The Student Room Group

The 'Welp, I tried' A-Level blog

Scroll to see replies

You're not on half term?! Oh no, that's so sad. Tbf though, at least you're a bit productive. I've literally done NOTHING.

English sounds a bit oof at the moment. Hope it gets better.

Have a great rest of the week! xx
Hi, Michael Portillo! :wavey:
At least you'll be on half-term soon! Keep going! :dumbells:
Good luck with that grammar test!! :rave:
@troubletracking Please tag me. :smile:
Original post by Serenity-M
@troubletracking Please tag me. :smile:

Certainly:h: Are you doing A-levels too?

Original post by nyxnko_
Hi, Michael Portillo! :wavey:
At least you'll be on half-term soon! Keep going! :dumbells:
Good luck with that grammar test!! :rave:

All I need now is a salmon blazer and a Bradshaw's guide:laugh:
I made it to half term arghh!!:woo:
Merci beaucoup mon ami:smile: Hope it went alright:s-smilie:

Original post by RazzzBerries
You're not on half term?! Oh no, that's so sad. Tbf though, at least you're a bit productive. I've literally done NOTHING.

English sounds a bit oof at the moment. Hope it gets better.

Have a great rest of the week! xx

On half term as of now! Ah, I wouldn't worry about it too much! I hope you had time to relax while you still can:smile:
Think I'm starting to get the hang of it now, what a rollercoaster it has been lmao:redface:
Thank you! You're back at school on Monday, right? Have a great week too! (sorry for the delay:colondollar:)
The last (and probably only??) time I checked a post of yours was during your GCSE one last year, but I recognised this one because of its witty writing style and relatable ranting ;o Oh how easier life was back then, though, haha.. *nervous laughter*

I’m also doing a language at A Level now (German, so I can’t relate to the specifics of your oui oui baguette the Louvre croissant Eiffel Tower issues, but I can understand your worries to a similar extent) as well as History, so that’s 2/3 subjects we have in common I guess. I’m on AQA for German too, so I just wanted to ask how far into the syllabus you are at the mo’? We stopped halfway through Unit 1 (the family one) to do cases (yikes) and other grammar bits (yikes x2) and so have only just got on to Unit 2 and I feel like we’re pretty behind??

Other than that you should totally add me to your mentions/tags/whatever you want to call them (:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by giothevanna11
The last (and probably only??) time I checked a post of yours was during your GCSE one last year, but I recognised this one because of its witty writing style and relatable ranting ;o Oh how easier life was back then, though, haha.. *nervous laughter*

I’m also doing a language at A Level now (German, so I can’t relate to the specifics of your oui oui baguette the Louvre croissant Eiffel Tower issues, but I can understand your worries to a similar extent) as well as History, so that’s 2/3 subjects we have in common I guess. I’m on AQA for German too, so I just wanted to ask how far into the syllabus you are at the mo’? We stopped halfway through Unit 1 (the family one) to do cases (yikes) and other grammar bits (yikes x2) and so have only just got on to Unit 2 and I feel like we’re pretty behind??

Other than that you should totally add me to your mentions/tags/whatever you want to call them (:

geez thank you for the compliment! would probably change 'relatable ranting' to 'pointless rambling' but :dontknow:
lmao throwback to those old science lessons when all we did was secretly eat hoola hoops and throw pens at each other:wink:
ugh don't know much german lingo apart from jajaja frankfurter danke mutter bier but here's to being language buddies
Ooh what units do you do for history?
Honestly don't even know how the French exams are structured:s-smilie: we've done family, friendship and I think we've just finished citizenship, but we're mainly doing grammar work atm so I think we're roughly at the same point..?

Certainly! Personally just call it 'meg's group of masochists' but whatever floats your boat yano:biggrin:
Friday, 26th October 2018
Today's timetable: French (P1), English (P2), History (P6)
Post length: pretty damn chill I'd say (by all means up for debate)

Lmao today I was supposed to get up at 6am, but I got up at 6:54am, so I missed the 7:10 bus and got the train. I've literally gotten the train six times this week. Ugh, we love a TransPennine Express queen. Also, the barriers at my station weren't working so I was way too buzzed about getting to keep my ticket.

Anyway, got in about half an hour before period one because the train journey is only nine minutes long, so I did some more English preparation. We had an essay today that I'll get into more detail in a sec, but I went to bed at a stupid last night because I wanted to finish my draft essay before I went to sleep.
Anyway, first period was French, and we lowkey thought we'd get our grammar tests back because no one marks sheets like my teacher, but apparently not. I was expecting the test to be vocab-style where she stands at the front and goes 'We chose' and 'I used to go', but somehow she'd rustled up a four-part grammar test including a cheeky translation at the back (in which I realised I don't know how to say 'toast' in French so I just put pain grillé). So, yeah, it was inTENSE. Today's lesson we went over the imperfect again and I'm still not sure when to use it as opposed to the perfect tense, but I'm going to try and figure it out this week. We also got letters about doing a French exchange and I'm actually lowkey considering it, which is weird because normally any opportunity that's even slightly worrying gets an immediate no from me, but I'm trying to push myself out of my comfort zone this year, and this deffo ticks the box. I'm still not sure, though, so I'm going to think about it this week and see whether I'm still digging it, because I seem to have developed a habit of spontaneously signing up to things I don't want to do:redface:

After French, was English, where this essay was waiting for us. The thing that makes it really difficult for me is that there's very little, if any, language analysis needed, which I would say is usually my strong point, or at least the part I enjoy most. The whole thing is basically context with a few critics quotes thrown in, and I ran out of time (to all the essays I've never finished before) and half of my points just seemed like slight variations of each other, so yeah, don't think that one was my best but hey ho. I tried.

Right now there's a Russian trip going on for history, so all history teachers apart from two are away in Moscow or whatever and, naturally, Richard isn't one of them, which meant all my friends had their history lessons cancelled while some of us had to plough it through until period six. There were only two of us to battle out the numerous free periods together, so we went into town because my friend needed to go to Argos and then we went for lunch and I had my first ever Subway:eek: Was pretty nice actually:lol:

When we got back we tackled the rather large stack of English homework (weirdly didn't get any French so I'm really suspicious), which was basically to do all the stuff we haven't covered yet, which was basically what I was gonna do anyway. I think English has been my biggest wake-up call to a-level, because we're taught the bare minimum and we don't have much of a choice but to go away and fill in any gaps, which isn't something I really experience with history and French. I started proper annotating A Doll's House from start to finish, and I only got eight pages in, but I don't mind because I really love annotating anyway, though I'm still not sure if what I'm annotating will actually be useful because I won't be needing language analysis which is blagging my head omg just give me Shakespeare at least I can go hammer on attributive adjectives.

Three free periods later, I had history where we're on topic six (seven??idek) which is all about Labour and today's lesson was pretty economic-sy, which was half hell and half human geography flashbacks (ugh thinking of geog acc makes me emo). We did get homework, but not a load, which is nice, because I'm going away to Cornwall this week (I don't go south very often but when I do I go s o u t h). I still haven't packed yet nor tidied my bedroom so lmao wish me luck kids.

Hope y'all have a great week back at school if you've already had your holiday, or if you've stuck it out another week like myself, let yourself relax fam we can't be working 24/7 can we:wink:

Pour souls who have committed to being tagged:
(if you're also slightly masochistic, lemme know if you wanna be tagged- or removed, for that matter)

Spoiler

Original post by troubletracking
geez thank you for the compliment! would probably change 'relatable ranting' to 'pointless rambling' but :dontknow:
lmao throwback to those old science lessons when all we did was secretly eat hoola hoops and throw pens at each other:wink:
ugh don't know much german lingo apart from jajaja frankfurter danke mutter bier but here's to being language buddies
Ooh what units do you do for history?
Honestly don't even know how the French exams are structured:s-smilie: we've done family, friendship and I think we've just finished citizenship, but we're mainly doing grammar work atm so I think we're roughly at the same point..?

Certainly! Personally just call it 'meg's group of masochists' but whatever floats your boat yano:biggrin:

My exam board for History is Edexcel so the content will probably be slightly different to the AQA equivalent, but my topic titles are:

- Britain transformed, 1918–97
- The USA, 1955–92: conformity and challenge
- The witch craze in Britain, Europe and North America, c1580–c1750
- ..and something about Russia for coursework (though since I had to find these titles on our spec, and there are multiple Russia ones, I'm not exactly sure what about Russia we'll be doing)

And fair enough, sounds like a slightly unappealing group name but here I am still willing to be a part of it :confused:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by giothevanna11
My exam board for History is Edexcel so the content will probably be slightly different to the AQA equivalent, but my topic titles are:

- Britain transformed, 1918–97
- The USA, 1955–92: conformity and challenge
- The witch craze in Britain, Europe and North America, c1580–c1750
- ..and something about Russia for coursework (though since I had to find these titles on our spec, and there are multiple Russia ones, I'm not exactly sure what about Russia we'll be doing)

And fair enough, sounds like a slightly unappealing group name but here I am still willing to be a part of it :confused:

I mean I am on AQA but I do Britain 1906-1957, so maybe at least someone will get my Emmeline Pankhurst puns:redface:
Wow Edexcel do LOADS, and the witch craze sounds so interesting:yep: My second paper's on Russia so I guess they're not too different haha

Wow, dedication at it's finest, I'm truly honoured:biggrin:

On half term as of now! Ah, I wouldn't worry about it too much! I hope you had time to relax while you still can:smile:
Think I'm starting to get the hang of it now, what a rollercoaster it has been lmao:redface:
Thank you! You're back at school on Monday, right? Have a great week too! (sorry for the delay:colondollar:)

ENJOY HALF TERM WHILE IT LASTS! TRUST ME, IT FLIES :'( Thanksss x
Yay, you're getting there.
Yep Monday (kill me now). Thanks, I'll try! :biggrin:
i'm pretty sure that translation for toast sounds right? migt be pain du grille or du pain grille but idk:lol:
very glad to hear you enjoyed your first subway, here's to many more:woo::party:
ENJOY HALF TERM WHILE IT LASTS! TRUST ME, IT FLIES :'( Thanksss x
Yay, you're getting there.
Yep Monday (kill me now). Thanks, I'll try! :biggrin:

Here's my token of goodwill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6_K6pbBtLk

You got this!:biggrin: x
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i'm pretty sure that translation for toast sounds right? migt be pain du grille or du pain grille but idk:lol:
very glad to hear you enjoyed your first subway, here's to many more:woo::party:

Wow what really?? Hopefully I'll get a mark for effort there:biggrin:
Guess every other sandwich is pretty SUBpar now:redface:
Here's my token of goodwill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6_K6pbBtLk

You got this!:biggrin: x

OML I'M DYING XD

I got that GrImE tImE PrIme TimE!1!!

Thanks, i think I needed that motivation lol! x
OML I'M DYING XD

I got that GrImE tImE PrIme TimE!1!!

Thanks, i think I needed that motivation lol! x

YOU. ARE. MAGNIFICENT:rofl:

Lmao listened to that on the way to school of my maths paper 2 exam so i'm pretty sure it's a tried and tested successful method of revision:laugh:
YOU. ARE. MAGNIFICENT:rofl:

Lmao listened to that on the way to school of my maths paper 2 exam so i'm pretty sure it's a tried and tested successful method of revision:laugh:

Why not?! Imma print the link to that video and when my Year Head asks me what revision I've been doing over half term, IMMA PLONK THAT LINK ON HER DESK
Why not?! Imma print the link to that video and when my Year Head asks me what revision I've been doing over half term, IMMA PLONK THAT LINK ON HER DESK

PAHAHHAH lemme know how that one goes!
PAHAHHAH lemme know how that one goes!

Will do :wink:
After French, was English, where this essay was waiting for us. The thing that makes it really difficult for me is that there's very little, if any, language analysis needed, which I would say is usually my strong point, or at least the part I enjoy most. The whole thing is basically context with a few critics quotes thrown in, and I ran out of time (to all the essays I've never finished before) and half of my points just seemed like slight variations of each other, so yeah, don't think that one was my best but hey ho. I tried.

Yo, I had the same **** with Hamlet! PHUCK that **** fam! I was so done after that dead essay. We now have to follow some dogshit acronym for our part a essays on the excerpt called CRANE (link to show you the absurdity of the style that out teacher demands for AO1):

https://imgur.com/a/KQqlIVO

I now have no qualms about jumping out of a window.

Right now there's a Russian trip going on for history, so all history teachers apart from two are away in Moscow or whatever and, naturally, Richard isn't one of them, which meant all my friends had their history lessons cancelled while some of us had to plough it through until period six. There were only two of us to battle out the numerous free periods together, so we went into town because my friend needed to go to Argos and then we went for lunch and I had my first ever Subway:eek: Was pretty nice actually:lol:

Oh my god! Why didn't you go there? I would have loved to visit Russia!

When we got back we tackled the rather large stack of English homework (weirdly didn't get any French so I'm really suspicious), which was basically to do all the stuff we haven't covered yet, which was basically what I was gonna do anyway. I think English has been my biggest wake-up call to a-level, because we're taught the bare minimum and we don't have much of a choice but to go away and fill in any gaps, which isn't something I really experience with history and French. I started proper annotating A Doll's House from start to finish, and I only got eight pages in, but I don't mind because I really love annotating anyway, though I'm still not sure if what I'm annotating will actually be useful because I won't be needing language analysis which is blagging my head omg just give me Shakespeare at least I can go hammer on attributive adjectives.

Oh wow, you actually call them by their proper name. I just call them adjectives lmao (always did in my essays, regardless of whether there were predicative or attributive), but then again most of my essays in GCSE were moist relative to A-level standard.

Hope y'all have a great week back at school if you've already had your holiday, or if you've stuck it out another week like myself, let yourself relax fam we can't be working 24/7 can we:wink:

Yo! Enjoy the holiday! Mine's nearly up, but hopefully you're able to leverage your free time and relax. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Wow what really?? Hopefully I'll get a mark for effort there:biggrin:
Guess every other sandwich is pretty SUBpar now:redface:

no meg, no more puns:lol::cry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending