The Student Room Group

what revision methods do you use?

hi! i’m looking for new revision techniques so if you could comment what you do it would be great!!
- notes (simple
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
cue cards !! colour-coded cue cards are the BEST for revising in my opinion
Reply 3
mind maps
My General Study Techniques:

The Pomodoro Technique whilst i'm learning the content for the first time. This is how it works: Study for 25 minutes at a time and reward yourself with a 5 minute break. After doing this twice more, reward yourself with a 15 minute break at the end of your third study period of 25 minutes. Then restart and continue. This technique breaks down your workload into small, manageable chunks to stay fresh and focused throughout the day.

Spaced repetition to ensure I don't forget the content that i've learnt. It means you review information at gradually increasing intervals, so it becomes retained in your long-term memory.

The Feynman technique to check if I'm thorough with what i've learnt. It states that if you've really understood something completely, you should easily be able to explain it in simple terms to someone that knows absolutely nothing about the topic.

If I'm revising I'll read revision books before I go to bed and then in the morning I make sure I've understood it understood it by using flashcards. Although Infinite Series' advice is probably much better.
Reply 6
I make notes handwritten and then make mind Maps from them with colours - read them all then practice questions
Reply 7
notes on notes on notes... simplifying each time.

also instagram stories can act as flashcards
Reply 8
Depends what you are revising tbh , if its a maths subject then past papers would be the best revision tip
When I am revising I always put on my uniform then I feel more able to concentrate and study rather than being casual. I feel out of uniform my mind drifts
I'd like to hear it too
Reply 11
I turned my iPad passwords and Google passwords into the Physics and Maths/Further Maths formulas so I won't forget them.
I also rewrote song lyrics into the textbook content. I recently made one about Factors affecting Rate of Reaction, based on Shotgun.
Original post by amirahc
hi! i’m looking for new revision techniques so if you could comment what you do it would be great!!

Hi there,

Great question.

Can really come down to the type of learner you are to find the right technique for you. There are 4 main types of learner - visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinesthetic.

Visual learners prefer to see things in different formats like graphs, charts an pictures so cue cards can be a good way for visual learners to revise. Making posters, flowcharts or just notes on post-its and displaying them around your room can help.

Auditory learners prefer to listen and hear and repeat things back. This is where practicing outloud with others can be a good technique or even having music in the background to help you remember information.

Reading and writing learners interact best with text, so using revision text books, past exam papers to practice, practicing writing essays can be a good way to revise.

Finally we have kinesthetic, who prefer to learn through hands on and practical experieces. Cue cards can help here, or recording voice notes or podcasts and then doing an exercise or activity whilst listening.

You might be just one learning stype or a mixture of them, you just need to find the right techniques for you. It can also help to create a revision schedule so that you can plan in time for all your subjects as well as time for yourself. If you're not such which techniques work best for you try them all and see which one helps you remember the most information.

I hope this helps, we're always happy to help if you have any further questions.
Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest