The Student Room Group

Law A Level Option Please Help

Is it really necessary for me to do law a level?

I would like to do a law degree or possibly something sciency to do with genetics and fertilisation

Here are my a level options
Most likely I will choose: history, law, biology, maths

Or option two is history, law, bio and Chen

My preferred option is number one

Thank you for reading :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mxf.e

I would like to do a law degree or possibly something sciency to do with genetics and fertilisation

Law A level is not required. Neither is doing 4 A levels - you should aim to do three and excel in them.
Reply 2
*chemistry
Original post by Mxf.e

Nope! No Law A Level required! I was considering a law degree while choosing my options. Very few courses have requirements other than a good essay based subject. So no need for law at A Level! Keep your options open. And no, it doesn't advantage you, having spoken to Law Professors some say they have to unteach some concepts taught at A Level in degree. Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Law A level is not required. Neither is doing 4 A levels - you should aim to do three and excel in them.

Thank youuuuu, which three would be the best for law?
Reply 5
If you're bright enough to do well in bio, chem, maths, and history, don't choose Law A-level. Universities say they have no preference but to be honest, top ranking universities would much rather see you do more 'traditional' subjects than ones which may be considered 'easier' or 'weaker' such as Law.
Reply 6
Original post by Anon4012
Nope! No Law A Level required! I was considering a law degree while choosing my options. Very few courses have requirements other than a good essay based subject. So no need for law at A Level! Keep your options open. And no, it doesn't advantage you, having spoken to Law Professors some say they have to unteach some concepts taught at A Level in degree. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. What a levels did you end up doing?
Original post by Mxf.e

The best three are those which you have the best chance of getting A*AA in! The subjects really don't matter.
Reply 8
Original post by Mxf.e

Uni's favour essay-based subjects therefore History combined with bio, chem or maths would make you a more desirable law student.
Original post by Mxf.e
Thank you so much. What a levels did you end up doing?

Haha well... Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry- with an EPQ! I realised I couldn't give up science and hate writing essays... In year 13 at current and loving in, Chemical Engineering degree here I come. :smile:
Reply 10
From the options OP is considering, history is the only essay-based subject :smile: Furthermore, I personally believe one essay-based subject is still suitable provided that the other two are equally strong A-levels (e.g. maths or science)
Reply 11
Haha well... Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry- with an EPQ! I realised I couldn't give up science and hate writing essays... In year 13 at current and loving in, Chemical Engineering degree here I come. :smile:

What out you against law then?
Reply 12
*put
Reply 13
Original post by Fhutton17
From the options OP is considering, history is the only essay-based subject :smile: Furthermore, I personally believe one essay-based subject is still suitable provided that the other two are equally strong A-levels (e.g. maths or science)

What do you mean by strong A levels? Are those two strong because they’re facilitating subjects?
Reply 14
Is it more desirable to have more than one essay subject then? E.g. history, English and biology?
Reply 15
Original post by Fhutton17
Uni's favour essay-based subjects therefore History combined with bio, chem or maths would make you a more desirable law student.

Thank you so much- I think I shall do history, bio, maths then
Reply 16
Original post by Mxf.e
What do you mean by strong A levels? Are those two strong because they’re facilitating subjects?

By strong I mean they are seen as more academically challenging and therefore appear more 'impressive' to universities.
Reply 17
Original post by Mxf.e
Thank you so much- I think I shall do history, bio, maths then

Up to you mate! Chemistry is equally impressive and equally difficult - do what you want :smile:
Original post by Mxf.e
What out you against law then?

Good question... I'm quite a logical person and prefer to plan things meticulously and know exactly what I want to do way before I need to start making plans and putting stuff into place. I got my GCSE results and then I felt the pressure of where next - if you get me. From my experience of A Levels now, keep it broad, play to strengths and when you finally decide on your course/realise your passion it's likely the subjects you'll have chosen will meet up! I think I liked the idea of being a lawyer as it is quite logical, also maybe tv shows slightly influenced my aspirations (silly I know). My best advice to anyone, sure or not, is to keep researching, keep trying taster sessions, talking to students, getting work experience etc!
Reply 19
Good question... I'm quite a logical person and prefer to plan things meticulously and know exactly what I want to do way before I need to start making plans and putting stuff into place. I got my GCSE results and then I felt the pressure of where next - if you get me. From my experience of A Levels now, keep it broad, play to strengths and when you finally decide on your course/realise your passion it's likely the subjects you'll have chosen will meet up! I think I liked the idea of being a lawyer as it is quite logical, also maybe tv shows slightly influenced my aspirations (silly I know). My best advice to anyone, sure or not, is to keep researching, keep trying taster sessions, talking to students, getting work experience etc!

This also describes the kind of person I am. I like to questions things and I figure out what’s right or wrong. Since if it’s best to keep it broad perhaps it is best to do chemistry rather than maths for me.

Thank you so much for your help

Quick Reply

Latest