I'm on a gap year with my A level grades already. I got an unconditional for Chester however I don't know about Ulster yet. Chester seems like a lovely city but I'd rather stay in Northern Ireland!
Original post by erin.janet
I've applied for University of Chester and University of Ulster. I'm on a gap year with my A level grades already. I got an unconditional for Chester however I don't know about Ulster yet. Chester seems like a lovely city but I'd rather stay in Northern Ireland!

I’ve applied to Chester too!
Course: Dietetics
Universities: Coventry, Nottingham
A level / IB / Higher grades: Currently doing an access HE in science
GCSE grades: 1 A, 2 B, 6 .
Extracurriculars: Worked full time until now!

Quick Reply

Latest