The Student Room Group

Ortho module

Hello everyone,

I'm in my 4th year. I wanted to ask if anyone has advice on how to study the ortho module? im finding it the most difficult
Reply 1
There is a fracture. You need to fix it.

Not sure how much you actually need to know at your med school, I don't remember learning much at all from my block, despite having to do an excessive number of clinics/theatre lists.
Reply 2
Fracture wise
If is stable, immobilise
If it’s unstable, stabilise then immobilise
If it’s open as above plus tetanus vaccination and antibiotics (usually!)

Always check neurovascular status Ie. Can they feel below the injury and are there pulses below level of injury. Always be wary of complications eg. clots, compartment syndrome, malalignment and non union etc.

T
Original post by Helenia
There is a fracture. You need to fix it.

Not sure how much you actually need to know at your med school, I don't remember learning much at all from my block, despite having to do an excessive number of clinics/theatre lists.

thank you for the response! :smile:
Original post by ahorey
Fracture wise
If is stable, immobilise
If it’s unstable, stabilise then immobilise
If it’s open as above plus tetanus vaccination and antibiotics (usually!)

Always check neurovascular status Ie. Can they feel below the injury and are there pulses below level of injury. Always be wary of complications eg. clots, compartment syndrome, malalignment and non union etc.

T

thank you for the response! :smile:, what resources did you use?
Reply 5
Original post by Themedstudent97

ED consultant teaching! Ortho said basically the same but got more complicated about it; we basically need to know when to do conservative treatment and when to do surgical, surgical methods are internal and external. Internal could be K wire/screw/pin/plate, external is things like frames. Then need to know if intracalsular or extracapsular, esp. for hip as that dictates the type of replacement.

Soft tissue injuries can be harder to understand though, but there’s a good ortho textbook (purple ish one) but If you want to go into more depth there is a good book by Kumar called clinical sports medicine which is excellent but more extensive than a med student needs to know,
Reply 6

I know this wasn't direvcted to me, but I just used this website:

https://almostadoctor.co.uk/browse/orthopaedics

It looks like a lot but I don't think I learnt all of those topics either. I find that website very helpful for specialities which I struggled with (like Haematology). It condenses the information down into short chunks and has some lovely tables and diagrams which help you to remmeber the important points.
e
Original post by Angury
I know this wasn't direvcted to me, but I just used this website:

https://almostadoctor.co.uk/browse/orthopaedics

It looks like a lot but I don't think I learnt all of those topics either. I find that website very helpful for specialities which I struggled with (like Haematology). It condenses the information down into short chunks and has some lovely tables and diagrams which help you to remmeber the important points.

omg thank you soooo much!is that
enough or did you have to use any other resource
Reply 8
e
omg thank you soooo much!is that
enough or did you have to use any other resource

I just used this and passmedicine (which wasn't really very useful for Ortho) and that was enough for clinicals. Then agan, our exams didn't really have much Ortho. The OSCE stations were generally just going through 'Look, Feel, Move.'
Original post by Angury
I just used this and passmedicine (which wasn't really very useful for Ortho) and that was enough for clinicals. Then agan, our exams didn't really have much Ortho. The OSCE stations were generally just going through 'Look, Feel, Move.'

thanks alot !!!!!!!!!
There is an excellent app called Ortho Flow that may be a bit above medical school level but is great for anyone doing A&E/ortho SHO on-calls - it goes through how (and why) to deal with most injuries.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
There is an excellent app called Ortho Flow that may be a bit above medical school level but is great for anyone doing A&E/ortho SHO on-calls - it goes through how (and why) to deal with most injuries.

thank you so much~!
Not just for Ortho but for any surgical topic for medical school finals:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surgical-Talk-Lecture-Undergraduate-Surgery/dp/1848166141

One of the best books I used in medical school.
Original post by Kyalimers
Not just for Ortho but for any surgical topic for medical school finals:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surgical-Talk-Lecture-Undergraduate-Surgery/dp/1848166141

One of the best books I used in medical school.

thank u!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending