The Student Room Group

Has the hijab lost its meaning?

I'm a muslim and I wear a hijab.

I've come across muslim women via the internet (especially youtube and instagram) who wear a hijab, but appear to not understand the purpose of it. Same with some of my muslim friends.

I wouldn't say I am a very religious person, but I am aware that wearing A LOT of make-up and being so conscious of one's own facial appearance completely diminishes the point of wearing a hijab.

The hijab is meant to be a symbol of modesty, but now it seems to be "trendy". I have no problem with people who do simply wear a scarf around their head as a fashion statement, but when it is for religious reasons..

that's where people are getting it so wrong.

What are your views on the hijab and what it stands for?
If you agree or disagree with my points, I would love to hear feedback regardless of your religious status. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

YouTube is not a reliable source for anything
I disagree. Can you lot allow it with the modesty? You think I’m wearing a Hijab because these men can’t can’t stop sexualising everything. Some wear it to show people they are Muslim. No one can really tell if you’re not wearing a hijab tbh. Some girls who wear hijab and makeup are the same. Makeup doesn’t change ANYTHING.
If it defies the purpose it can't be called hijab. Head cover alone is not hijab.
Original post by Andrew97
YouTube is not a reliable source for anything

very true but it's clearly where people get influenced from
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rainfall
I disagree. Can you lot allow it with the modesty? You think I’m wearing a Hijab because these men can’t can’t stop sexualising everything. Some wear it to show people they are Muslim. No one can really tell if you’re not wearing a hijab tbh. Some girls who wear hijab and makeup are the same. Makeup doesn’t change ANYTHING.

i wear make up on occasions, but it's not that i have an issue with. it's just very BOLD make up
Original post by Humble Ahm
If it defies the purpose it can't be called hijab. Head cover alone is not hijab.

yeah the word is just used so carelessly
A Hijab is merely a piece of material on your head but it DOES NOT instantly mean you're a good muslim. I don't wear the hijab and view myself as a good Muslim (don't drink, smoke etc). My bestfriend wears a hijab but doesn't dress modestly. What is the point, why are you wearing it then, it completely goes against the meaning of the hijab.
Take it off then lol, I’m Muslim and I believe all women should wear the hijab, but at the end of the day it’s your life, god gave you a choice, so take the choice already instead of coming to a social media site full of non Muslims who would be glad to make your decision feel justified
Original post by Oneiropólos
Take it off then lol, I’m Muslim and I believe all women should wear the hijab, but at the end of the day it’s your life, god gave you a choice, so take the choice already instead of coming to a social media site full of non Muslims who would be glad to make your decision feel justified

woah no you got it wrong, i'm happy with wearing the hijab (it was my own decision) i'm just unhappy with how its value doesn't seem to faze on fellow muslims who do wear it.
Original post by Sainsburysbasics
A Hijab is merely a piece of material on your head but it DOES NOT instantly mean you're a good muslim. I don't wear the hijab and view myself as a good Muslim (don't drink, smoke etc). My bestfriend wears a hijab but doesn't dress modestly. What is the point, why are you wearing it then, it completely goes against the meaning of the hijab.

PREACH

that's why i think the hijab's been merely used for "fashion" purposes and therefore its actual symbolic meaning is lost
Original post by Sainsburysbasics

Original post by samiharifayat
yeah the word is just used so carelessly

Original post by Humble Ahm

You guys seem a little holier-than-thou. Is it for you to judge whether others are worshipping ''correctly''?

There are some members of society who take a rather dim and hostile view of Islam in general. British law protects you from their persecution via freedom of religion laws, and in general, we live in a society with a strong ethos of tolerance - and I am all for that. You should return the favour and allow others to worship in any way that the spirit leads them to. It is when we find ourselves tolerating the intolerant that the whole idea becomes difficult and debatable.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You guys seem a little holier-than-thou. Is it for you to judge whether others are worshipping ''correctly''?

There are some members of society who take a rather dim and hostile view of Islam in general. British law protects you from their persecution via freedom of religion laws, and in general, we live in a society with a strong ethos of tolerance - and I am all for that. You should return the favour and allow others to worship in any way that the spirit leads them to. It is when we find ourselves tolerating the intolerant that the whole idea becomes difficult and debatable.

yes I'm aware of that, but that really isn't relevant to my point. thanks for the input
woah no you got it wrong, i'm happy with wearing the hijab (it was my own decision) i'm just unhappy with how its value doesn't seem to faze on fellow muslims who do wear it.

Ah I understand, apologies, well if it helps I have quite a few cousins who choose not to wear it, it’s there choice, I won’t think of them any less nor any more, they’re family and it is there life, but in regards to your problem I do understand, in this day and age religion is losing its grip, because the more we seek freedom the more religion disagrees, my advice is to just live your life the way you want to, wear the hijab if you choose and try and get closer to God, I know it bothers you that others seem to deem it’s value useless but it’s your life, there feelings although might affect you, shouldn’t
Original post by Oneiropólos

But you’re here on this site too....

Anyway, Coming being a Non Muslim, I would say it’s your life. No one will judge for eating a hijab or anything. I say wear what you like.
Original post by Professional G
But you’re here on this site too....

Anyway, Coming being a Non Muslim, I would say it’s your life. No one will judge for eating a hijab or anything. I say wear what you like.

i have no problems with muslims who do not choose to wear a hijab, it's their life.

but this thread is directed at muslims who do wear the hijab but "mis-use" it.

I personally think that a girl who wears a hijab should take it off if the rest of her image doesn't align with what the hijab stands for.
i have no problems with muslims who do not choose to wear a hijab, it's their life.

but this thread is directed at muslims who do wear the hijab but "mis-use" it.

I personally think that a girl who wears a hijab should take it off if the rest of her image doesn't align with what the hijab stands for.

I think that’s the disconnect between the older and younger generation. I know many young myislms who aren’t as strict as their parents. That doesn’t mean they’re any less Muslim. They do wear make up and hang out with non Muslims but they still preserve their modesty too. They wear their hijabs cause they want to stay modest. Wearing make up doesn’t change that. People come here for a better life and that comes with more freedoms.
Reply 17
Well the according to the prophet hijab is for modesty and to hide her beauty from from those not permissable to look. Other than that it can be anything but hijab.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

That is not what I'm saying. There is nothing wrong with drinking, having BF, smoking etc. However, if a muslim woman is committing these deeds then why do you wear the hijab. It doesn't make sense. If you do these haram things and then putting on a hijab, they are portraying a false image of themselves that they are good muslims when they're not. That is why I believe that parents should not force religion on children. I would never go out of my way to tell a muslim woman if she's a good muslim or not, that is not my job but Allahs job.
Original post by Professional G
I think that’s the disconnect between the older and younger generation. I know many young myislms who aren’t as strict as their parents. That doesn’t mean they’re any less Muslim. They do wear make up and hang out with non Muslims but they still preserve their modesty too. They wear their hijabs cause they want to stay modest. Wearing make up doesn’t change that. People come here for a better life and that comes with more freedoms.

If you wear a hijab and makeup, that is fine. However, what is your intension for wearing makeup? That is the question. If you want to impress guys, then yes that is a sin but If it's for yourself then that's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending