The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What are my chances?

Applying to LSE, for economics L100

with 5 A* 4 A at GCSE & A* A* A* A* + A* EPQ in Math, FM, physics, and economics (Predicted)

I am worried about my GCSEs, do you think they will bring down my chances?
Exam results by themselves are meaningless.

LSE - like all universities - will consider your grades in the context in which you achieved them. So if you go to an amazing top private school where most people get straight A*s, then your GCSEs don't look great, but if you go to a state school/comprehensive and your grades were some of the best in your year, then they're absolutely fine.

Also, your grades show an upward trajectory from GCSEs to A-levels, which LSE also likes.

It's impossible to say whether or not you will get an offer - you're certainly in the running, but it's the quality of your personal statement, the context in which you achieved your grades, and the relative strength of your application compared to other candidates, that will determine whether you get an offer.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
Exam results by themselves are meaningless.

LSE - like all universities - will consider your grades in the context in which you achieved them. So if you go to an amazing top private school where most people get straight A*s, then your GCSEs don't look great, but if you go to a state school/comprehensive and your grades were some of the best in your year, then they're absolutely fine.

Also, your grades show an upward trajectory from GCSEs to A-levels, which LSE also likes.

It's impossible to say whether or not you will get an offer - you're certainly in the running, but it's the quality of your personal statement, the context in which you achieved your grades, and the relative strength of your application compared to other candidates, that will determine whether you get an offer.

If I moved from a state school to a private school after sitting GCSEs, would this still be the case?
My school was 70% 5 (A* - C), is this bad contextually?
I also achieved the top gcses in my school, will the university see this statistic?
Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by conortfww
If I moved from a state school to a private school after sitting GCSEs, would this still be the case?
My school was 70% 5 (A* - C), is this bad contextually?
Thanks

As long as you did your GCSEs at a state school, that's the context they'll consider - as long as you stated on your UCAS application that you sat your GCSEs at that school.

I have no idea what the national average is for the rate of 5A* to C, so I'm not in a position to say what is 'bad'.

But certainly, many private schools have a 100 A* to B rate for all GCSEs sat, so LSE would realistically expect applicants from these schools to have straight A*s. Whereas your GCSE grades sound excellent for your school, so I really don't think they'll hold you back.

I hope that makes sense.
And - while I have absolutely zero insight into how LSE ranks admissions - I would have thought it likely that 5-8 A*s & the rest A's at a state comprehensive would be regarded as roughly equal to 10A*s at a top private school.
Reply 5
Original post by LeapingLucy
And - while I have absolutely zero insight into how LSE ranks admissions - I would have thought it likely that 5-8 A*s & the rest A's at a state comprehensive would be regarded as roughly equal to 10A*s at a top private school.

Oh okay, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending