The Student Room Group

Gender pay gap

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
So-called affirmative action is an abomination.

It has to occur until the system is fairer.
Reply 61
There isn't a pay gap.

The best person gets the job. Any statistics given to this is is usually wrong. Probably 99.99% of the statistics passed around, because of more than one variable in the result.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
You have completely lost the plot. I never made that claim.

I argued the point that, if women choose to follow men’s approach of not providing adequate child support for their offspring, there could be an issue with the child, given that no proper alternative support is provided. Childcare is expensive and we assume that everyone, who chooses to not support their child, has the means to provide alternative support. That has been the point.

The other poster accused me of trying to force my SJW view on others and attempting to dictate how partners choose to raise their offspring. I disagreed with the wild accusation and stated that, if women try to reduce their maternity leave in a bid to return to work in order to avoid being a victim of gender pay disparity, then there may be a gradual issue that we may face.

The major argument on this thread is two-fold, i think:

1. That pay gap does not exist.
2. That pay gap exists but it is the fault of women for leaving the work environment to have babies.

I disagreed with the first point and stated that the second point has been down to historical discrimination that expected women to have and take care of babies whilst the men worked. This still exists today, where men are allowed just 2 weeks of paid paternity leave while women are allowed up to 9 months.

So my solution was to offer a shared parental leave that will ensure men can contribute to the home and also allow women to return earlier to work and compete properly in the professional ladder.

I am sorry, before I got to discuss the main argument of the thread, I had to make sure we ironed out any assumptions, one of which being the effect and likelihood of your "hypothetical situation", of course neither you or me know what may happen but since you daringly used an assumption to support your MAIN view I had to discuss it further.

Now, I believe your exacts words were "I am talking about situations where the men refuse to get actively involved and the women also refuse, thereby pushing the children to third party providers or abandon them completely." Your point was that both adults "refuse" care for a child, right? You then used the "gender pay desparity" and its disadavantages towards careera progressiona reason for this. You took a fictional concept (gender pay gap) to try and make a hypothetical situation (child abandonment) only to then bring up simply incorrect consequences (NHS?) So please tell me, how exactly I missed the plot in what you were trying to say?

No matter how you slice it, women are biologically more suited to caring for a child i.e. breastfeeding, changing in frequency detection to hear baby crying so it is entirely understandable why their allowed leave is longer thant that of a male.

Your solution already exists, England, Wales and Scotland employees are eligible for SPL and ShPP. This allocates 12 weeks for maternity leave and 40 weeks for shared parental leave. So women can go to work earlier and men can also get involved much more if they wanted to. I am assuming we are talking about the UK here, but I am sure similar systems exist internationally.
Besides, this is going to be a future issue and not a past one.

Look who's assuming now. Of course, yet again you have not backed up your claim with any evidence.
Original post by yudothis
Fantastic, that means in no ones house this could possibly be happening.

Well, I presume it must be happening in yours since you are so worried about it. I suggest you stop it now.
It has to occur until the system is fairer.

Absolutely not! It is unfair and damaging in itself and you have not yet even made the case that change is needed.
Oh wow, another gender pay gap thread. It's almost like this issue hasn't been raised and put to bed over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. does anyone actually believe women get paid significantly less than men simply because they're women? Any sane person would realise experience, skill set, prestige, ability to do the job, negotiation skills and any number of other factors affect how people are paid more than what's in your pants.
Original post by smhedfkuwj
I am sorry, before I got to discuss the main argument of the thread, I had to make sure we ironed out any assumptions, one of which being the effect and likelihood of your "hypothetical situation", of course neither you or me know what may happen but since you daringly used an assumption to support your MAIN view I had to discuss it further.

Now, I believe your exacts words were "I am talking about situations where the men refuse to get actively involved and the women also refuse, thereby pushing the children to third party providers or abandon them completely." Your point was that both adults "refuse" care for a child, right? You then used the "gender pay desparity" and its disadavantages towards careera progressiona reason for this. You took a fictional concept (gender pay gap) to try and make a hypothetical situation (child abandonment) only to then bring up simply incorrect consequences (NHS?) So please tell me, how exactly I missed the plot in what you were trying to say?

No matter how you slice it, women are biologically more suited to caring for a child i.e. breastfeeding, changing in frequency detection to hear baby crying so it is entirely understandable why their allowed leave is longer thant that of a male.

Your solution already exists, England, Wales and Scotland employees are eligible for SPL and ShPP. This allocates 12 weeks for maternity leave and 40 weeks for shared parental leave. So women can go to work earlier and men can also get involved much more if they wanted to. I am assuming we are talking about the UK here, but I am sure similar systems exist internationally.

Now, I understand where you are coming from. You think the gender pay gap is a myth.
Look who's assuming now. Of course, yet again you have not backed up your claim with any evidence.
Absolutely not! It is unfair and damaging in itself and you have not yet even made the case that change is needed.

I am tired of arguing with you. I have made the case about the clear gender pay disparity that is present. Yet, you refuse to acknowledge it.
Yet, you refuse to acknowledge it.

On the contrary, I acknowledge it and have explained the major factor. You must be confusing me with someone else.
On the contrary, I acknowledge it and have explained the major factor. You must be confusing me with someone else.

If you acknowledge that there is a problem, then why don't you see that a change is needed?
Well, I presume it must be happening in yours since you are so worried about it. I suggest you stop it now.

Not everyone is an old fart with kids like you.

But hey "I can't see it happening, ergo it must not be happening" logic is always the best. "What racism, I never experienced racism, it can't exist". bye bye now.
Now, I understand where you are coming from. You think the gender pay gap is a myth.

I will make my view clear, the gender pay gap you referred is confused with pay discrimination, which is why I referred to it that way. The gender pay gap does exist, but wages are allocated equitably. in most cases.
(edited 5 years ago)
If you acknowledge that there is a problem, then why don't you see that a change is needed?

I don't see trying to force families to live a different way to what they want, as you seem intent on doing, is a sensible approach. Neither is saddling business with social engineering.
Original post by yudothis
bye bye now.

Bye bye. You must have a busy round of social justice battles to fight and a load of liberality is probably happening which you really need to exert a regressive influence on.
I will make my view clear, the gender pay gap you referred is confused with pay discrimination, which is why I referred to it that way. The gender pay gap does exist, but wages are allocated equitably. in most cases.

You should read my initial post. I stated that pay discrimination is different to the pay gap, which is what you have just confirmed.
I don't see trying to force families to live a different way to what they want, as you seem intent on doing, is a sensible approach. Neither is saddling business with social engineering.

Nobody is forcing families to live differently. People are just advocating equal parental leave. It is up to the individual to take the leave or not. Nobody is shoving additional holiday in their face.
I expect to be treated the same as any other candidate for a job, promotion, whatever, and paid and treated the same as anyone else in the same position. I expect employers who discriminate to be held accountable. Every single person has that right. End of.
Pay gap is a myth, all it does is highlight the difference in average earnings between genders. Biggest factor is choice of careers, time off for childcare and less hours, men work more hors and more overtime on average. It's a myth perpetuated by the SJWs as a way to put the blame on their low wages on men and not the fact they have a BA in Art or BA in Media Studies.
What do you think of the Gender Tax Gap. Men currently pay 200% more tax each year than women. You can look at the underlying statistics at the National Statistics Office website. Income and tax, by gender, region and countryhttps://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/income-and-tax-by-gender-region-and-country-2010-to-2011

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending