The Student Room Group

Hit parked car

Hello everyone. I need advice!
Problem is, I passed my driving test couple weeks ago. At first day in car by my own, I hit parked car at shopping car park. I meet owner of the car, we decide not ring police and what I will pay for that, left a hand writted paper with my details (name, address, driving license number, reg number of the car) and describe of damage. After 1 week owner told me, what I need go throw my insurance, because his car own different company (probably finance)... what should I do? Still offer my payment or ring insurance? Insurance is third part fire and thiefs and I'm additional driver, not a main. Please, help me
Reply 1
Original post by YoungDriver
Hello everyone. I need advice!
Problem is, I passed my driving test couple weeks ago. At first day in car by my own, I hit parked car at shopping car park. I meet owner of the car, we decide not ring police and what I will pay for that, left a hand writted paper with my details (name, address, driving license number, reg number of the car) and describe of damage. After 1 week owner told me, what I need go throw my insurance, because his car own different company (probably finance)... what should I do? Still offer my payment or ring insurance? Insurance is third part fire and thiefs and I'm additional driver, not a main. Please, help me

WhY yOu CuMiN fAsSt

Spoiler

You have to tell your insurance, this isn't optional and they won't be pleased you delayed in telling them. You're screwing over the main driver as well.
Reply 3
Original post by nevershear
You have to tell your insurance, this isn't optional and they won't be pleased you delayed in telling them. You're screwing over the main driver as well.

Main driver is my part of family. What if we gone tell them like main driver done that? That makes insurance easier?
Main driver is my part of family. What if we gone tell them like main driver done that? That makes insurance easier?

How will committing fraud 'make it easier'?

If you get find out, nothing good will come of it.

It's not like they just pay out, the person you crashed into may say it was a young driver, and if you're named on the policy and the other person is older, it will be completely obvious.

Tell the truth, and try to drive more carefully in future. Car parks are absolute death traps because people drink like idiots - don't be one of them!
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
How will committing fraud 'make it easier'?

I doent want to do fraud...
Im worried about that! And try find best option! Because I find garage who can fix that, and owner now wants to use insurance...
I doent want to do fraud...
Im worried about that! And try find best option! Because I find garage who can fix that, and owner now wants to use insurance...

It's really simple.

You crashed into a parked car.
You had an accident.
You have to tell your insurance company

I don't really get why this is complicated?
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If you get find out, nothing good will come of it.

It's not like they just pay out, the person you crashed into may say it was a young driver, and if you're named on the policy and the other person is older, it will be completely obvious.

Tell the truth, and try to drive more carefully in future. Car parks are absolute death traps because people drink like idiots - don't be one of them!

I just dont know what is best option...
Im young driver and young parent! I doesnt wan to loose my license!
Im 30 years, and owner is around 50! Its wasnt big crash... there was couple scratches and door weebit bumped in!
I just dont know what is best option...
Im young driver and young parent! I doesnt wan to loose my license!
Im 30 years, and owner is around 50! Its wasnt big crash... there was couple scratches and door weebit bumped in!

You're not going to lose your license over it. Accidents happen to the best of us and if damage is minimal it'll just get paid to be fixed and that will be that. Your insurance will likely rise next year but it might not be too much.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You're not going to lose your license over it. Accidents happen to the best of us and if damage is minimal it'll just get paid to be fixed and that will be that. Your insurance will likely rise next year but it might not be too much.

Thank you

No, that'll get the insurance cancelled and probably a conviction for fraud. You'd also both get 6 points on your license each for your troubles (as you'd be misrepresenting who was driving the car, which is as serious as failing to provide information).

Also for reference, a couple of scratches and a tiny dent as caused damage - the owner of the car has the right to have that damage rectified back to OEM spec, even if it wasn't in the best condition before. A panel respray and dent removal is in the regions of 300-400 pounds for standard paint; more if it's premium or wrapped.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending