The Student Room Group

Failed my past two theory tests by 2 and 1 marks respectively, any tips for tomorrow?

So I've done two theory tests so far and got 41/50 for MC and 44/75 for HP, and then my second one I got 42/50 for MC and 53/75 for HP... Is it just the case of "third times the charm" since I really don't want to have to pay another £23 and I generally don't have time since I'm in my second year of college, and have Uni next year. I was just wondering what people could recommend for tomorrow? The marks I got wrong last time were:
Alertness: 1
Safety and Your Vehicle: 2
Rules of the Road: 1
Road and Traffic Signs: 2
Documents: 1
Vehicle/Motoring Loading: 1

I'm just hoping there aren't too many questions which are completely random and/or numbers based, since I don't do well under exam conditions/stress... I've got the DVLA Theory Test app though I've been doing maybe a mock twice a week since I just don't have time and occasionally forget to revise. Does anyone have any tips for the night before/22 hours before a theory test? Thanks in advance!
Original post by DanF2OOO
So I've done two theory tests so far and got 41/50 for MC and 44/75 for HP, and then my second one I got 42/50 for MC and 53/75 for HP... Is it just the case of "third times the charm" since I really don't want to have to pay another £23 and I generally don't have time since I'm in my second year of college, and have Uni next year. I was just wondering what people could recommend for tomorrow? The marks I got wrong last time were:
Alertness: 1
Safety and Your Vehicle: 2
Rules of the Road: 1
Road and Traffic Signs: 2
Documents: 1
Vehicle/Motoring Loading: 1

I'm just hoping there aren't too many questions which are completely random and/or numbers based, since I don't do well under exam conditions/stress... I've got the DVLA Theory Test app though I've been doing maybe a mock twice a week since I just don't have time and occasionally forget to revise. Does anyone have any tips for the night before/22 hours before a theory test? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you just need to cram.

I have an awful memory so I made sure two weeks leading up to my theory I was practising the questions and also rereading the introduction for each section. For HP, I looked for other clips online.

I got 50/50 and 67/75.

You're not going into the exam blindfolded so remember that and you have an hr for each question so just take your time. Make sure you reread th questions and the answers for every single question. I did this and I remember changing a few before clicking "next". It's all about taking your time and remember to keep breathing!
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Sounds like you just need to cram.

I have an awful memory so I made sure two weeks leading up to my theory I was practising the questions and also rereading the introduction for each section. For HP, I looked for other clips online.

I got 50/50 and 67/75.

You're not going into the exam blindfolded so remember that and you have an hr for each question so just take your time. Make sure you reread th questions and the answers for every single question. I did this and I remember changing a few before clicking "next". It's all about taking your time and remember to keep breathing!

Thank you! I'm just very worried there'll be some questions I have no idea about, or something like "what is the stopping distance at ?? mph" or "what colour is the flashing beacon on this vehicle?"
Done it and got 1 off AGAIN!! That makes 2 marks off first time and 1 mark off the 2nd and 3rd time... Put in £82 so far (late for one since the bus was 40 minutes late)
I know we should be supportive and encouraging...

BUT

if you can't be bothered to learn and/or remember the basic laws and theory related to driving ("...I just don't have time and occasionally forget to revise"), which is the absolute basics that every driver needs to know, then you really shouldn't be anywhere near a road. Put in the time, learn the material, then ace the test next time. Don't expect to sail through if you won't do the work.
Reply 5
Original post by DanF2OOO
Thank you! I'm just very worried there'll be some questions I have no idea about, or something like "what is the stopping distance at ?? mph" or "what colour is the flashing beacon on this vehicle?"

Stopping distances has a formula, so it should be easy. Starting from 20mph, multiply your speed by 2. For every 10mph over 20, add 0.5 to the multipler. So 30 is times by 2.5, and 40 is times by 3. It's not exact, but it'll give you the closest approximation and since it's a multiple choice, just pick the nearest one to your calculation.

20mph x 2 = 40 feet
30 mph x 2.5 = 75 feet
40 mph x 3 = 120 feet
50 mph x 3.5 = 175 feet
60 mph x 4 = 240 feet
70 mph x 4.5 = 315 feet

Also, spend £5 and download the official DVLA theory app, and go through every single section with the questions. Do as many of their mock tests as possible. Even if you don't know the reasoning, you'll start to remember the questions and what is the correct answer.
I advise to download the ‘4 in 1 theory app’ it’s available for IOS devices and literally just attempt every question. The more you do, the more you will remember.
Original post by DanF_2000
Done it and got 1 off AGAIN!! That makes 2 marks off first time and 1 mark off the 2nd and 3rd time... Put in £82 so far (late for one since the bus was 40 minutes late)

Oh dear that is annoying! But that's alright.

I think it would be wise to dedicate your time and not excuse laziness as a reason to why you haven't revised. I do understand because there were many times when I just cba and a few days with minimal revision, but there's a difference between that and no revision. Get the official DVSA app. They have a quick fire round of 10 random questions per section and I just sometimes did that towards my test rather than a full 50 question mock when I was in bed.

But at the end of the day, it's not about revising the questions, it's about revising what you read. I read the Highway Code before revising and then I read the introductions to each sections on the DVSA app too. Once I knew all, if not most, I was getting most questions right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending