The Student Room Group

Cambridge Natural Sciences 2019 Application

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Woolly_Owl
Thanks for the quick reply. Think I'm gonna try a few different resources. Heard Isaac Physics is really good for section 2.

Tbh the nsaa doesn't seem much more difficult than a level it's just being quick at the basics. Just being fluent in a level science and maths is basically all you need. The closest thing to nsaa section 1 is bmat section 2 but even then most of the questions in the bmat are far too easy to be in the nsaa.
Reply 41
Original post by Woolly_Owl
Thanks for the quick reply. Think I'm gonna try a few different resources. Heard Isaac Physics is really good for section 2.

does anyone know which level for the questions on isaac physics would be realistic to the style of questions in the paper?
Having done quite a bit of isaac physics over the past year I wouldn't say the questions prepare yout hugely well for the nsaa, but quite good for the interview. The reason is say this is because isaac physics is about solving problems that can take a bit of time to think about whereas nsaa is about short and snappy problems. Sure it'll improve your problem solving generally but you'd have to do it longer than the week up until the exam to have a noticeable increase in ability so your best bet is to do the actual nsaa papers.
Original post by feels bad man
Having done quite a bit of isaac physics over the past year I wouldn't say the questions prepare yout hugely well for the nsaa, but quite good for the interview. The reason is say this is because isaac physics is about solving problems that can take a bit of time to think about whereas nsaa is about short and snappy problems. Sure it'll improve your problem solving generally but you'd have to do it longer than the week up until the exam to have a noticeable increase in ability so your best bet is to do the actual nsaa papers.

Also from what I've heard from Cambridge themselves is that only a few hours of preparation is needed until any further prep won't help that much but you can decide whether you believe them.
Reply 44
Anyone applying for Clare Bio Nat Sci? :smile:
Hi everyone. I’m applying for physical natsci at Trinity. Revising for the NSAA next week! Does anyone know what kind of scores you need to be achieving to have a chance at getting in??
Reply 46
Original post by tomhaward
Hi everyone. I’m applying for physical natsci at Trinity. Revising for the NSAA next week! Does anyone know what kind of scores you need to be achieving to have a chance at getting in??

The scores are distributed a long a bell curve and graded from 1-10 or 1-9, can't remember which. I think most people will get something around 50%.
Reply 47

I have taken this document from another thread on NSAA pass rate
(https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4961698&page=3) Credits to whoever who's made this document!

This is unofficial so just use it as a reference
Reply 48

There's no pass mark. People with "poor" scores can get offers. It's just one part of their holistic assessment of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
@Doonesbury

Hey, I'm applying for Physical NatSci and I have a question about the NSAA - is each subsection for section 1 marked independently? I'm just wondering whether it'll be better for me to focus on Maths and Physics (1A and 1B) and get both of those subsections correct, rather than spending all my time equally between 1A, 1B, and 1E.
Reply 50
Original post by CH2O3
@Doonesbury

Hey, I'm applying for Physical NatSci and I have a question about the NSAA - is each subsection for section 1 marked independently? I'm just wondering whether it'll be better for me to focus on Maths and Physics (1A and 1B) and get both of those subsections correct, rather than spending all my time equally between 1A, 1B, and 1E.

Each subsection is marked independently. But 1E is just as important...
Original post by CH2O3
@Doonesbury

You shouldn't be so tight on time that you neglect a whole section. You'll probably end up about 3/4 of the way through your last section before time runs out.

If you don't know what to do to answer a question and you have thought about it for more than 5 seconds just skip it and either come back to it or if time runs out fill in some boxes at random I don't think you get penalised for incorrect answers
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Yamxx
I have taken this document from another thread on NSAA pass rate
(https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4961698&page=3) Credits to whoever who's made this document!

This is unofficial so just use it as a reference

Do you think this is accurate?
Reply 53
Original post by Kelly Japan
Do you think this is accurate?

It's from actual data provided by Cambridge via an FOI request. It's accurate.
Original post by Doonesbury
It's from actual data provided by Cambridge via an FOI request. It's accurate.

Thanks!
Is there a guideline for how to convert raw scores into the 1-9 point system that Cambridge use? I know it differs each year but are there grade boundaries publically available for the 2016 and 2017 sample papers?
Is there a guideline for how to convert raw scores into the 1-9 point system that Cambridge use? I know it differs each year but are there grade boundaries publically available for the 2016 and 2017 sample papers?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=698668&d=1509013485

This is for the 2016 paper.
The 2017 score conversion table is unavailable according to Cambridge Admissions Testing.
Hope that helps!
hi everyone, I was wondering what is the most 'strategic' choice for section 1 between biology and further m&p ?
because for biology 14 marks = 6.0 but for further m&p only 10 marks = 6.2
I'd be able to answer all maths questions and some but not all physics question.
Any advice?
Reply 58
Original post by HelloXXX
hi everyone, I was wondering what is the most 'strategic' choice for section 1 between biology and further m&p ?
because for biology 14 marks = 6.0 but for further m&p only 10 marks = 6.2
I'd be able to answer all maths questions and some but not all physics question.
Any advice?

The boundaries change every year. Pick the questions you can answer best...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
The boundaries change every year. Pick the questions you can answer best...

Posted from TSR Mobile

...and allocate your time in proportion to the marks available. Don't spend ages trying to craft one perfect answer - get through the questions!

Basic exam technique but it seems to catch students out who should know better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending