The Student Room Group

GCSE Spanish - Is it too late?

Hi. Currently, I do not do GCSE Spanish. I am however doing both GCSE French and German (AQA). I already have a well established knowledge on Spanish and believe I am in a position where I could be able to do it as a GCSE.

My concern is I don't know whether it's too late for my school to enter me into the GCSE? I've tried looking only but I can't find any set date requirements as to when I must be entered to sit the exams.

Thank you and any response/suggestion is greatly appreciated!
Original post by bwezijl4
Hi. Currently, I do not do GCSE Spanish. I am however doing both GCSE French and German (AQA). I already have a well established knowledge on Spanish and believe I am in a position where I could be able to do it as a GCSE.

My concern is I don't know whether it's too late for my school to enter me into the GCSE? I've tried looking only but I can't find any set date requirements as to when I must be entered to sit the exams.

Compost (exam officer) has stated you can be entered right till the final days. the only difference is you end up paying penalty fees..
You dont mention when you intend to sit.

You need to make sure your school is willing to enter you and sit there.
That they will conduct the listening and oral tests for you. Presumably if they teach Spanish then it wont be a problem
I believe the first phase for GCSE process depends on when the exam is sat but if you have been registered by the first two weeks in Jan of next year you should be fine otherwise you will be paying extra. Its about £40-50 for a GCSE. This is all based on your school agreeing to let you sit there and conduct the listening and oral exams as well.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Compost (exam officer) has stated you can be entered right till the final days. the only difference is you end up paying penalty fees..
You dont mention when you intend to sit.

You need to make sure your school is willing to enter you and sit there.
That they will conduct the listening and oral tests for you. Presumably if they teach Spanish then it wont be a problem
I believe the first phase for GCSE process depends on when the exam is sat but if you have been registered by the first two weeks in Jan of next year you should be fine otherwise you will be paying extra. Its about £40-50 for a GCSE. This is all based on your school agreeing to let you sit there and conduct the listening and oral exams as well.

My school doesn't offer Spanish. Will that be a problem?

My Highschool offered Spanish, French and German, but we had people doing Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, etc. exams. One of the MFL teachers was quite the polyglot, though, so she conducted the Italian and Portuguese exams, but for the Dutch pupil, she needed an external assessor, which obviously brought a cost. She did sit the written exams at school, though.

You need someone to conduct the speaking exams.
Ethan makes a good point and maybe one of the teachers is a Spanish speaker?

Tak to your school about it, usually most school enters students by the end of Decemeber so you still have time. If your school doesn't study spanish, they will still be able to apply and pay and get the papers but you may have to pay for the exam yourself as they might have to pay someone to come in and do the speaking etc.
Reply 6
Yep... Spain lost it when we sank the Armada. Did you know one third of the forests of the previously fertile Spain were cut down to build it? Creating the dustbowl it is today!

Quick Reply

Latest