Jxssl New car Thread

Watch
Jxssl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax excluded)
£4000

Are you a new driver?
Yes

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
driving around Devon to school and shops etc

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
Enough for a baby suitcase(carry on size)

Specific tasks you will be doing?
Journey to school, possibly travelling across country to university later on

Any brands you would prefer?
Nope, no clue about cars!

Any brands you dislike?
Nope, see above!

What features in the car are important to you?
No leather if it can be helped. Heated seats would be nice but only if not a ridiculous price

What gearbox do you want?
Auto

Are aesthetics of the car important?
No

Special requirements?
nope

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jxssl)
What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax excluded)
£4000

Are you a new driver?
Yes

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
driving around Devon to school and shops etc

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
Enough for a baby suitcase(carry on size)

Specific tasks you will be doing?
Journey to school, possibly travelling across country to university later on

Any brands you would prefer?
Nope, no clue about cars!

Any brands you dislike?
Nope, see above!

What features in the car are important to you?
No leather if it can be helped. Heated seats would be nice but only if not a ridiculous price

What gearbox do you want?
Auto

Are aesthetics of the car important?
No

Special requirements?
nope

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...esearchad=Used

Check it out, it's auto and has heated seats and under 4k and insurance will be cheap for it
Jxssl
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheYearNiner)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...esearchad=Used

Check it out, it's auto and has heated seats and under 4k and insurance will be cheap for it
Thanks, but unfortunately it's diesel. It will be too expensive to run and is killing the planet
DieselGate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jxssl)
Thanks, but unfortunately it's diesel. It will be too expensive to run and is killing the planet
A diesel expensive to run? You'll get better MPG than a petrol my friend.

But in terms of insurance, a 2.0TDi at 17 is a no go.
DieselGate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jxssl)
Any car with an internal combustion engine is killing the planet. Regardless of diesel or petrol.
Jxssl
Rep:
?
(Original post by DieselGate)
Any car with an internal combustion engine is killing the planet. Regardless of diesel or petrol.
This is true but diesel is a lot worse than petrol.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jxssl)
(Original post by Jxssl)
This is true but diesel is a lot worse than petrol.
Eh? Petrol gives off more CO2 than Diesels. It also is more fuel efficient.... Do your research my friend.

(Original post by DieselGate)
But in terms of insurance, a 2.0TDi at 17 is a no go.
Not all the time. Insurance works in lots of weird ways, the only way to find out is to get a quote for yourself. Might be expensive for you, might be cheap for me.
Jxssl
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Eh? Petrol gives off more CO2 than Diesels. It also is more fuel efficient.... Do your research my friend.
My research online:
"when we consider non-CO2 emissions such as soot (or carbon black) and nitrogen oxide diesel is, litre for litre, 15–18 per cent worse for the climate than petrol."
"The study also shows that diesel cars emit significantly higher levels of other air pollutants, especially nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulates."
"whilst petrol and diesel engines nowadays produce roughly the same CO2 emissions, the total environmental cost is a lot higher for diesel."
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jxssl)
My research online:
"when we consider non-CO2 emissions such as soot (or carbon black) and nitrogen oxide diesel is, litre for litre, 15–18 per cent worse for the climate than petrol."
"The study also shows that diesel cars emit significantly higher levels of other air pollutants, especially nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulates."
"whilst petrol and diesel engines nowadays produce roughly the same CO2 emissions, the total environmental cost is a lot higher for diesel."
I could prove my point, but I'm not even going to bother replying properly to this rubbish.

If you don't want a car which has an engine, either get an electric car or walk.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd recommend a 1.2 Fiesta Zetec. You can get a decent second hand one for 4k. Good workhorse, cheapish to insure and the most popular car for a reason.

This being said, only you can choose the car you want. Go on Ebay, AutoTrader, Gumtree and look around for cars that look good, run data checks on them and make sure they look good. A long MOT is also preferable.
Jxssl
Rep:
?
(Original post by xDron3)
I'd recommend a 1.2 Fiesta Zetec. You can get a decent second hand one for 4k. Good workhorse, cheapish to insure and the most popular car for a reason.

This being said, only you can choose the car you want. Go on Ebay, AutoTrader, Gumtree and look around for cars that look good, run data checks on them and make sure they look good. A long MOT is also preferable.
Thank you, it’s just so overwhelming to look through all the websites and not knowing what I’m looking for
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jxssl)
Thank you, it’s just so overwhelming to look through all the websites and not knowing what I’m looking for
Understandable and I think most of us was the same, but your first car is a milestone and not something you should take lightly. To be brutally honest you should be getting registrations and running it past insurance comparison websites and basing it off that. Simply because your first car at 17 will cost around 2-3k in insurance alone and then go from there.
Jxssl
Rep:
?
Understandable and I think most of us was the same, but your first car is a milestone and not something you should take lightly. To be brutally honest you should be getting registrations and running it past insurance comparison websites and basing it off that. Simply because your first car at 17 will cost around 2-3k in insurance alone and then go from there.
That seems sensible, I'll look into that thanks. I'm not 17 yet so just getting ideas.
Jxssl
Rep:
?

Thanks. I'll look into the 1.2 Fiesta Zetec! the long MOT is a good shout
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
29.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.43%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads