The Student Room Group

Are my GCSES grade above average or just normal?

Hi!

I got three 9's six 8's and three 7's. Would these grades be considered average or above average for example, oxbridge worthy?

Someone told me they weren't good enough for oxbridge.

They're roughly equal to 9 A*s and 3 A's

Scroll to see replies

Of course they're above average (seriously, if you're clever enough to get those grades you must be able to figure that out) and good enough for applying to Oxbridge.

They're no guarantee you'll get in - thousands of people with straight A*s at GCSE get rejected from Oxbridge every year - but if you want to give it a go you absolutely can.
Reply 2
Yep, the person who told you that they aren't good enough couldn't be more correct.

You need at least 15 9s to even think about studying at Oxbridge or else try another university. I got 22 A*s and I barely got in so good luck to you.
You can't solely depend on GCSE grade for any university entry! They usually focus more on your A-level predicted grades. GCSEs are their last concern
Original post by bcdvibcs
Hi!

I got three 9's six 8's and three 7's. Would these grades be considered average or above average for example, oxbridge worthy?

I don't believe that you have to ask whether 9 A* are 'average'. Humblebrag incoming, je crois....

GSCEs really aren't the be-all and end-all, particularly for Cambridge which doesn't really care much about them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi!

Clearly, your intelligence does not transcend academics if you cannot tell those GCSEs are above average. However, I feel you're not that dumb and have created this thread to brag to TSR about your GCSE grades. I may be wrong, however.

They're above average. Oxbridge idk, you're going against ppl with a string of 9s and the common sense to do research into grade averages using actual data.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ak4753
Clearly, your intelligence does not transcend academics if you cannot tell those GCSEs are above average. However, I feel you're not that dumb and have created this thread to brag to TSR about your GCSE grades. I may be wrong, however.

They're above average. Oxbridge idk, you're going against ppl with a string of 9s and the common sense to do research into grade averages using actual data.

No, I'm not bragging. I'm asking because like you said, 9s are higher than 8's, and I was wondering if Oxford and Cambridge would differentiate between those. I worked hard for my grades and I know people who did a lot better.
Reply 7
No, I'm not bragging. I'm asking because like you said, 9s are higher than 8's, and I was wondering if Oxford and Cambridge would differentiate between those. I worked hard for my grades and I know people who did a lot better.

Then you could've asked about Oxbridge without acting like you didn't know whether those grades were above average.

It depends on the year. If they get a lot of kids with straight 9s (they shouldn't btw, I hear grading's been tightened) then you might be in a situation. But it's not a guarantee at all. Focus on your Alevels.

Many universities (yes, this includes oxbridge) have stated that they won't differentiate between 8s and 9s (which makes sense because they probably looked at A* grades as an A* not a low/high A* before the 9-1 system came into place). Unless you want to do medicine, I don't see why you are so hesitant about applying to oxbridge. Many people get in with worse grades than you.
Reply 9
Original post by Ak4753
Then you could've asked about Oxbridge without acting like you didn't know whether those grades were above average.

It depends on the year. If they get a lot of kids with straight 9s (they shouldn't btw, I hear grading's been tightened) then you might be in a situation. But it's not a guarantee at all. Focus on your Alevels.

Being surrounded by people who got straight 9's and straight 8s and mostly 9s has made me unsure about my own grades. I'm not 'acting' like anything. I was simply curious.

I'm trying hard in my A levels and hopefully next year I will be applying to Oxford if I get the grades I want this year.
Above average, well done 👍🏾
How many of you are there?
Reply 12
Being surrounded by people who got straight 9's and straight 8s and mostly 9s has made me unsure about my own grades. I'm not 'acting' like anything. I was simply curious.

I'm trying hard in my A levels and hopefully next year I will be applying to Oxford if I get the grades I want this year.

Good. Try and apply to schools like LSE, Durham, ICL, UCL as well. Very good fallbacks if Oxbridge doesn't work out.
I’ve been told by teachers that you need 7-8 A*s to try for Oxbridge, so you should be fine. Well done :tongue:xx
Original post by Potamuss
Yep, the person who told you that they aren't good enough couldn't be more correct.

You need at least 15 9s to even think about studying at Oxbridge or else try another university. I got 22 A*s and I barely got in so good luck to you.

I knew a guy who got 18 A*s at GCSE and 6 A*s at A-level who couldn't even get into Oxford for Music!
Reply 15
Hi!

No, your a levels are far more important than gcses
It never hurts to give Oxbridge a try because there's 0% chance you'll get in if you don't even apply. Just make sure your other unis are within reach. No-one can give you an answer to this question this except the oxbridge admissions tutors who will review your ucas application once they have received all parts of your application (predicted grades, reference, personal statement, any submitted written work, aptitude test performance etc) when you apply next year. Just work hard this year and aim to get good predicted grades.
Below average for Oxford medicine. But obviously not preclusive to an application.

It would be approximately average for other subjects at Oxbridge. But people get in with far less.

Obviously amazing by any other scale, definitely top 1% of the country.
(edited 5 years ago)
In a Cambridge applicants thread, someone had posted a table of grades acquired at GCSEs and A-levels from successful offer holders, and some people have gotten in with 0A*s in GCSEs.

I'm not knowledgeable on this in anyway compared to Reality Check and Doonesbury, but I'm pretty sure if they look at your GCSEs which are mediocre, then at your A-level predictions which are great, they see you made a massive improvement and you have potential to succeed.
I know someone at Cambridge with B B C C C C at GCSE, also, I got 2x9 2x9 and 6x7 and I am being told to consider applying so I'm sure you stand a good chance

Quick Reply

Latest