The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Of course they can, anyone can be a feminist, even men! There is no requirement to be a feminist - other than the fact you wish women are equal to men
Original post by melissaanna
Of course they can, anyone can be a feminist, even men! There is no requirement to be a feminist - other than the fact you wish women are equal to men

Yeah but they are Muslims though.
Original post by Andrew97
Grabs popcorn

Put your popcorn away!
I'm a Muslim female feminist here, AMA. 29 years old, living in Pakistan, practising Muslim. I fast, give charity, pray five times a day etc. I do not cover my hair. I do dress modestly.
Original post by eyemconfused
i'm a muslim female feminist here, ama. 29 years old, living in pakistan, practising muslim. I fast, give charity, pray five times a day etc. I do not cover my hair. I do dress modestly.

faaaaakkkeeee
Why couldn’t she ? I’d say there are lots of liberal Muslims, some might be feminists
Original post by Captain flatbum
Yeah but they are Muslims though.

I'm a muslim guy, and i can say that women have a big part in islamic, and wider, history, and that islam does not discourage women's equality. Women were given many roles in classical islamic society, such as running markets and universities (the first ever university was made and run by a muslim woman) while the prophet (pbuh)'s wife was the owner of a large business. There is no matter of religious suppression of women's rights, islamically womens rights were very clear cut, and actually way ahead of their time.
Original post by Hailey.Lennon
faaaaakkkeeee

What makes you say that?
Original post by EyeMConfused
I'm a Muslim female feminist here, AMA. 29 years old, living in Pakistan, practising Muslim. I fast, give charity, pray five times a day etc. I do not cover my hair. I do dress modestly.

Lol at "Pakistani feminists".
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ishaikh3434
I'm a muslim guy, and i can say that women have a big part in islamic, and wider, history, and that islam does not discourage women's equality. Women were given many roles in classical islamic society, such as running markets and universities (the first ever university was made and run by a muslim woman) while the prophet (pbuh)'s wife was the owner of a large business. There is no matter of religious suppression of women's rights, islamically womens rights were very clear cut, and actually way ahead of their time.

It's a shame that many of those who practice Islam are yet to catch up.
What makes you say that?

No such thing as a Pakistani feminist. That is like believing in fairies.
Original post by Wooord
Why couldn’t she ? I’d say there are lots of liberal Muslims, some might be feminists

Apparently Muslim females are not equal to men in Islam. So being a feminist is a contradiction to the religion. But I might be wrong.
Apparently Muslim females are not equal to men in Islam. So being a feminist is a contradiction to the religion. But I might be wrong.

Muslims interpret teachings all the time. You could be a Muslim feminist and tell others your interpretation of Islamic teachings. What would be the need for feminism if there was already perfect equality?
Lol at "Pakistani feminists".

No such thing as a Pakistani feminist. That is like believing in fairies.

So you're summarily dismissing half the population of an entire country, that you've only ever heard of on television. No possibility of any exceptions?
Original post by ishaikh3434

But what kind of wife should be willing to share her husband without questioning his decision?

That does not sound fair to me.
(edited 5 years ago)
So you're summarily dismissing half the population of an entire country, that you've only ever heard of on television. No possibility of any exceptions?

The feminist movement in Pakistan is just as successful as the one in India.

Unsuccessful, yes. Non-existent, like fairies, no. Striving hard every day, definitely.

And your evidence ? Pakistan has even had a female president, where as the USA which is considered to be one of the most developed country, is still to have one

Latest

Trending

Trending