The Student Room Group

Russell Group Requirements

Hi, I really would like to go to a Russell Group University. My sister thinks I would be able to but I think she's dreaming too big.
In my GCSEs I got 2A*'s (History & Religious Studies), 2A's (Chemistry and English Lit) and 6B's. I went to a poor-achieving school so my gcse results are considered amazing compared to other students in my school.
I'm currently studying 4 A Levels: Economics, Geography, History and Politics (I plan to study Law at University) at a much better school so I think I will be able to do a lot better. We don't have our predicted grades yet because i've only been in the school for just over a month

But what do you guys think, am I a good Russell Group University candidate? Tell me that hard truth lol
Reply 1
Original post by zipporahtho
Hi, I really would like to go to a Russell Group University. My sister thinks I would be able to but I think she's dreaming too big.
In my GCSEs I got 2A*'s (History & Religious Studies), 2A's (Chemistry and English Lit) and 6B's. I went to a poor-achieving school so my gcse results are considered amazing compared to other students in my school.
I'm currently studying 4 A Levels: Economics, Geography, History and Politics (I plan to study Law at University) at a much better school so I think I will be able to do a lot better. We don't have our predicted grades yet because i've only been in the school for just over a month

But what do you guys think, am I a good Russell Group University candidate? Tell me that hard truth lol

Your fine, just try and get those Bs and As and A*s at a level
Without predicted grades I don't think anyone here can tell you. Your GCSE grades are fine. Most of the Russel Group universities require AAA at a level. Liverpool being a notable exception.
If you put the work in, have a decent personal statement and have good predicted grades I don't see why not

Listen, I got into a fairly decent RG, I don't have the best GCSEs at all, there's no A*s in my portfolio and I resat my A Levels - anything is possible but for Law you'll ideally be wanting to achieve ABB if you want to work in top law firms but honestly, universities are unpredictable, if they like you, they'll have you.
Original post by quirky editor
Without predicted grades I don't think anyone here can tell you. Your GCSE grades are fine. Most of the Russel Group universities require AAA at a level. Liverpool being a notable exception.

Most RGs say they want AAA. That's very different to them actually requiring AAA.
Original post by Notoriety
Most RGs say they want AAA. That's very different to them actually requiring AAA.

I can vouch for that, when contacting a certain university, they stated they wouldn't accept a specific qualification if I applied but needless to say they accepted it. A lot of courses will advertise a high level of grades but even they state that grades aren't everything, you may have A*AA but if they don't like your PS or you lack enthusiasm then they have every right to refuse you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rhythmical
I can vouch for that, when contacting a certain university, they stated they wouldn't accept a specific qualifiction if I applied but needless to say they accepted it. A lot of courses will advertise a high level of grades but even they state that grades aren't everything, you may have A*AA but if they don't like your PS or you lack enthuasim then they have every right to refuse you.

It is more that these unis cannot afford to be picky, or they would have 20% of the cohort they need to pay the staff. Hence grades are not really what they are after -- the lower entrants are not the exceptions but the norm. And they really can't be picky about what they see in PSs.
Reply 8
My Head of Year said i should start with 4 and then drop one if I want but i'm doing 4 right now and I'm doing fine and I feel like I can handle the work load. If i continue with 4, I'm doing to drop Economics at the end of Year 12 after AS exams.
Reply 9
Original post by Notoriety
It is more that these unis cannot afford to be picky, or they would have 20% of the cohort they need to pay the staff. Hence grades are not really what they are after -- the lower entrants are not the exceptions but the norm. And they really can't be picky about what they see in PSs.

Okay thanks, I'll obviously try to make an impressive personal statement then. But it's just hard to decide which universities to pick... i don't want to pick 3 universities and they all reject me :/
Okay thanks, I'll obviously try to make an impressive personal statement then. But it's just hard to decide which universities to pick... i don't want to pick 3 universities and they all reject me :/

I'd say look at your predictions and go from there. I got offers from one very decent university and one mid range and withdrew from one but got rejections from two mid ranges whereas everyone expected me to get rejected from the really good university. It's so unpredictable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending