The Student Room Group

UKMT Thread- 2018/2019

Scroll to see replies

Hi, does anyone here have any advice about how to improve proof writing in olympiads? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, just want to improve at it!)
Original post by olympiad1357
Hi, does anyone here have any advice about how to improve proof writing in olympiads? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, just want to improve at it!)

What is wrong with the proofs that you have done so far?
Original post by psc---maths
What is wrong with the proofs that you have done so far?

Well, I'm just not sure that they're written as a proof is meant to be done (I know this sounds vague but I want to know what a proof is supposed to look like)
Well, I'm just not sure that they're written as a proof is meant to be done (I know this sounds vague but I want to know what a proof is supposed to look like)

Provided your proof has no loopholes in logic you will get full marks. It doesn't matter if your proofs aren't as short or nice as solutions given (unless you are wanting an elegance prize). If you want them to look nicer you should try and space out your working and use lots of paragraphing. Justify things fully and use * to link previous ideas that you don't want to rewrite.
Has anyone heard anything about the mog recently?
Really curious about the award boundaries!

They aren't marking on style. As long as your proof makes logical sense, you'll get the marks. Of course a well-laid-out proof will be easier to read so the examiner may be able to better understand what you did, so don't use this as an excuse to be sloppy...

At BMO1 level, layout isn't a huge concern since (in my experience at least) proofs are rarely longer than a side of A4 or so. Just make sure you're precise with your language (e.g. "positive" means >0 whereas "non-negative" means >=0). It may be important to distinguish between a one-way implication (e.g. a number is even if it is divisible by 4) and a two-way implication (e.g. a number is even if and only if its square is divisible by 4). Also don't forget that if you're trying to minimise or maximise something (see Q2, Q5 and Q6 from last year's paper), you need to show both that your bound/answer is possible, and that it's impossible to go lower or higher.
Original post by Pastelx
Has anyone heard anything about the mog recently?
Really curious about the award boundaries!

Haven't received anything, and my school usually emails me UKMT stuff even in school holidays. Am checking the website every few days...
Markers report is now available for MOG:

https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/home/ukmog-2018-report.pdf

Looks like boundaries are going to be pretty high judging by the score distribution!
Reply 68
74-2.jpg

^^^^^ If I get into bmo1
Original post by Your Local Cat
74-2.jpg

^^^^^ If I get into bmo1

This implication is only true if the BMO1 qualifying score is at least 100...

It probably will be though.
Reply 70
I didn't think this through...
Original post by Your Local Cat
I didn't think this through...

This is what happens when you post on a maths thread...
Hoping for at least a bronze certificate this time! Not sure I could take my 6th year in a row going home empty handed :frown:
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
Hoping for at least a bronze certificate this time! Not sure I could take my 6th year in a row going home empty handed :frown:

If you just want a bronze, focus far more on the earlier questions. If you get the first 10 right and leave all the rest blank, you'll get 65 marks which was a strong bronze last year. If you focus on the first 15 and get 11 of them right (leaving the rest blank) then that will also get you 65. Don't be afraid to skip a question if you don't think you're realistically going to be able to do it in the time - you can always come back to it later.
Original post by Dysf(x)al
If you just want a bronze, focus far more on the earlier questions. If you get the first 10 right and leave all the rest blank, you'll get 65 marks which was a strong bronze last year. If you focus on the first 15 and get 11 of them right (leaving the rest blank) then that will also get you 65. Don't be afraid to skip a question if you don't think you're realistically going to be able to do it in the time - you can always come back to it later.

Thanks that’s really useful actually!
Reply 75
Hey everyone :smile:

I'm sitting the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge this Tuesday, feel free to post here about how you think that you've done, how you're preparing/you've prepared and what you're aiming to get.

I'll start ^-^

Year: 12

A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Portuguese and Spanish - Ican't take Double Maths as I'm not allowed :frown:

Aiming for: Silver

How am I preparing?: Doing UKMT Past Papers and trying to get questions 1-20 correct in all papers. (Not going well, only making it to 15-16 :rofl: )
A Levels: English, Geography, Maths and Politics
Aiming for: just to get at least 3 questions right lmaoo
How am I preparing: so our year thought it stopped at year 11 and they suddenly announced that my whole class has to participate on Friday so since I barely have time to prepare I'm not even expecting a bronze because I have no idea how this works or what to do so like ?? but obviously I want to do well and I care a lot about my grades so I'll do questions I can find online when I've completed all my homework for the week.

This really sucks because I'm planning on (so far at least I could change my mind) dropping math next year and it would've been nice if I had more time to prepare. Plus I always wanted to be in set 1 and so the only time I'm doing math challenge won't even be that good which is eh if you guys can throw me all your tips I'd appreciate it :h:
Reply 77
Original post by rainclouds-
A Levels: English, Geography, Maths and Politics
Aiming for: just to get at least 3 questions right lmaoo
How am I preparing: so our year thought it stopped at year 11 and they suddenly announced that my whole class has to participate on Friday so since I barely have time to prepare I'm not even expecting a bronze because I have no idea how this works or what to do so like ?? but obviously I want to do well and I care a lot about my grades so I'll do questions I can find online when I've completed all my homework for the week.

This really sucks because I'm planning on (so far at least I could change my mind) dropping math next year and it would've been nice if I had more time to prepare. Plus I always wanted to be in set 1 and so the only time I'm doing math challenge won't even be that good which is eh if you guys can throw me all your tips I'd appreciate it :h:

The first 20 questions are usually really logical. Think carefully about what you need. Learn some past paper methods and look at the extended solutions from 2017 until 2010 and you'll know most, that's the best last minute revision tip I guess ;P
Original post by Crow_M
The first 20 questions are usually really logical. Think carefully about what you need. Learn some past paper methods and look at the extended solutions from 2017 until 2010 and you'll know most, that's the best last minute revision tip I guess ;P

Oooh where do I find extended solutions?
Original post by Crow_M

thanks ahahaha
i'm gonna bombard you with questions now ;P
how many questions are there and how many do you need right for each stage? is it better to complete most/all the questions or to get the questions you do right? does working out matter or only getting to the right answer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending