The Student Room Group

Access course

Is it possible to do 2 access courses in 1 year? The awarding body is the same OCN. As I'm 22 years old should the access courses be free?
Original post by Sara1411
Is it possible to do 2 access courses in 1 year? The awarding body is the same OCN. As I'm 22 years old should the access courses be free?

Access courses arent free.
Why do you want to do 2?
What makes you think you could cope?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Access courses arent free.
Why do you want to do 2?

I don't have a level 3 qualifications so it is free for me. Additionally the criminology access has no exams only assignment.
Original post by Sara1411
I don't have a level 3 qualifications so it is free for me. Additionally the criminology access has no exams only assignment.

Are you 19 or older?
Why do you want 2?
I would strongly advise you not to do two access courses in a year. I got into university and did my degree through access, and I don't recall seeing any universities asking for two access diplomas to get in. There were a couple that didn't accept access, but even Oxford and Cambridge took in people who had relevant access diplomas for some courses (albeit with all distinctions). From memory, most of the better performing universities require 45 credits at distinction.

Besides the fact that universities don't ask for two diplomas, I think you might be underestimating the difficulty level of an access course. The rationale behind it is to do the equivalent of two years of A levels in a single year in order to prove that you're competent enough to cope with an undergraduate degree. I did mine whilst working part-time, and I found it more difficult than my first year at university. Unless you are exceptionally talented and are able to dedicate yourself solely to the access courses with no distractions (no work or social life for example), I can't see how this would work. You'd also have to get your college (or more likely a couple colleges) to agree to it and make the hours fit around your schedule, and it seems unlikely that they would agree to that.

Finally, I don't believe you would get both of them for free. I did an access course for free because I was under 25 and it was my first level 3 qualification. The fee waiver only applies to your first level 3 qualification, which means you would have to pay for one of them. Seriously though, you're making it harder than it has to be. Doing a single access course in a year is already difficult enough (especially if you have been out of school for a long time and/or didn't do very well at school), so taking on two would burn you out as soon as the difficulty mounted up. To put this into context, out of the ten people that started on my own access course (small enrollment), only four of us made it to the end and got the diploma. Two at once would be unthinkable.

Quick Reply

Latest