The Student Room Group

Likely-hood of getting into university

Hi, it is my first time posting here.
Introduction
I moved from Italy to England in 2015, I knew very little English and I was thrown into year 10, In my opinion, I had very little time to adapt and learn the language. I struggled in making friends as I literally couldn't communicate with anyone, which led to depression and loneliness. With GCSE's coming up, I came to the realization that my likely-hood of passing at least 5 GCSE's was low. On top of that my year group was the first one to try out the new GCSE's grading system which was supposed to be harder than the previous ones.
However, somehow I managed to get 5GCSE'S including Maths and English at grade 5 the rest was D'S and 1 E in Media.

I was able to do Business, Finance and History AS in College( I took on history based on my grade C at GCSE)however I got a C in Business B in Finance and E in History (BCE)

Now in A2, I dropped History and I'm doing Italian fast track I'm also doing an AAT Accounting level 2 qualification in which I'm predicted Distinction. I'm predicted ABB in the A-levels, however, I'm still worried that Universities won't consider me because of my very poor GCSE'S and AS scores. I have applied to accounting and finance courses with BBC requirement university because I couldn't find any lower than that.

While living in Italy my main aim was to become a Financial Adviser, however now with what happened and my embarrassing verbal English(My accent literally gives me anxiety)I feel like my goal is now very unrealistic.

I was planning to apply for UCAS and see if MAYBE they accept me, get a degree in Accounting and Finance, get an entry-level office job and work my way up from there.

With all the context out of the way, my main questions are:
1-How likely am I into getting into an Accounting and Finance course at Oxford Brookes or Gloucestershire with my poor GCSE and AS grades? (Please be honest)
2- In case I get into a uni, I will probably do sandwich courses for work experience to put on the CV, how likely am I to get into internships at the big 4 or any company?(Taking into account I will probably get into a "bad uni" poor GCSE'S and AS

Thank you for reading.

Scroll to see replies

Can I just say your English is amazing? You’ve done so well to get those grades with only speaking English from y10.
I think you would have a good chance of getting an offer from those universities.
You can apply to five universities, so I guess you may as well apply to five. I really think you’ll be fine, but if you don’t get the offers you want you can always apply through clearing, or reapply next year. But I do think they will give you offers.
dont waste time and money on studying acc and finance instead do an AAT/ACCA apprenticeship. save money and time.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by JustonBibero
dont waste time and money on studying acc and finance instead do an AAT/ACCA apprenticeship. save money and time.

Hi, my main goal is to become a chartered financial adviser, I thought that a Bachelor's degree was the bare minimum to become one.
Original post by Riklum
Hi, my main goal is to become a chartered financial adviser, I thought that a Bachelor's degree was the bare minimum to become one.

You should get a degree, because if it turns out you don't even like accounting when it comes down to it, ie the job aspect (you would still have a degree that can help you work in almost any industry!) with an apprenticeship your extremely limited in scope of jobs you can do.

Now to your query,

of course you can get into Oxford brookes and Gloucestershire with ABB predictions.

However, why not aim for a higher up university that would give you some more brand name value in the competitive landscape of business....

Could i suggest Kent , Nottingham Trent, Royal Holloway, Reading University, University of Brighton.

Oxford Brookes and Gloucestershire really aren't known for being very good at anything.
Original post by Riklum

i have a number of concerns. Firstly will the universities accept Italian as they dont normally accept a native language other than English and Welsh. Secondly universities may wish Maths on your Cv. Finally the big 4 tend to look at a small group of top end universities for their interns. However you have nothing to lose by applying and as said have 5 choices so go ahead and see how you get on. Good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You should get a degree, because if it turns out you don't even like accounting when it comes down to it, ie the job aspect (you would still have a degree that can help you work in almost any industry!) with an apprenticeship your extremely limited in scope of jobs you can do.

Now to your query,

of course, you can get into Oxford Brookes and Gloucestershire with ABB predictions.

However, why not aim for a higher up university that would give you some more brand name value in the competitive landscape of business....

Could i suggest Kent , Nottingham Trent, Royal Holloway, Reading University, University of Brighton.

Oxford Brookes and Gloucestershire really aren't known for being very good at anything.

Hi, thank you for the reply.
The reason why I am applying to these Unis is that I can't see myself being accepted by higher up universities. I don't want to apply to high up unis and get declined by all of them, I might apply to 1 of those that you suggested in case a miracle happens
Reply 7
Original post by Riklum
Hi, thank you for the reply.
The reason why I am applying to these Unis is that I can't see myself being accepted by higher up universities. I don't want to apply to high up unis and get declined by all of them, I might apply to 1 of those that you suggested in case a miracle happens

I’ll write more shortly. Couple of questions:

- do you speak any other languages?
- any reason to be in a rush to go to university ( such as Brexit issues, wish to live away from your parents)
- which part of the country are you in?
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
I’ll write more shortly. Couple of questions:

- do you speak any other languages?
- any reason to be in a rush to go to university ( such as Brexit issues, wish to live away from your parents)
- which part of the country are you in?

Hi,
-I speak Italian, English and Twi.
-I think is mainly parents pressure, one of the reasons we moved was because of education, they've always wanted me to go to uni. In addition, I need a degree to achieve my goal.
-I live in south-west England, however, I don't mind travelling far away from home.
Reply 9
Original post by Riklum
Hi,
-I speak Italian, English and Twi.
-I think is mainly parents pressure, one of the reasons we moved was because of education, they've always wanted me to go to uni. In addition, I need a degree to achieve my goal.
-I live in south-west England, however, I don't mind travelling far away from home.

Thats cool. Twi is an amazing language to listen to. Ghana or Cote D'Ivoire?

Anyway to deal with your posts.

- You will have no problem getting a place at university. Even if everything goes terribly, which it won't, there are places which will take you with AAT level 3 which you could easily sit after your A levels. So no need to put undue pressure on yourself on that score.

- What is AS level finance? What do you study in it?

- its unfortunate that many (most?) universities state required grades far higher than are actually required to get into them. This is a bit unfortunate if you are not aware of it. You'll likely have a good set of options of places which would love to have you. I wouldnt rush into making decisions.

- I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'FInancial Advisor'. Its a description given to lots of jobs although it can also be a professional title. Anyway, there are loads of things in that sort of field you can look at. You've mentioned big 4 and internships. A lot of strong finance schemes have academic requirements you need to be aware of. You need to try you hardest to get BBB or equivalent at A level (so ABC, BBC for example). I would focus on A levels rather than the AAT course as this won't be counted for a lot of professional roles which look at A level scores. Check all the subject forums and look for advice on how to excel at your courses - I suspect certain revision guides will be recommended, and people will suggest doing past papers.

GCSEs are not likely to be of huge importance (you would state extenuating circumstances anyway). This may apply to both university applications and job applications. HOWEVER:

- some university courses and lots of job applications will look for grade B GSCE in either or both of English and Maths. This is worth considering.

For reasons I'll come to I expect your aspirations are not unrealistic. They will be far more likely to be acheivable if you get the A level grades, and there are some other things to look at. The A levels are the first priority.

Will note more shortly

Original post by Realitysreflexx

Now to your query,

of course you can get into Oxford brookes and Gloucestershire with ABB predictions.

Oxford Brookes is pretty well regarded in Accounting, as are the others you have noted. I think reading require A level maths though which is a hassle as it would be a good choice for the OP based on local employment.

It would be worth checking on the A+F undergrad board to see what the real grades people get in with are.
Original post by Riklum

id say is this a degree is probably the 2nd most expensive thing youll ever buy assuming u buy a house. dont just go 'get a degree' willy nilly. find alternative ways to get there without uni. perhaps you can get there via AAT etc im not sure myself but u should check it out before being knee deep in debt
Further to the points above, and to consider universities:

- would you qualify for contextual offers (generally based on the A level performance of your college and / or the postcode you live in.
- how are you funding university? Would you be living on a full student loan? Or less? Does the cost of living/ availability of part time work matter?
- would taking a year (or two) out before applying be a major problem for any reason?

I have a few thoughts I'll expand upon subject to the above.
Reply 12
Hi, thank you for all the help.
-I don't know what contextual offers are, I live in Swindon and my college has an average grading of C.

-I will take out a student loan. I already have £2,000 saved up from my part-time work over the years, Likely going to be £3,000 by next year for maintenance costs. I will look for any sort of paid work while I study. I'm not a big spender, I'm used to a minimum wage life.

-I wouldn't mind taking a year out for valid reasons, however
I would have to convince my parents.

-Regarding the "Financial Advisor" I was aiming to help people or firms achieve their financial goals and aspirations and manage their money.To become a self-employed charted financial advisor I need to pass several test after graduation.

-Sorry is not AS finance, it is the LIBF level 2 qualification, I'm now doing the level 3 Qualification
Original post by ajj2000
Further to the points above, and to consider universities:

- would you qualify for contextual offers (generally based on the A level performance of your college and / or the postcode you live in.
- how are you funding university? Would you be living on a full student loan? Or less? Does the cost of living/ availability of part time work matter?
- would taking a year (or two) out before applying be a major problem for any reason?

I have a few thoughts I'll expand upon subject to the above.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by JustonBibero
id say is this a degree is probably the 2nd most expensive thing youll ever buy assuming u buy a house. dont just go 'get a degree' willy nilly. find alternative ways to get there without uni. perhaps you can get there via AAT etc im not sure myself but u should check it out before being knee deep in debt

Hi, I don't want to become an Accountant, I wanted to pursue this course to have a lot of options in case i fail to achieve my main Goal. I know that Artificial Intelligence will probably take a lot of accounting jobs in the future, I'm trying to learn several computing languages such as Python for my CV. My main goal would be to become an adviser to big firms or a consultant in a bank. However, I'm not expecting to achieve all of this after my degree. The job market is getting more competitive each day, nowadays a lot of people have degrees or equivalent experience and skills. I'm really aiming for a job office as admin assistant after uni, save up, and start investing in real-estate(Where the skills learned from my accounting and finance degree will help)
I have just checked Swansea university and their accountancy, finance and business courses have offers in the region of ABB-BBB. They do not require Maths A level and require GCSE grade C or above. You meet their requirement and it is easy to get to from Swindon 2 hours by train or along the M4. You will likely receive an offer with your GCSE results especially as you have reasons for your grades. They also offer foundation year if they wont accept your Italian A level which I think will be your major issue.
i have checked entry requirements for Kent and Royal Holloway and both require grade 6 at GCSE Maths so you probably wont get in
Reply 16
Original post by swanseajack1
I have just checked Swansea university and their accountancy, finance and business courses have offers in the region of ABB-BBB. They do not require Maths A level and require GCSE grade C or above. You meet their requirement and it is easy to get to from Swindon 2 hours by train or along the M4. You will likely receive an offer with your GCSE results especially as you have reasons for your grades. They also offer foundation year if they wont accept your Italian A level which I think will be your major issue.

Hi, why would they have issues with my Italian A level?
Original post by Riklum
Hi, why would they have issues with my Italian A level?

They might do but so might every other university. If they do it is possible they might suggest a foundation year and that might happen everywhere. East Anglia is an excellent university requiring ABB and Aberystwyth BBB both requiring grade C GCSE Maths at grade C.Your best option would to apply and see what happens. Italian being your 3rd subject could cause a problem as you are a native speaker. If that is the case you try another A level in a year after your results or take a foundation year. You have 5 options so give it a try.
Other universities not too far from you that accept around your predicted grades and English and Maths at grade C are Aston in Birmingham, University of West of England in Bristol and Plymouth University in Plymouth. I think Swansea has an open day this Saturday if you would like to see what it is like.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by swanseajack1
They might do but so might every other university. If they do it is possible they might suggest a foundation year and that might happen everywhere. East Anglia is an excellent university requiring ABB and Aberystwyth BBB both requiring grade C GCSE Maths at grade C.Your best option would to apply and see what happens. Italian being your 3rd subject could cause a problem as you are a native speaker. If that is the case you try another A level in a year after your results or take a foundation year. You have 5 options so give it a try.

Don't want to sound stupid, but can't the same principle be said about A-level English? Even if I am a native Italian speaker, the exam is not a basic exam, I have to analyze novels and poems(Use terminology like oxymoron, tone, metaphors, simile), give my views etc.. of course is easier for me because I am Italian, however, the same thing should be said about English exams to English natives

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending