The Student Room Group

Holiday pay in Primark?

Hey

I work weekends at Primark, and I need to make sense of how much I've earned for two particular months. On my payslips, my pay is broken up into two types: Basic Pay and Holiday Pay. The problem is that I don't recall taking holidays during these months, but I do recall being sick for a day or weekend here and there. Is it possible that what's called Holiday Pay on my pay slips is actually sick pay? For anyone else that works at Primark - do your pay slips also use the term "holiday pay" for sick pay?
Reply 1
I checked my payslips when I took a sick day in December last and nothing was noted on my payslip
Original post by MattR_0
I checked my payslips when I took a sick day in December last and nothing was noted on my payslip

Did you just take the one sick day?
Reply 3
Original post by The_Architect
Did you just take the one sick day?

Yeah
Original post by MattR_0
Yeah

That makes sense then. I was reading the handbook and it says that both statutory sick pay (and I think company sick pay, too, which is an extra type of sick pay) starts from (or after, possibly) the third day of sickness. If that's the case then you wouldn't get paid for the odd sick day here and there, in which case there's nothing to show up on the payslip for sick days. Looks like in my case I did take days off as holidays in those months and just forgot about them, so in short, "Holiday pay" on a pay slip actually means holiday pay.

Thanks for your help.
Ask your manager who can explain why it's there and what it means
Reply 6
That makes sense then. I was reading the handbook and it says that both statutory sick pay (and I think company sick pay, too, which is an extra type of sick pay) starts from (or after, possibly) the third day of sickness. If that's the case then you wouldn't get paid for the odd sick day here and there, in which case there's nothing to show up on the payslip for sick days. Looks like in my case I did take days off as holidays in those months and just forgot about them, so in short, "Holiday pay" on a pay slip actually means holiday pay.

Thanks for your help.

Oh interesting. I lost my handbook pretty early on so didn't know that. I did a bit of overtime as well during that period so couldn't work out the hours paid if they were for normal work or sick pay.
Original post by MattR_0
Oh interesting. I lost my handbook pretty early on so didn't know that. I did a bit of overtime as well during that period so couldn't work out the hours paid if they were for normal work or sick pay.

I never even got given one, just found it as a PDF in My Workday
Reply 8
Anyone work at ASDA, or know anyone working at ASDA?? Need to ask some questions
Reply 9
Original post by Sara16x
Anyone work at ASDA, or know anyone working at ASDA?? Need to ask some questions

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1444691
Reply 10
Thanks!!

Thanks for your help.

It is common practice for managers to put you in for holidays when you're off sick. It's called being nice.
Original post by Notoriety
It is common practice for managers to put you in for holidays when you're off sick. It's called being nice.

Are you being serious? I've never heard of this happening at Primark, and I can't see it being the case.
Are you being serious? I've never heard of this happening at Primark, and I can't see it being the case.

I mean it is common across all employers (particularly line managers), rather than Primark specifically.
Primark won’t mark you as holidays while being sick. I’ve been off sick for 4 weeks and you have to be with them for 6 months to be eligible for statutory sick pay and they encourage you to use your holidays in order to get paid. If you go onto the workday app, then click book time off, you get shown a calendar which you choose days to book off. You can look back previously and if you had a holiday, it’ll be marked with a little briefcase.

hope that kinda helps.
They encouraged me to get it off as holidays but they declined my requests, so they can’t do it for you essentially.
Ngl I’d be miffed if they used my holidays on a sick day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending