The Student Room Group

Applying for Tech roles/schemes without a IT degree

I have a completely unrelated Science degree (2:1) but want to get into the Tech field, but it seems across the whole of the UK no one is training.

I've found a lot of "scams" as in sign a contract with us for 2 years and if you try to leave you are fined £12k fees from companies like Captia, FDM and QA. I just want to find a proper traineeship, tech internship, opportunity for someone without a tech degree.

I've been teaching myself front end web development but its going slow and have been applying for 4 months now with no luck.

I'm open to anywhere in the UK, Europe or International.
Reply 1
Original post by NoGueyJosé
I have a completely unrelated Science degree (2:1) but want to get into the Tech field, but it seems across the whole of the UK no one is training.

I've found a lot of "scams" as in sign a contract with us for 2 years and if you try to leave you are fined £12k fees from companies like Captia, FDM and QA. I just want to find a proper traineeship, tech internship, opportunity for someone without a tech degree.

I've been teaching myself front end web development but its going slow and have been applying for 4 months now with no luck.

I'm open to anywhere in the UK, Europe or International.

Hey,

Wondering if you found anything for this which may help others?
Reply 2
Original post by 8472
Hey,

Wondering if you found anything for this which may help others?

Nothing at all did find some potential opportunities through networking but they've gone completely silent.
Try doing vocational degree in the UK.
If you;re not elligible, then try in mid Europe, you can get some good, many long months-long quality courses 5 times cheaper than in the UK, or apply to the local university out there to do Computer Science course for way lower fees.
You will have to learn programming mainly on your own if you go to mid-European university, because at CS courses they tend to concentrate on mathematics, and related theory.
Reply 4
Original post by PTMalewski
Try doing vocational degree in the UK.
If you;re not elligible, then try in mid Europe, you can get some good, many long months-long quality courses 5 times cheaper than in the UK, or apply to the local university out there to do Computer Science course for way lower fees.
You will have to learn programming mainly on your own if you go to mid-European university, because at CS courses they tend to concentrate on mathematics, and related theory.

"try in mid Europe, you can get some good, many long months-long quality courses 5 times cheaper than in the UK"

Where could you point me towards something, like website, or big list of resources, i'd be open to that but couldn't find anything avaliable to me. I'm open to all of Europe.

I have basic level coding skills but I don't want to go into straight education, something more vocational with actual work experience rather then coming out at 25 without any proper work experience.
I would if given time, but to get work experience in IT you first need to have a portfolio of working programmes first anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending