The Student Room Group

Transcribing of University Podcasts for Biomedical Science BSc degree.

Does anybody know of any good ways to take a university lecture podcast and have the audio transcribed. I am behind on lecture notes and I am not sure how else to catch up.
I tried google docs voice typing but it could not keep up with the lecturer.
Does anybody know of any other good software that they have used? Or other methods such as getting a company to transcribe the podcast ? Thanks.
Depends on the style of lectures - I am sure many just pretty much read off the powerpoint so you could just work your way through them without ever listening to the lecturer speak. I will point out using any software to automate is pointless as then you have a written copy of material you are behind on and don't know. Best to work through it yourself and actually learn it as you go.
Original post by VMD100
Depends on the style of lectures - I am sure many just pretty much read off the powerpoint so you could just work your way through them without ever listening to the lecturer speak. I will point out using any software to automate is pointless as then you have a written copy of material you are behind on and don't know. Best to work through it yourself and actually learn it as you go.

Thanks for the reply. I am actually already in the second year, and pretty much all of my lecturers just put a picture / diagram up on the lecture slide and then spend 5 mins talking about it, without providing any notes on the slides.
I get that in an ideal world i would makes notes from the lecture and then go over and review those notes in the week but i simply do not have time.
At the moment I spend my time making notes from the podcast (take me at least 2 hrs for a 1 hr lecture as cant write at the speed that they speak), I find at the end I havn't actually learnt anything just got notes down that I then dont have time to review as I spend 8 hrs per day writing the notes in the first place.
If I could transcribe the lectures, I could then use the time that I would have spend writing the notes to go through them and highlight / make fliash card +test myself and read extra notes in a textbook (at the moment dont have time for any of this.

So thanks for your comment, but i my case I disagree that software to automate would be pointless. I just need to find one that is accurate enough and works (not sure if the technology exists yet), would be happy to pay for software if I know it is going to work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending