The Student Room Group

Do I have potential for Law?

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and considering a law degree at uni. I study Maths, English Lit, Biology and take an EPQ. Do my (mostly STEM) options hinder my study of law at top universities?

Also, is there anything I could do to boost my chances of being accepted into a top law course, such as debating etc?
Original post by carolinebaileyc
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and considering a law degree at uni. I study Maths, English Lit, Biology and take an EPQ. Do my (mostly STEM) options hinder my study of law at top universities?

Also, is there anything I could do to boost my chances of being accepted into a top law course, such as debating etc?

This combination of arts and sciences is perfect for law - it's a very successful preparatory course. Plus you've been sensible to do only three A levels and an EPQ, rather than try to do four or more A levels.

You need to be able to talk lucidly and convincingly about your interest in the law from an academic, not vocational point of view and why that leads you to want to study it. Try to read widely - the law reports in the Times on a Thursday are a good starting point.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
This combination of arts and sciences is perfect for law - it's a very successful preparatory course. Plus you've been sensible to do only three A levels and an EPQ, rather than try to do four or more A levels.

You need to be able to talk lucidly and convincingly about your interest in the law from an academic, not vocational point of view and why that leads you to want to study it. Try to read widely - the law reports in the Times on a Thursday are a good starting point.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely look at the times. Do you know of any good books I could read to deepen my understanding of law? Also, how can sciences be beneficial to law? Is it due to the methodical approach?
Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely look at the times. Do you know of any good books I could read to deepen my understanding of law? Also, how can sciences be beneficial to law? Is it due to the methodical approach?

There's a good few introductory law books (Lord Denning is a perennial favourite) - have a browse in your local bookshop.

Yes - science shows an ability to assimilate and synthesise a lot of information, an ability to make logical connexions between ideas and to deduce - all very relevant to law. Your arts subjects show your ability to write clearly and concisely - the combination of these is why an arts-science mix is so good.
Reply 4
There's a good few introductory law books (Lord Denning is a perennial favourite) - have a browse in your local bookshop.

Yes - science shows an ability to assimilate and synthesise a lot of information, an ability to make logical connexions between ideas and to deduce - all very relevant to law. Your arts subjects show your ability to write clearly and concisely - the combination of these is why an arts-science mix is so good.

Great stuff, thanks for all of your help!
Great stuff, thanks for all of your help!

You're welcome :smile:

Landmarks in the Law is a good intro.

His autobiographies are more interesting from a historical perspective -- going to the Lords when bombs are hitting Parliament.
Original post by Notoriety
Landmarks in the Law is a good intro.

His autobiographies are more interesting from a historical perspective -- going to the Lords when bombs are hitting Parliament.

:smile: Yes, very much so.
Reply 8
What do you mean by it being too late to do debating?
Reply 9
I was actually considering joining the debating society at my sixth form, so this wouldn’t be a one time thing. Also I don’t think it’s fair to say I’ve left it too late, when this is the first opportunity I’ve had to try debating.

Finally, what do you recommend i try doing instead that will look impressive without years of experience?

Thanks
Okay thanks for your advice. What do you study?
Cool what uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending