The Student Room Group

Will I be at a disadvantage for failing my maths?

I failed my maths GCSE first time round, but passed it 3 months later. I’m applying for a Psychology degree, and I have to put my failed grade down on my UCAS, as well as my pass grade. Will this put me at a disadvantage? Will unis look at this and assume I won’t be able to handle the maths??
Reply 1
why do you have to put it down? I put the wrong dates for when i got my gcses an no one said anything and didnt include french i got a D in
Original post by tomlfc
why do you have to put it down? I put the wrong dates for when i got my gcses an no one said anything and didnt include french i got a D in

It said on a uni form written by the student room that you have to put it down :frown:
Reply 3
I'd risk not putting it on but thats me obviously you do you, just say you didnt know or something
Original post by tomlfc
I'd risk not putting it on but thats me obviously you do you, just say you didnt know or something

I’m just worried because I know how much statistics is involved in a psych degree and I don’t want them to see my failed maths and assume that I won’t be able to do it, and then reject me for it
Reply 5
Sorry, I am not the right person to answer your question. But I know one thing for sure, don't listen to this person who tells you not to put your grade on. That would be really stupid as you risk being withdrawn from any university you applied for. That would be fraud as UCAS clearly states that you have to declare every grade you achieved. They might also check it so definitely put every grade on it, even the bad ones.
Reply 6
Don't put it then, not sure how many failed maths on my course but i'm doing loads of stats now and theyll talk you through it well enough the first year is basically getting everyone up to the same point so it shouldnt matter in theory
Original post by ak239139
Sorry, I am not the right person to answer your question. But I know one thing for sure, don't listen to this person who tells you not to put your grade on. That would be really stupid as you risk being withdrawn from any university you applied for. That would be fraud as UCAS clearly states that you have to declare every grade you achieved. They might also check it so definitely put every grade on it, even the bad ones.

Thank you for your reply! I would always put my grade on there, I’m just really worried that I won’t get an offer or I’ll be less likely to get one based on the fact I failed first time around. I passed 3 months later, but I’m worried I’ll still be at a disadvantage :frown:
Reply 8
They 100% dont check all of the applications, does everyone follow ucas' regulations?? hm
Reply 9
Original post by katie091000
I failed my maths GCSE first time round, but passed it 3 months later?

On the plus side, if you received a pretty good grade the second time, this could possibly be seen as evidence of improvement. Shows that you're a motivated student? : D

Don't worry too much. If you have to put it on there anyway, worrying won't help. Just hope for the best!!
Original post by katie091000
It said on a uni form written by the student room that you have to put it down :frown:

You also confirm that you have given all relevant information when you submit your UCAS form - and grades obtained in any public exam that you have entered are, for some strange reason, included in what universities regard as relevant.

https://www.ucas.com/about-us/policies/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-undergraduate-declaration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending