The Student Room Group

Should I take A-Level Law

I'm in year 11 and I am picking my A-levels. I definitely want to take psychology and English Language however and I am trying to pick between Biology and Law.
To be honest I really don't want to take A-Level Biology but I don't know whether it would be a good idea just in case I change my mind. I am interested in Criminology but I'm aware there are very few jobs available compared to Law.
Please, can you tell me what the Law A-Level cause is like?

Scroll to see replies

exactly what im wondering right now!
as someone who did biology, i would consider not choosing either.

Law isn't that respected as an A level and Biology is very heavy work (memorisation of a lot of material) for someone who isn't necessarily going to do a degree in it

edit: have a look at history, geography or economics
Law is extremely hard work especialy if you'll easily lose interest - there are a lot of differentt unites to the law A-level which may ot be as interesting. I completely disagree with regards to how it's seen as a qualification though, Law is extremely respected. I'd go biology if you have good grades from GCSE's as this'll contribute towards your knowledge needed for A-level.
Reply 4
Original post by CollectiveSoul

Law isn't that respected as an A level and Biology is very heavy work (memorisation of a lot of material) for someone who isn't necessarily going to do a degree in it

Thanks could you maybe just let me know a few bits of the content of the Law A-Level because as much as I don't want to take Biology , i don't know what else to do.
I’m in year 13 and applying for criminology. I did a level law in year 12 but thankfully dropped it bc I hated it soooo much ( I was so excited to study it at college and at uni) it was so content heavy (ocr) and boring. What annoyed me to the most is that they said a level law is nothing like law at uni!
And idk why law isn’t ‘respected’ at a-level but ok. I wish I would’ve chosen gov& politics instead. My a-levels are English lit, psychology and sociology now.
Reply 6
Original post by whitneeyle
Law is extremely hard work especialy if you'll easily lose interest - there are a lot of differentt unites to the law A-level which may ot be as interesting. I completely disagree with regards to how it's seen as a qualification though, Law is extremely respected. I'd go biology if you have good grades from GCSE's as this'll contribute towards your knowledge needed for A-level.

Thanks, what sort of stuff do you do in the Law A-Level?
Reply 7
Original post by theuncannyshi
I’m in year 13 and applying for criminology. I did a level law in year 12 but thankfully dropped it bc I hated it soooo much ( I was so excited to study it at college and at uni) it was so content heavy (ocr) and boring. What annoyed me to the most is that they said a level law is nothing like law at uni!
And idk why law isn’t ‘respected’ at a-level but ok. I wish I would’ve chosen gov& politics instead. My a-levels are English lit, psychology and sociology now.

What did you do in Law A-Level?
You study topics such as the roles of Parliament and how a law is created, civil and criminal law - and the correct courts, punishments for criminal law, torts etc.
Reply 9

Law is respected
Original post by abigail.mcc
What did you do in Law A-Level?

Tort law, criminal law , the legal system etc
Original post by whitneeyle
You study topics such as the roles of Parliament and how a law is created, civil and criminal law - and the correct courts, punishments for criminal law, torts etc.

To me at least that sounds quite interesting but obviously I've never taken the course so do you think its worth it?
I definitely enjoy it as it's a route I would like to take but if you're not thoroughly interested then it may become a lot of hard work for something that bores you! I enjoy it but there's so much to it!
Original post by sunn98
Law is respected

not as an A level
not as an A level

I obsessed over whether or not my A levels were ''respected'' or not when I was picking them but once you actually do them you realise that it doesn't matter at all. As long as you take 1-2 facilitating subjects it really doesn't matter what you take. Grades > subjects (in most cases).
Original post by MinaBee
I obsessed over whether or not my A levels were ''respected'' or not when I was picking them but once you actually do them you realise that it doesn't matter at all. As long as you take 1-2 facilitating subjects it really doesn't matter what you take. Grades > subjects (in most cases).

this is true, but Law is an infamously dry subject so i told the OP to consider not choosing either or these two rather random options! i just don't see where she is going with it tbh
Original post by abigail.mcc
Thanks could you maybe just let me know a few bits of the content of the Law A-Level because as much as I don't want to take Biology , i don't know what else to do.

Look at the spec for ocr law for example
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/315216-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-law-h415.pdf
One bullet points is a lot of cases and laws and evaluation
not as an A level

Well yes it is that is why it’s on the preferred subjects on Russell group universities such as ucl
What matters is your grade
If you get CAA for biology English and psychology but get AAA for law English and psychology they would accept the person who sat law not biology
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey, fellow Year 11 here! (also an aspiring lawyer lol)

I heard a rumour that top unis don't prefer Law as an A-Level, but rather the 'studious' subjects. I can't guarantee that though.

Take the one you enjoy and are more likely to put effort in. Good luck!
Original post by RazzzBerries
Hey, fellow Year 11 here! (also an aspiring lawyer lol)

I heard a rumour that top unis don't prefer Law as an A-Level, but rather the 'studious' subjects. I can't guarantee that though.

Take the one you enjoy and are more likely to put effort in. Good luck!

hi! i’m also in year 11 and have heard this rumour too! i am an aspiring lawyer also and am at the moment taking a level law aswell as english lit/lang and sociology with criminology.

would anybody be able to clear this rumour up and/or explain it to me?

thankyou 😁

Quick Reply