The Student Room Group

Ex Polys, why are people looked down on so much?

ii
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 17blackhes
Please could someone explain WHY ex polys are looked down on despite some reaching higher than russell groups in the league table?

I go to Trent and the number of Uni Of Notts people who have refused to speak to me on a night out when I mention I go to Trent is unbelievable.

Why are people like this? It’s making me really upset and wanting to leave uni because I feel like my degree will be useless.

Some people are academic snobs. Just gotta ignore it and move on.
Reply 2
They just want to feel superior. Probably just some deep rooted insecurity idk. What uni you went to barely matters when you start a job. Just ignore them x
Reply 3
Because when people make you feel **** about your uni, how else am I meant to feel?
Reply 4
I go to Trent and the number of Uni Of Notts people who have refused to speak to me on a night out when I mention I go to Trent is unbelievable.

Why are people like this? It’s making me really upset and wanting to leave uni because I feel like my degree will be useless.

Because some people are eejits. You can ask one of them :poke: @Realitysreflexx
Reply 5
More reputation/employment aspect, it just is quite upsetting when people don’t want to talk to you based on the uni you go to if you see where I’m coming from, which makes me feel like what I’m doing is pointless
Reply 6
They legitimately won't talk to you?

Wow. What uttrer jebends.
Reply 7
Original post by Notoriety
Those who go to ex-polies are not people.

Just what does that mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please could someone explain WHY ex polys are looked down on despite some reaching higher than russell groups in the league table?

That's so stupid if they do that. Glancing outside Trent's campuses, they sure do like to flaunt their Guardian 2019 ranking of a 'top 20' university though, slightly misleading...

The thing is, it probably isn't down to your university being ex-poly but actually because it's the University of Nottingham's rival and being one half of two universities in the city means 'banter' and jokes towards each other do happen. UCL students like to joke about KCL being a supposed ex-poly too but it isn't.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Because some people are eejits. You can ask one of them :poke: @Realitysreflexx

Alot of people only talk to their friends on nights out, not really an issue in nottingham.....unless your boring, or maybe too drunk, of course there are some snobby kids at nottingham, but when you sit in the lunch hall at trent does everyone speak to you?

Where in life does everyone speak to you lmao. Grow up.

I think - well I know - this deep seated bias is old. When polys were granted university status, it was felt that the concept of university was being cheapened. Polys were generally technical colleges where the more practical person could go. I think if you look at league tables you will see that some of the "old" universities are languishing well below some of the ex polys.

You go to Trent - and Nottingham Uni students are a bit RAH - bit like the posh school in town looking down on the state school. You aren't going to change them overnight if ever but just ignore them. Many of the departments at NTU are excellent - I believe Law is one of the best in the country. My son and daughter in law both went to NTU - both have done exceptionally well - son just completed a MSc and DIL has had stellar trajectory in teaching ( one of the youngest deputy head in the country)

You enjoy your university time - at the end of the day - as previous posters have said - no one will care where you got your degree from - they want to know that you have enjoyed it, achieved your maximum and are a well rounded and accepting individual.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
To be totally honest, judging the results you have achieved trent is likely the best you can do....if i had to go to an ex poly trent would be it.

ABB- UP Nottingham
CCC- SLIGHTLY BELOW TRENT

You haven't shown enough academic talent to get complacent now, focus on your work not where you doing it or employment. You need a good degree first.

Why the assumption that I didn’t achieve high enough to attend Uni of? I picked Trent over Uni Of for a reason
Why the assumption that I didn’t achieve high enough to attend Uni of? I picked Trent over Uni Of for a reason

Yea ok....then why be worried about what uni of students think? And why try and talk to them when you clearly figures you "fit" better into the architecture of trent.
I talk to them because I am a nice person. I am not a chav which I assume is what you think I am. I come from a middle class town in Greater London. I just want to know why I am being treated like less of a human because of the uni I attend? Imo it makes uni of students look bad
if you ain't feeling the university you're attending at the moment, then the best thing to do would either drop out or transfer. if you're having doubts about NTU then that may also have an impact on your studies. I attend NTU and the facilities / resources / teaching is excellent. If you had the choice to choose UoN over NTU, why didn't you? It is clearly the better university. The Guardian University guide should be taken with a grain of salt because it is not that accurate.
I talk to them because I am a nice person. I am not a chav which I assume is what you think I am. I come from a middle class town in Greater London. I just want to know why I am being treated like less of a human because of the uni I attend? Imo it makes uni of students look bad

Why are you looking down on chavs? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest