The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Troll.

I thought you were a crazy libertarian, but then you mentioned asylum seekers and I realised you were just a racist :-)
Original post by amijsdihc
I subcribe to private insurance because the NHS is **** and the times when I was in desperate need of medical care, I faced VERY long waiting lists and if I had left it up to the NHS I'd be dead right now. 52% of British population don't pay taxes, it's a joke! The government is so corrupt they pay a billion pounds a week IN INTEREST for international loans and all they do is fleece the middle class for being above instead of under. Obese people are the reason why fat taxes (ie just another tax) are being proposed and the quality of care unless you are an asylum seeker is abysmal. Those who contribute do not get priority and we are even taxed on private insurance! The NHS is a disaster and should be dissolved.

Is private health insurance expensive?
I subcribe to private insurance because the NHS is **** and the times when I was in desperate need of medical care, I faced VERY long waiting lists and if I had left it up to the NHS I'd be dead right now. 52% of British population don't pay taxes, it's a joke! The government is so corrupt they pay a billion pounds a week IN INTEREST for international loans and all they do is fleece the middle class for being above instead of under. Obese people are the reason why fat taxes (ie just another tax) are being proposed and the quality of care unless you are an asylum seeker is abysmal. Those who contribute do not get priority and we are even taxed on private insurance! The NHS is a disaster and should be dissolved.

The reason you faced a long wait is because the service is underfunded. It needs more money.
Original post by Seamus123
Is private health insurance expensive?

Depends on your coverage and medical history (therfore liability to the insurers)
Actually no I am a British citizen and I became that the legal way by spending a lot of money and I originate from a different continent. In fact I can't live in many countries because my skin isn't white.
Anyway, seeing as you apparently lack the depth to stick to a point, let me refresh your memory. The NHS is funded by British people for British people so why do asylum seekers, especially illegals, recieve access to our medical care, and jump the queues over the people who do? Not everyone only sees the communist way forward.

Do asylum seekers not get jobs and pay tax as well?

Genuine question, I was unaware of this.
Original post by BornBlue1
The reason you faced a long wait is because the service is underfunded. It needs more money.

No it doesn't. The NHS is a vicious cycle and is going from bad to worse and is dragging those who were fortunate to earn some money down with it. It now exists purely out of spite from those who weren't planning ahead.
Reply 7
Original post by BornBlue1

What's the solution then? Cause I already pay a stupid amount of tax and it's absolutely ridiculous
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jackudy3
Do asylum seekers not get jobs and pay tax as well?

Genuine question, I was unaware of this

The vast majority do not and those who do earn far little to contribute to the system.
No it doesn't. The NHS is a vicious cycle and is going from bad to worse and is dragging those who were fortunate to earn some money down with it. It now exists purely out of spite from those who weren't planning ahead.

Nah mate, you clearly have no understanding of how the NHS works. It actually costs us WAY less in taxes than most Americans have to spend every year on private health insurance.

The problem with the NHS is that it doesn't get given enough money - we should all be paying far more in taxes to support it, as it's the thing that makes Britain great.

The NHS is the single thing that makes me most proud to be British.
Depends on your coverage and medical history (therfore liability to the insurers)

I’ve read on another thread that you said you were in Year 11 last year and wondered how you could afford it.
My son-in-law has private health insurance paid for by his employer, but he still has to pay taxes which fund the NHS.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Nah mate, you clearly have no understanding of how the NHS works. It actually costs us WAY less in taxes than most Americans have to spend every year on private health insurance.

The problem with the NHS is that it doesn't get given enough money - we should all be paying far more in taxes to support it, as it's the thing that makes Britain great.

The NHS is the single thing that makes me most proud to be British.

You clearly don't understand the NHS system. And by the way are you considered by the government to be a high earner?
Actually no I am a British citizen and I became that the legal way by spending a lot of money and I originate from a different continent. In fact I can't live in many countries because my skin isn't white.
Anyway, seeing as you apparently lack the depth to stick to a point, let me refresh your memory. The NHS is funded by British people for British people so why do asylum seekers, especially illegals, recieve access to our medical care, and jump the queues over the people who do? Not everyone only sees the communist way forward.

Eh? You clearly read a lot of factually incorrect, far right news sources. This needs a big fact check:

1) Asylum seekers are not "illegal" - the standards for being an asylum seeker are quite literally laid out in international law.
2) The NHS is not funded 'by British people for British people' - people who aren't British but live and work in the UK also pay taxes that go to the NHS and have the right to use it. So, it is funded by people who live in the UK, for people who live in the UK, and that includes asylum seekers for however long they are here.
3) And asylum seekers definitely do not jump the queues; they are treated exactly the same as everyone else.
(edited 5 years ago)
You clearly don't understand the NHS system. And by the way are you considered by the government to be a high earner?

Nope, I'm a student. I'm not earning anything at the moment. (The clue is in the name - this is "The student" room)

Troll.
(edited 5 years ago)

And I most definitely do understand the NHS system. I have been using it my entire life, ever since I was born in an NHS hospital.

My mother is a GP who has worked for the NHS for over three decades, and I spent a lot of time this summer working at her GP surgery. How much time have you or your family spent working for the NHS?
Reply 16
It's more frustrating that the NHS have contracts with suppliers where they get completely ripped off.

It's the same with schools, where they might get charged £1000 for a £400 laptop or something for staff members.
Original post by xDron3
What's the solution then? Cause I already pay a stupid amount of tax and it's absolutely ridiculous

How much tax do you pay?

Perhaps if we went after huge corporations for the tax they owed, rather than reusing their tax, ordinary people wouldn't have to pay so much...
Eh? You clearly read a lot of factually incorrect, far right news sources. This needs a big fact check:

1) Asylum seekers are not "illegal" - the standards for being an asylum seeker are quite literally laid out in international law.
2) The NHS is not founded 'by British people for British people' - people who aren't British but live and work in the UK also pay taxes that go to the NHS and have the right to use it. So, it is funded by people who live in the UK, for people who live in the UK, and that includes asylum seekers for however long they are here.
3) And asylum seekers definitely do not jump the queues; they are treated exactly the same as everyone else.

The NHS was founded by Aneurin Bevan to provide poorer parts of the British population with decent (at the time) healthcare. And I said 'especially illegal' - some are legal but many walk out of our end of the Eurotunnel and 'claim asylum' despite being illegal. I have actually seen the NHS from an insider's point of view and it is different to what you think.
I notice you tactfully avoided my comment about your salary. This leads me to come to the conclusion that you are a low earner who gloats about taking from those who aren't and wants to take more.
And I most definitely do understand the NHS system. I have been using it my entire life, ever since I was born in an NHS hospital.

My mother is a GP who has worked for the NHS for over three decades, and I spent a lot of time this summer working at her GP surgery. How much time have you or your family spent working for the NHS?

Over 43 years actually. And again, picking your favorite part of the conversation and ignoring the rest that is to your dislike.

Latest

Trending

Trending