Jair Bolsonaro: Far-right candidate wins Brazil poll Watch

MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Far-right candidate Jair Bolsonaro has won a sweeping victory in Brazil's presidential election.

With almost all of the votes counted, Mr Bolsonaro has 55% of the votes against 45% for Fernando Haddad from the left-wing Workers Party.

Mr Bolsonaro campaigned on a promise to eradicate corruption and to drive down Brazil's high crime levels.

The election campaign has been deeply divisive. Each camp argued that victory for the other could destroy Brazil.

The result represents a marked right-wing swing in the country which was under military rule from 1964 to 1985.

Pointing to the number of former members of the military he surrounds himself with, his opponents argue that Mr Bolsonaro poses a risk to Brazil's democracy.

Mr Bolsonaro also alienated many Brazilians with his homophobic, racist and misogynistic remarks.

But many of his supporters view him as a "saviour" who will make Brazil safer and who will stand for traditional values such as opposing the legalisation of abortion.

One of Mr Bolsonaro's flagship campaign issues has been to increase security for Brazilian citizens. He has portrayed himself as a hardliner who will restore safety to Brazil's streets.

He has indicated that his government will aim to relax laws restricting the ownership and carrying of guns.

His economic policy plans include proposals to reduce government "waste" and promises to reduce state intervention in the economy.

He has suggested that Brazil could pull out of the 2015 Paris Agreement on climate change, arguing that its requirements compromise Brazil's sovereignty over the Amazon region.

Mr Bolsonaro has also said that he will "cleanse" Brazil of corrupt politicians, a campaign promise which has been very popular with Brazilians who say they are tired of the corruption which has seen dozens of high-ranking politicians from the established parties jailed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46013408

What do we think about this? Personally, it's quite a worrying sign that Brazil has lurched back to the right, particularly towards someone who is known for having a very close relationship to the military. Latin American and the military of course having a very chequered history.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great news. The Venezuelans now have a safe haven nearby.
Spirithorse
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Having just returned from living in Brazil, i'm heartbroken! He is a deeply divisive figure whose remarks on a range of issues, such as an apparent support for torture and hostility towards refugees, LGBT+ people and women, earned him the nickname of "Trump of the Tropics".

He has even said he is "in favour of dictatorship" and indicated that he supports developing on protected indigenous lands – which scientists claim would be a disaster for climate change. He also wants to relax gun laws so “every honest citizen” can own a gun.

This is not what Brazil or the world needs right now!
Do diddley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
Great news. The Venezuelans now have a safe haven nearby.
You obviously are not familiar with his policies yet you mindlessly celebrate. :rolleyes:
Phallic boy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fantastic. Let’s see him crush the left by whatever means necessary.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A man who wants to destroy what's left of the Amazon and revoke protection for indigenous groups, including wanting to arm ranchers who have already murdered indigenous people and environmentalists. He's talked about criminalising certain political parties and declaring activist groups as terrorists.

He's fascist scum, pure and simple.
username4301878
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good

(Original post by Spirithorse)
Having just returned from living in Brazil, i'm heartbroken! He is a deeply divisive figure whose remarks on a range of issues, such as an apparent support for torture and hostility towards refugees, LGBT+ people and women, earned him the nickname of "Trump of the Tropics".

He has even said he is "in favour of dictatorship" and indicated that he supports developing on protected indigenous lands – which scientists claim would be a disaster for climate change. He also wants to relax gun laws so “every honest citizen” can own a gun.

This is not what Brazil or the world needs right now!
Minus the torture, this is exactly what Brazil needs.
crazychameleon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
His planned policies in regard for the environment are deeply, deeply worrying. Selling off swathes of the Amazon that belongs to indigenous peoples to criminal logging and mining organisations will have huge impacts on biodiversity, set us back in our tackling of climate change and further destroys the way of life of Amazonian tribes.

Instead of ending corruption, he is legalising it with him at the centre.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)

This is not what Brazil or the world needs right now
His support of torture is for criminals and traitors. He doesnt dislike women or LGBT people, he just doesn't care which in all honesty is better than every issue in the Western world having a back seat compared to unsegregated bathrooms. Dictatorship is better than democracy, there is actually a very vocal minority here on TSR who are in favour of it, the populace cannot be trusted to know what is best for the country. As for the development on indigenous lands, that's not entirely true, he wants to shrink the area that is protected. As for every citizen owning a gun, if I lived in Brazil I would want to be armed, have you ever been to a favela? Poor scum mugging and shooting people on the daily, i'm assuming by "just returned from living in Brazil" you actually lived in a very rich part?
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Typical indigestion by the Left in the face of another electoral defeat, he may be all that the BBC and the Guardian frighten us with but... he defeated their preferred leftist candidate by a mile. It's that pesky thing of having to deal with the people, that irritating bunch that keeps getting in the way of world domination, isn't it?
Last edited by username1738683; 1 year ago
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Do diddley)
You obviously are not familiar with his policies yet you mindlessly celebrate. :rolleyes:
Yeah, neither are Brazilian people the way you put it. Too late to tell them now, should've got in there earlier and saved the world.

Mind you, there was someone who tried to kill him.
Last edited by username1738683; 1 year ago
hazmort
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I bet if he was far left nobody would talking about him even though its equally as bad as far right
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
His support of torture is for criminals and traitors, perfectly acceptable.
:lolwut:

Sure, let's just bin off human rights and let fascism take over. What could go wrong?
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hazmort)
I bet if he was far left nobody would talking about him even though its equally as bad as far right
Lefties are totalitarian-minded people, even the ones who aren't aware of it. Hence their discomfort at non-favorable electoral outcomes anywhere in the world, their inability to 'live with it' when someone else wrestles power from their grasp.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
. He doesnt dislike women or LGBT people, he just doesn't care
"I have five children. Four were boys, on the fifth I got weak and had a daughter."

"I'm not going to combat or discriminate, but if I see two men kissing on the street, I'm going to hit them."

If you think he doesn't hate women and LGBT people then you don't have the slightest clue about who he is. He's a ****ing fash, pure and simple
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
"I have five children. Four were boys, on the fifth I got weak and had a daughter."

"I'm not going to combat or discriminate, but if I see two men kissing on the street, I'm going to hit them."

If you think he doesn't hate women and LGBT people then you don't have the slightest clue about who he is. He's a ****ing fash, pure and simple
That first one is literally banter, guess the Libtard city folk don't understand what that is and the second one is the attitude of most people living outside of major towns and cities in the West let alone what is effectively a thirld world country. Much rather someone like him running the UK than comrade Corbyn.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That first one is literally banter, guess the Libtard city folk don't understand what that is and the second one is the attitude of most people living outside of major towns and cities in the West let alone what is effectively a thirld world country. Much rather someone like him running the UK than comrade Corbyn.
If you'd rather a fash run the country than someone well meaning and vaguely left wing (his policies aren't that far from social democratic parties from the continent) then you're part of the problem with the world.

We've already had the discussion on whether the sort of views this guy, Duerte in the Philippines and their ilk hold. It was called the 1930s and 1940s, and we got fortunate that the guy then made the remarkably poor judgement call to fight a war on two fronts with two powerful countries. We don't need it again, people who support fash policies need to be silent
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
If you'd rather a fash run the country than someone well meaning and vaguely left wing (his policies aren't that far from social democratic parties from the continent) then you're part of the problem with the world.

We've already had the discussion on whether the sort of views this guy, Duerte in the Philippines and their ilk hold. It was called the 1930s and 1940s, and we got fortunate that the guy then made the remarkably poor judgement call to fight a war on two fronts with two powerful countries. We don't need it again, people who support fash policies need to be silent
People who support certain policies need to be silent? That's about as useful as saying liberal soyboys in the cities need to be culled.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Do diddley)
I'm sure he's against illegal immigration. But luckily there is a fantastic alternative. Legal immigration!
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People who support certain policies need to be silent? That's about as useful as saying liberal soyboys in the cities need to be culled.
People who support the return of the 1930s, with the rampant persecution of a lot of minorities do need to be silent yeah. It's about basic decency - if people just want to use their free speech to attack the freedom of others then they're children who need to be sat in the corner and made to think about what they've done.

No doubt some will come in and talk about it being a joke to "trigger the libs" and those people need to remember Proverbs 26:18-19 - "Like a maniac shooting flaming arrows of death is one who deceives their neighbor and says, “I was only joking!”"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (48)
75%
No I haven't decided yet (10)
15.63%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
9.38%

Watched Threads