The Student Room Group

Depression - blood test?

Hi

I'm seeing my GP tomorrow about having depression and anxiety. I'm worried enough about the appointment but I have an irrational fear of having a blood test. How likely is it that I'll have to have one tomorrow? The thought of it is making me so anxious and my palms are sweaty just typing this.

I understand the importance but are there other ways to diagnose? Will it happen tomorrow or do I have to make another appointment?
Why are you having a blood test for depression?
Why would they give you a blood test for depression???????
You wont have wont tomorrow, they may send you for one at some point if you are diagnosed with depression and wish to be on medication. This is to check that you are ok to take certain drugs
Original post by Seamus123
Why are you having a blood test for depression?

Original post by Bill Nye
Why would they give you a blood test for depression???????

See my above posts, i've had 2 blood tests and an ECG in total for MH reasons to ensure i was ok to go on certain anti-depressants and anti-psychotics
Original post by CoolCavy
See my above posts, i've had 2 blood tests and an ECG in total for MH reasons to ensure i was ok to go on certain anti-depressants and anti-psychotics

Oh lmao sorry not an expert on these things

But I assume if it's their first time going, they're not going to be getting anti-depressants? idk though so ignore me

Never had a blood test. GP just pushed the prescription for Fluoxetine across the desk at me and that was it. Took all of the allocated 12 minutes.
Reply 7
ECG is more likely than a blood test. I'v been on various different anti-psychotics and one anti-depressant and never had a blood test, but it was recommended that i hav an ecg.
Original post by Bill Nye
Oh lmao sorry not an expert on these things

But I assume if it's their first time going, they're not going to be getting anti-depressants? idk though so ignore me

DW :smile: OP makes it sounds like the GPs use a blood test to diagnose you which is not true at all MH stuff cant be diagnosed by stuff in your blood its from a list of symptoms which i think is what your post was referring to
They may do but is likely they will have a follow up appointment, some GPs hand them out a bit easily imo because the waitslists for stuff like CBT to treat depression are so long so it's like an interim thing (a sort of better than nothing approach)
For depression and anxiety GPs can diagnose this (everything else has to go through a psychiatrist which can take a long time to arrange) but unlike with psychiatry where you have appointments months apart to show a persistent problem GPs take your word for it so tend to diagnose quicker.

Original post by Seamus123
Never had a blood test. GP just pushed the prescription for Fluoxetine across the desk at me and that was it. Took all of the allocated 12 minutes.

That's bad practise tbh, sorry you had a bad encounter. some GPs hand them out like sweets because of the lack of funding for therapies and stuff
Original post by _R_
ECG is more likely than a blood test. I'v been on various different anti-psychotics and one anti-depressant and never had a blood test, but it was recommended that i hav an ecg.

:five: what APs are you on if you are comfortable sharing (not really related to the OP but you dont see that many people on APs is more anti-Ds)
I meant they might suggest one to rule out other illnesses, not purely to diagnose the depression.
Reply 11
:five: what APs are you on if you are comfortable sharing (not really related to the OP but you dont see that many people on APs is more anti-Ds)

was on quetiapine low dose, then olanzapine, now back to quetiapine but a higher dose
Original post by _R_
was on quetiapine low dose, then olanzapine, now back to quetiapine but a higher dose

ah snap :five: good old quetiapine

Quick Reply

Latest