The Student Room Group

Does anyone's feel racial equality goes a bit too far sometimes?

I don't mean people from other races shouldn't have certain jobs or are inn any way less important than anyone else that would be totally wrong but this story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45978590 it seems the main problem The twitter user had was that it was all white men well to be honest in those days (the time it depicts) it was mostly white men in university.

If it was honouring The British Empires soldiers I could see that but it's not it's honouring The Southampton University students who made the ultimate sacrifice for their, my country.

The problem is this isn't the first time something like this has come up The film Dunkirk was criticised for not having Black characters if you look at the photos from That operation you'll see very few if any Black Asian or Chinese faces so why would they be in the film.

By all means if there're stories about Black soldiers in WW2 then those stories should be told and made into a film but most of those soldiers were diploid in Africa not Europe so it would be a different film wouldn't it not forgetting focusing on the Black soldiers would put the focus on racism changing the focus of the film.

by all means have Black Chinese Asian or any other race or gender in art and films or any other media but don't change things if it's not needed like the painting in Southampton and other things.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jonathanemptage
The problem is this isn't the first time something like this has come up The film Dunkirk was criticised for not having Black characters if you look at the photos from That operation you'll see very few if any Black Asian or Chinese faces so why would they be in the film.

Is that because other ethnicities weren't there, or because other ethnicities weren't deemed worthy of being recorded?

Hint; they were definitely there.
Reply 2
People are turning into snowflakes is actually becoming annoying. Multiculturalism wasn’t as common as it is these days!
I don't mean people from other races shouldn't have certain jobs or are inn any way less important than anyone else that would be totally wrong but this story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45978590 it seems the main problem The twitter user had was that it was all white men well to be honest in those days (the time it depicts) it was mostly white men in university.

If it was honouring The British Empires soldiers I could see that but it's not it's honouring The Southampton University students who made the ultimate sacrifice for their, my country.

By all means if there're stories about Black soldiers in WW2 then those stories should be told and made into a film but most of those soldiers were diploid in Africa not Europe so it would be a different film wouldn't it not forgetting focusing on the Black soldiers would put the focus on racism changing the focus of the film.

by all means have Black Chinese Asian or any other race or gender in art and films or any other media but don't change things if it's not needed like the painting in Southampton and other things.

Oh, it's time for Iconoclastic Post Of The Day.

Bit early, isn't it? It's not even 8pm!
Original post by Drewski
Is that because other ethnicities weren't there, or because other ethnicities weren't deemed worthy of being recorded?

Hint; they were definitely there.

It's either that they weren't there or they weren't deemed worthy of being recorded but if it's the latter then why it it a problem if the stories aren't told if there not recorded how are the filmmakers meant to know them. Also it's got to flow in a film and i feel a plot focusing on racism which lets face it that the aspect they would have focused on (it is Hollywood after all). would have been a bit jarring in Dunkirk don't you.
Original post by storm95
People are turning into snowflakes is actually becoming annoying. Multiculturalism wasn’t as common as it is these days!

my point exactly.
Original post by Reality Check
Oh, it's time for Iconoclastic Post Of The Day.

Bit early, isn't it? It's not even 8pm!

I'm not saying destroy these things I'm saying keep them the way they are.
Reply 7
It's either that they weren't there or they weren't deemed worthy of being recorded but if it's the latter then why it it a problem if the stories aren't told if there not recorded how are the filmmakers meant to know them. Also it's got to flow in a film and i feel a plot focusing on racism which lets face it that the aspect they would have focused on (it is Hollywood after all). would have been a bit jarring in Dunkirk don't you.

Not really. It's a film designed to show the scale of the evacuations. Yes it focused on a couple of set storylines to tell the particular story in Nolan's way, and yes it's true that while there were black and asian soldiers in the beach they were just 'there' rather than being involved in any significant action, but in the big panning shots of the beach would it really have made much of a difference to a have a regiment or two represented? You don't need to focus on racism in any way. You just include people. It doesn't change the narrative.

They CGI'd in tens of thousands of soldiers to pack out the beach in a representation of what the Dunkirk beach looked like that week. It wouldn't have taken much effort to be a tiny bit more historically accurate.

Band of Brothers managed it...
The mural wasn’t painted for Southampton. It was to commemorate all British (in the sense of Britain at the time so including the empire) students who died in the Great War. It was unfinished and donated to Southampton after no one would fund its completion.

From 2005-2014 it was covered by plasterboard. Prior to 1996ish it was in the staff bar. So it’s not like it has been venerated for most of its existence!
Original post by PQ
The mural wasn’t painted for Southampton. It was to commemorate all British (in the sense of Britain at the time so including the empire) students who died in the Great War. It was unfinished and donated to Southampton after no one would fund its completion.

From 2005-2014 it was covered by plasterboard. Prior to 1996ish it was in the staff bar. So it’s not like it has been venerated for most of its existence!

Even if that was the initial intention the unfinished version perfectly reflects what Southampton have put it up to represent it obviously means something different to it's original message.
Nothing wrong with racial equality movements. Quite a lot wrong with racial equity movements disguised as equality movements.

Have them when it fits the historical reality and proportion of the image to said reality.
I don't suppose it would be good if we had movie about Nazi Germany with Blacks and Jews in SS.
Original post by PTMalewski
Have them when it fits the historical reality and proportion of the image to said reality.
I don't suppose it would be good if we had movie about Nazi Germany with Blacks and Jews in SS.

I know right I really hate that or when a character is made gay or trans for no other reason than to be politically inclusive by all means if it’s vital to the story or something but like in Star Trek there was no reason for Sulu (is that spelt right) to be gay it was just a box ticking exercize
I know right I really hate that or when a character is made gay or trans for no other reason than to be politically inclusive by all means if it’s vital to the story or something but like in Star Trek there was no reason for Sulu (is that spelt right) to be gay it was just a box ticking exercize

Do you know anything about the original principles and ideas behind Star Trek?

It reminds me a comedy TV show that was filmed in communist Poland early 80ies, called 'Subs'.
One of the main characters was a woman who pretends that she is a man, another important character is an Asian student, and another main character is taken for a gay by his boss... All like 38 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn18a1wzZwM
Too much equality - who would have thought? I mean - these minorities should know their place right?
Original post by ByEeek
Too much equality - who would have thought? I mean - these minorities should know their place right?

That completely the opposite of what I meant it’s more we should not sacrifice historical accuracy for some idiot who took offence because there were no black or other people in the picture although in this country in those days it was mostly white men in our university’s.
Outrage media was an issue. Now there is an Outrage outrage media issue. Where right-wing sites effectively take a few comments from libtards on the internet and make it appear as if every liberal has that opinion and it is an issue up for debate. Smh. Americanisation of our politics and media is the worst thing that's happened.

Still got love for Dailymail thou.
Not another one of these silly threads.
Reply 19
you can't change someone else's art. lol art is literally a story told through the perspective of the artist - it's their story, their expression. it doesn't have to be right; it just has to be theirs. the only time you may change anything is if you're using it for satire, say a t-shirt and you take Andy Warhol's Marilyn Monroe and make her a black lady. ffs.

imo seems this student union president was desperate for a cause, joining the 'take down all historical artefacts they might look/might be racist' so she can add something to her legacy. :rolleyes: i'm totally not against that if it's in the majorities interest, but you don't change a piece of art to make it 'more accurate'. only think you do is replace it with something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending