The Student Room Group

A level history..

What’s A level history like? Is it similar to GCSE (in content)?
Obviously i’m aware it’ll be harder but what are the topics?
(AQA)
I am in year 12 and just started A LEVEL History it is difficult but I feel the only thing that changes is how much more they want in terms of essay structure.It is probably my favourite subject and I think you should give it a go. About the topics it depends what your school chooses to teach you.
Reply 2
Original post by victoriu
I am in year 12 and just started A LEVEL History it is difficult but I feel the only thing that changes is how much more they want in terms of essay structure.It is probably my favourite subject and I think you should give it a go. About the topics it depends what your school chooses to teach you.

Yeah i expected the difficulty but i don’t mind it.
Original post by K_lawal
What’s A level history like? Is it similar to GCSE (in content)?
Obviously i’m aware it’ll be harder but what are the topics?
(AQA)

I am a year 13 and A Level history is one of my favourite subjects ever. In my school we chose to do 'The Making of Modern Britain 1951-2007' and 'The Quest for Political Stability: Germany 1871-1991', I can honestly say the subjects have made me more politically aware and it is reflecting in my essays. The biggest change I would say is how much factual knowledge you have to know in order to get a high mark, I'm talking statistics like the amount of people evoking their right to vote at a specific election. It's a lot harder but if you stay ontop of everything and are prepared to read ahead and have a strong opinion then you will succeed.
Reply 4
Original post by HistoryPegs
I am a year 13 and A Level history is one of my favourite subjects ever. In my school we chose to do 'The Making of Modern Britain 1951-2007' and 'The Quest for Political Stability: Germany 1871-1991', I can honestly say the subjects have made me more politically aware and it is reflecting in my essays. The biggest change I would say is how much factual knowledge you have to know in order to get a high mark, I'm talking statistics like the amount of people evoking their right to vote at a specific election. It's a lot harder but if you stay ontop of everything and are prepared to read ahead and have a strong opinion then you will succeed.

Thanks!
How come i need to have an opinion (not that i’m opposed) it’s just that at gcse, i don’t really project opinions into my answers. Should i be?
Original post by K_lawal
Thanks!
How come i need to have an opinion (not that i’m opposed) it’s just that at gcse, i don’t really project opinions into my answers. Should i be?

In GCSE, from what I can remember, you just need to ensure that you are balanced and come to a conclusion overall. This is similar to A level but you just need to make sure you show your opinion off a little more. This is mostly done mostly through a slight change in structure. It's needed because it shows the examiner that you engage with the question fully, don't worry about it too much now - that is for A level.
Reply 6
Original post by HistoryPegs
In GCSE, from what I can remember, you just need to ensure that you are balanced and come to a conclusion overall. This is similar to A level but you just need to make sure you show your opinion off a little more. This is mostly done mostly through a slight change in structure. It's needed because it shows the examiner that you engage with the question fully, don't worry about it too much now - that is for A level.

Oh right thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest