The Student Room Group

Chazza's Guide to Boondoggling

Scroll to see replies

27/10/18
this week has been ok…
i was planning on getting two hours of each subject done over the course of this week (monday to sunday). so far i've done just over an hour of each subject, and i'm surprisingly unfussed (dunno if that's a word, spellcheck would argue it isn't) about not reaching my goal. i went to the cinema twice, did some work for a lady in the village and generally been quite busy i think. i did forget about a french writing test first day (i think) back so that's not gonna go well but i don't think i care too much about french anymore. i kinda do but if i say i don't then i might end up not caring about it :biggrin:
anyone have any tips on how to get past writer's block for the briefed music composition? i'm kinda stuck after about 30 bars.
how's everyone else's holidays been?

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
glad you had a good break :yes:
mine's been decent and very unproductive as well :colondollar:
Original post by Charlie Hitchins
27/10/18
this week has been ok…
i was planning on getting two hours of each subject done over the course of this week (monday to sunday). so far i've done just over an hour of each subject, and i'm surprisingly unfussed (dunno if that's a word, spellcheck would argue it isn't) about not reaching my goal. i went to the cinema twice, did some work for a lady in the village and generally been quite busy i think. i did forget about a french writing test first day (i think) back so that's not gonna go well but i don't think i care too much about french anymore. i kinda do but if i say i don't then i might end up not caring about it :biggrin:
anyone have any tips on how to get past writer's block for the briefed music composition? i'm kinda stuck after about 30 bars.

Spoiler

27/10/18
this week has been ok…

Spoiler

As for writer's block I can't fully tell you how to get past it because I haven't really and I am doing free composition. I am using Sibelius to compose and I get really stuck some times. I try to go into a practice room and play spontaneously with the chords and see if a melody sticks in my head and fits well. If I really can't do it in lesson I will go home and try and write a melody at my own pace. I suppose the brief will be different to this though so sorry it isn't more helpful.

Good luck for after the holidays. I can't say much about mine as they have just started.
Original post by CeciltheLlama
As for writer's block I can't fully tell you how to get past it because I haven't really and I am doing free composition. I am using Sibelius to compose and I get really stuck some times. I try to go into a practice room and play spontaneously with the chords and see if a melody sticks in my head and fits well. If I really can't do it in lesson I will go home and try and write a melody at my own pace. I suppose the brief will be different to this though so sorry it isn't more helpful.

Good luck for after the holidays. I can't say much about mine as they have just started.

no that's helpful! i was wondering about starting to use Sibelius, i've used paper, pen and a bit of MuseScore so far, just for ease really but it would mean having to learn everything.
hope your holidays go well :smile:
no that's helpful! i was wondering about starting to use Sibelius, i've used paper, pen and a bit of MuseScore so far, just for ease really but it would mean having to learn everything.
hope your holidays go well :smile:

I use musescore at home but Sibelius at school just because they have it there. Once you get used to Sibelius it is alright and a few of the controls are the same but it is a learning curve still. I think it is mostly the keyboard commands as some are different Like how on Sibelius when you click on a note and press space to play like you would with musescore, it goes back to where you last played it from and not from that note (you have to press p). I always do this wrong and it is irritating. It has also slowed me down because I can't input it into musescore and them import onto Sibelius because they use different file systems. So yeah I don't know any real solution yet. I can only write stuff down, email it and then input it later at school.

Thanks! I have got some revision planned so it should go well (fingers crossed).
Original post by CeciltheLlama
I use musescore at home but Sibelius at school just because they have it there. Once you get used to Sibelius it is alright and a few of the controls are the same but it is a learning curve still. I think it is mostly the keyboard commands as some are different Like how on Sibelius when you click on a note and press space to play like you would with musescore, it goes back to where you last played it from and not from that note (you have to press p). I always do this wrong and it is irritating. It has also slowed me down because I can't input it into musescore and them import onto Sibelius because they use different file systems. So yeah I don't know any real solution yet. I can only write stuff down, email it and then input it later at school.

Thanks! I have got some revision planned so it should go well (fingers crossed).

i may have made this up, but if you save the file as an MusicXML file then i think it starts up in both programmes.
I'll try it. Thanks 👍
for briefed compositions just think if you want it to go lower or higher in pitch, if you want a sequence, if you want short notes or longer notes etc. So breaking it down a bit simpler so that you can decide what your want :smile:
03/11/18
november already… kinda scary
sorry for lack of posts: there's been a lack of motivation and commitment this week :colone:

i don't know why but all this week i just haven't had the energy to do stuff. all i did, until today, was some biology that i missed for a flute lesson on monday. today i've caught up on all my homework (a lot of it due for last week but nvm) and that's it really. i've had a lot of energy which is weird cos i didn't a massive amount of sleep.
anyways, i've got a party tonight so i'm almost 100% sure there won't be any work done tomorrow cos it's a sleepover.

how does everyone manage to stay dedicated all the time? need some tips!

Spoiler

Well done for catching up with your biology and doing homework!
hello, may i be tagged?:h:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
hello, may i be tagged?:h:

yeah, sure! do you have a gyg too?
well done for catching up on work! :woo:
honestly, i think most people find it hard to stay dedicated (unless you're like a robot :giggle:), but for me, i find that having set time where you're supposed to work (e.g. 9am - 9pm on weekends) and times when you're supposed to not do work (9pm onwards) just helps because you know that you won't get it done otherwise :yes:
(side note: those are guidelines and i don't stick to them all the time, e.g. you will probably still find me working at 10pm if I've got a major test the next day :dontknow:)
hope that helps :wink:
yeah, sure! do you have a gyg too?

yeah, it's here. would you like me to add you to the tag list?:h:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
yeah, it's here. would you like me to add you to the tag list?:h:

thanks! and yes please!
06/11/18
i'm weirdly tired at the moment but i dunno why… anyways.
half the year was on a geography trip today so very quiet. i'm going tomorrow and I'm going to count cars, count bikes and talk to strangers… fun!
i've got the second controlled assessment for food tech today and I'm going to do the one for pescartarians. i'm not too worried about food because i quite enjoy it and i don't have a mock this term cos we're just focussing on coursework.

in form time i occasionally write quotes on the white board so todays quote is: a perfect metaphor for my life is trying to stand up in a hammock.

who can relate?

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
haha that quote is great!
i've never heard of anyone do foot tech gcse, what's it like?
human geography trips are so boring:lol: but they're definitely the easier side of geography imo:yes:
that's a fab quote, sums up my life perfectly:toofunny:
that quote really sums up my life.. :s-smilie:
Original post by mez_merising
haha that quote is great!
i've never heard of anyone do foot tech gcse, what's it like?

it's not bad. most people take it as a dos subject so the classes aren't very bright but i quite enjoy cooking and I'm interested in food n stuff so its good. there's a lot more theory than people think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending